::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

We're making Mac and cheese today.

Classic béchamel foundation and then make it into a cheese sauce.

I say several times during my demo that the béchamel needs to cool a bit, not a lot, but it can't be straight from a boil then throw in the cheese. I made it a point to rest the béchamel for maybe 60 seconds and then only added about 1/4 C of cheese. I talked about tempering and the fact that cheese is milk solids and fat and it will separate if too hot. I added another 1/2 C and stirred until melted. I broke it down to adding the cheese to 4-5 portions. And patiently stirred until the sauce was creamy and smooth.

EVERY kitchen knows better than me. All six groups dumped the cheese into the béchamel while it was still on the burner. All six groups had gritty, mealy cheese sauce.

"This recipe sucks!"

Teenagers suck!

::end of vent::

Did you take the opportunity to say, "I'm sorry the recipe sucks! How many of you followed the instructions I modeled in the demonstration?"

Did you take the opportunity to say, "I'm sorry the recipe sucks! How many of you followed the instructions I modeled in the demonstration?"

And after nobody raises their hands (or they do and you shoot them down) you say, "So...it's not the recipe that sucks but your inability to follow instructions that sucks...right?"

And after nobody raises their hands (or they do and you shoot them down) you say, "So...it's not the recipe that sucks but your inability to follow instructions that sucks...right?"

Part of my now 20+ years of experience knows that it's because it's the Friday before a week long break. Our "ski week" is a much needed break. They're little brains are about to explode in anticipation.

I've had it maybe once and was underwhelmed.

Unless it’s BBQ’ed and then it’s awesome.

I have taken the eggplant challenge. Early on Mrs Pere would try to either: 1) tempt me with a yummy recipe; or, 2) try to sneak it past me. After about five years of eggplant parm, fried eggplant, grilled eggplant, Japanese eggplant, and eggplant every which way I finally got her to admit that I don't like it and won't ever like it. Flavorless, mushy in texture, and somehow retaining twice the oil it is fried in, it's just not my food.

I have had babaganoush, and while the flavor profile is OK (really, just OK, no more) it's still eggplant. So no.

Part of my now 20+ years of experience knows that it's because it's the Friday before a week long break. Our "ski week" is a much needed break. They're little brains are about to explode in anticipation.

Apostrophe foul.
Usage foul.

We're making Mac and cheese today.

Classic béchamel foundation and then make it into a cheese sauce.

I say several times during my demo that the béchamel needs to cool a bit, not a lot, but it can't be straight from a boil then throw in the cheese. I made it a point to rest the béchamel for maybe 60 seconds and then only added about 1/4 C of cheese. I talked about tempering and the fact that cheese is milk solids and fat and it will separate if too hot. I added another 1/2 C and stirred until melted. I broke it down to adding the cheese to 4-5 portions. And patiently stirred until the sauce was creamy and smooth.

EVERY kitchen knows better than me. All six groups dumped the cheese into the béchamel while it was still on the burner. All six groups had gritty, mealy cheese sauce.

"This recipe sucks!"

Teenagers suck!

::end of vent::

My mac and cheese recipe is basically Velveta and clean out the cheese drawer. Add some milk. Bake until a crust forms.

My mother used to beat an egg into the milk so it formed a custard.

No one makes me feel this way. Romance doesn't come easily to non-romantic people.

I’m not romantic. And my husband is even less. So yeah, I guess we’re a good match.

Before we got married he said, “Never expect anything and you’ll never be disappointed.” Yeah that sounds harsh but I totally got it and understood. I’m very pragmatic I suppose.

was done brewing today by 2.....then the owner said oh we have a meeting are you coming out......wtf.....I got there at 630 figured I would be done early....I said 2 things at meeting....it was about a yeast I got excited about......I took the package home and I plan to make some starter tonight and ferment it to build it up!!! And make it gluten free!!!

So I won Valentine’s Day and still lost. Mrs Pere put little effort into it and then managed to schedule a nail appointment and delay dinner by more than an hour.

I stand by my earlier statement.

The room that I have been working on is coming along. Maybe tomorrow it will be virtually finished. It's hard to believe one room could take so many hours. My son in law is coming over tomorrow to help with the flooring.

On the down side, our wifi router part of our modem has quit. Let me say the 2.4 wifi part. The 5G is still on. Very strange. The problem is half the devices in the house can't use the 5G and need the 2.4. I spent near $200 bucks on what I thought was a good Netgear cable modem and it's made it about 100 days. This too will be resolved, but still it's frustrating.

So this afternoon I texted Nanilei.
I want to get our bed, the fridge, and our nightstands done, then go to Canoe Hut and have a drink.
That turned into four drinx each.
Live music YES!
Motivation for tomorrow is likeky flagging.
I will let you know!

I have been scarce becuase Surprise! We have to move!
The owner of our house's overseas deployment ended.
We found a place yesterday, and are moving in tomorrow!
Yikes!
Eight years moving in like four days!
Needless to say we have been busy.
We just sort of decided to jump on an opportunity, but now maybe regretting it. A bit.
But we just want out of our situation.
I had visions of it coming down to the wire and not being able to find a place.

Moving is a major pain as is. Having to cram it in a few days really blows. Poho mojo on settling into the new place.

was done brewing today by 2.....then the owner said oh we have a meeting are you coming out......wtf.....I got there at 630 figured I would be done early....I said 2 things at meeting....it was about a yeast I got excited about......I took the package home and I plan to make some starter tonight and ferment it to build it up!!! And make it gluten free!!!

In the not too distant future I expect to see your face on a gluten-free beer at my local grocery. Have fun, Ken!

Last edited:
I had a bad experience at one of my new jobs. I didn’t quit on the spot, but I should have. I stayed and finished my shift. I couldn’t convince myself to finish out the week, so I invoked my rights under the at-will state status. I’m glad I did. Every time I think about the situation, I feel sick. Processing those feelings as they come, as opposed to stuffing them down as I would have done in the past. So personal progress and growth achieved. |Sarcasm| Yay, me! |Sarcasm|

Last edited:
Top Bottom