::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

My dad was a veteran of WWII but wouldn't accept recognition for it. He was stateside throughout the war (entered in '44 and by the time his training in naval aviation was complete the war was winding down and he wasn't sent to the Pacific). It's not that he didn't appreciate his time in the Navy, but he felt he hadn't sacrificed like others who saw action did and he was able to go to college and medical school on the GI Bill, so he felt like he'd been fully paid for his service. Besides, in his mind if you were military age during WWII enlisting was just something you did because it was the right thing to do, so he didn't feel like he deserved special recognition for it. Several of his colleagues of the same age really had the same attitudes. I think that's part of what made them the Greatest Generation.

My dad went straight into WW2 after high school. He ended up in the Army Air Corps loading B-25's, first Africa, then Sicily, Italy, then they got on boats and thought they were heading home, but arrived in India to help the Chinese against the Japanese invasion. His group, "The Earthquakers" were the most traveled group in the entire war. He never talked about it much, but did occasionally break down at the dinner table when a related subject came up. Years later it occurred to me that he probably had help with the planes that made it back sometimes carrying dead crew members.

My dad enlisted for WWII, he lied about his age, I think he was only 17 he said.
The Army apparently knew he was underage, and did not deploy him, he remained stateside.
He did go to Korea though.

My dad enlisted for WWII, he lied about his age, I think he was only 17 he said.
The Army apparently knew he was underage, and did not deploy him, he remained stateside.
He did go to Korea though.

My grandpa was in the army during WWI, but like my dad he also never went overseas. The day before his unit shipped out he became ill with the Spanish flu and missed his boat. Then he developed some kind of ear problem that required surgery and by the time he recovered from that the war was over.

My dad was a veteran of WWII but wouldn't accept recognition for it. He was stateside throughout the war (entered in '44 and by the time his training in naval aviation was complete the war was winding down and he wasn't sent to the Pacific). It's not that he didn't appreciate his time in the Navy, but he felt he hadn't sacrificed like others who saw action did and he was able to go to college and medical school on the GI Bill, so he felt like he'd been fully paid for his service. Besides, in his mind if you were military age during WWII enlisting was just something you did because it was the right thing to do, so he didn't feel like he deserved special recognition for it. Several of his colleagues of the same age really had the same attitudes. I think that's part of what made them the Greatest Generation.

Humility is a lost art.

My brother joined the Navy in 1958, did a couple of cruises as a sonarman. Then spent 4 years in the reserves. I guess his commitment was up before Viet Nam really heated up for the Navy. Since I was 14 years younger and worshipped my big brother I've been a Navy partisan ever since.

My brother joined the Navy in 1958, did a couple of cruises as a sonarman. Then spent 4 years in the reserves. I guess his commitment was up before Viet Nam really heated up for the Navy. Since I was 14 years younger and worshipped my big brother I've been a Navy partisan ever since.

No one else in my generation served. My 2 male cousins, both hyper-reactionary "patriots" never stood to. I just got lucky with the lottery while going about my education.

James' team played the other team in our organization yesterday for "consolation." They won easily because the two best players on the other team were injured and didn't play.

Missed a triple double by two assists.

12 points
10 rebounds
8 assists

My dad exactly. He was a Merchant Marine during WWII and worked Merchant ships all over the world (they supplied the military ships with supplies) but we never knew him to ever call himself a veteran. Even at events where they would ask vets to stand to be honored, he wouldn’t stand. When he was 70 the fed government finally recognized the Merchant Marines as official Veterans. I got all the paperwork together so he could apply for benefits but he refused. He said, “I’m fine, that’s for the guys that really were soldiers.”

Catalina Island was training ground for the military during WWII. Dad trained there. Last time I was there I was so happy to see the Merchant Marines flag flying next to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, and Coast Guard flags at the memorial there.

I was at a Veterans' Day parade about 10 years ago. We had visited the Coast Guard cutter with which I shared a last name. I had bought on of their crew hats and wore it to the parade. One of the officials of the parade shot me a salute on the sidelines. I was very uncomfortable to have been mistaken to have given service. The discomfort lasted for days. I even tried to sort it out with some of the vets in the congregation.

I've received appropriate recognition for things I've done. I've no wish to masquerade as someone who I am not.

It’s okay Padre. You did nothing wrong.

Since my son joined I look at camo clothing differently. I don’t mean hunting print, but military camo. I don’t buy it or wear it. It just doesn’t seem right.

Their uniform is almost sacred to them. He’s not allowed to wear it unless on duty. They are told to not wear them on planes or on leave. They don’t want them to be a target.

I felt a tremendous weight off my shoulders when we said good bye to our old church...and then a tremendous sadness. Good on you for resigning in person - that's class.

This Soo. I’m so sorry what’s supposed to be a safe place has become a place you feel uncomfortable. Hugs to you.

My dad exactly. He was a Merchant Marine during WWII and worked Merchant ships all over the world (they supplied the military ships with supplies) but we never knew him to ever call himself a veteran. Even at events where they would ask vets to stand to be honored, he wouldn’t stand. When he was 70 the fed government finally recognized the Merchant Marines as official Veterans. I got all the paperwork together so he could apply for benefits but he refused. He said, “I’m fine, that’s for the guys that really were soldiers.”

Catalina Island was training ground for the military during WWII. Dad trained there. Last time I was there I was so happy to see the Merchant Marines flag flying next to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, and Coast Guard flags at the memorial there.

Yep, Dad refused to apply for any veteran's benefits besides the GI Bill when he was in school. I once said something about taking flags to the cemetery for my dad and grandpa - my mom said she didn't think they would want that recognition.

Yep, Dad refused to apply for any veteran's benefits besides the GI Bill when he was in school. I once said something about taking flags to the cemetery for my dad and grandpa - my mom said she didn't think they would want that recognition.

That generation was full of very hard working humble men who taught men like you and my husband about the responsibility of supporting a family. What great examples we had.

That generation was full of very hard working humble men who taught men like you and my husband about the responsibility of supporting a family. What great examples we had.

One of the biggest differences I noticed in Dad's generation of physicians - when I was working the cash register in the hospital cafeteria the physicians of Dad's generation would come over and visit with me and chat like equals. His baby boomer colleagues didn't have time for that.

One of the biggest differences I noticed in Dad's generation of physicians - when I was working the cash register in the hospital cafeteria the physicians of Dad's generation would come over and visit with me and chat like equals. His baby boomer colleagues didn't have time for that.

Humble beginnings maybe?

...most of them knew how humbling things could be.

A lot of enlisted personnel and officers understand that. When I was born my dad was a career Navy line officer. At that time officer's pay for his grade was so low they would have qualified for Johnson's poverty program if they had been allowed to apply. My Coast Guard friends share similar stories. It was an act of service.

Top Bottom