Page 1562 of 1602 FirstFirst ... 5621062146215121552156015611562156315641572 ... LastLast
Results 15,611 to 15,620 of 16019

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    Good Lord. I had no idea I had a marathon career. Someone must be driving ahead of me with a pie or something.
    A Hob Nob peanut butter pie.

I’m not too far behind you.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    Poor James had a meltdown yesterday.

He was super stressed about a math placement practice test because he could only complete a small portion of the worksheet. When I talked to him I think he misunderstood the teacher. He kept saying "she said she's going to grade this!" and I told them that grading it, is different from entering it into the grade book. It's a practice placement test, you're not supposed to be able to do the whole thing. Granted, he is at grade level for math (weak by Asian standard ) but as an education I'd prefer that he be well, rounded and happy than a 4.0 kid with only academics for a life.

I want him to go to college of course, but I have no problem with the JC route. I feel he'd be much more prepared getting an AA first anyhow. What he would miss is that "college experience"

What I do have a problem with is that he puts a higher value on socializing rather than paying attention in his classes. He's figuring it out but a bit too slow for me. He's a bit too caught up in being popular and he's only in the 6th grade.

with all your connections it shouldn't be a problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Peanut Butter Pie from the Hob Nob in Nashville, Indiana
    Key Lime Pie
    Pecan Pie
    Chocolate Silk Pie
    Lemon Meringue Pie

Have you ever tried their pepper steak soup?

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by spots View Post
    This whole college scandal thing is messed up. We have real corruption going on with our politicians and heads of federal agencies, and people are more upset and concerned about rich people abusing the college system.

Private colleges have been messing with admissions for generations and it was never a national scandal.

Focus on, and get upset about, the real issues.
    Student debt is a real issue for a lot of people, this is like salt in the wound.

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Have you ever tried their pepper steak soup?
    I will this June

with all your connections it shouldn't be a problem.
    Heh heh heh heh heh!

No jury duty tomorrow. I'll see what happens next time.
    Uke Players Do It With Four Strings.
    YouTube | Facebook
    ...I think life should be a musical... Tammy
    1:25367

Student debt is a real issue for a lot of people, this is like salt in the wound.
    Yes student debt is an issue. But in decades past lots of very successful people got their undergraduate degrees at state schools, and small colleges, because that is what they could afford. They studied hard, got good grades, and excelled in their fields.

These days there seems to be a mentality that the ONLY school you should consider is an Ivy League, or similar elite school. That these schools are the only way you are going to get a job, and that anything else will cripple you for life.

It's been shown time and again that high school students who attend top high schools (magnet schools, etc.) face stiffer competition for both admissions and funding when applying to elite schools than if they applied to many of the other very good schools in our country. There is nothing to make them standout because everyone else has done the exact same thing, and are applying to the same schools.

One of the top technology magnet high schools in the country regularly holds assemblies for parents and students that are Juniors and Seniors to try and get the point across to them that they have a much better shot at college acceptance and full scholarships if they would simply look at other schools.

good morning hos
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

Quote Originally Posted by spots View Post
    Yes student debt is an issue. But in decades past lots of very successful people got their undergraduate degrees at state schools, and small colleges, because that is what they could afford. They studied hard, got good grades, and excelled in their fields.

These days there seems to be a mentality that the ONLY school you should consider is an Ivy League, or similar elite school. That these schools are the only way you are going to get a job, and that anything else will cripple you for life.

It's been shown time and again that high school students who attend top high schools (magnet schools, etc.) face stiffer competition for both admissions and funding when applying to elite schools than if they applied to many of the other very good schools in our country. There is nothing to make them standout because everyone else has done the exact same thing, and are applying to the same schools.

One of the top technology magnet high schools in the country regularly holds assemblies for parents and students that are Juniors and Seniors to try and get the point across to them that they have a much better shot at college acceptance and full scholarships if they would simply look at other schools.
    There are two reasons why elite schools matter - neither of which revolves around the actual education. First, the students at these schools enter into a world of networking that will provide them access to powerful people. Secondly, elite schools have renown that can't be touched when they appear on a resume. The most brilliant mind that ever attained a degree from Suburban Community College will not have the leg up on a student that scraped by academically at Harvard. Why? Because the HR department sees Harvard. And, the prestige of Harvard is the asset that was paid for.
    My Ukuleles: A Hawaiian, an Oregonian, and a Kiwi.

Thread Information