::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

On visiting grave sites, at least for me, it doesn't happen very often.

Me, too. I visit my parent's grave site once each year, but out of obligation, rather than a desire to do so. I promised my mother I would continue her long-standing practice of placing an American flag by my father's headstone every Memorial Day. I've been doing that for over twenty years, now.

Were it not for that promise, I would probably never go back....

The migration of the ducks and geese is in full swing. At times we'll see well over a hundred geese on our little pond, all at once.

Then, in just a minute's time, they can all be gone. We absolutely love watching them....

Me, too. I visit my parent's grave site once each year, but out of obligation, rather than a desire to do so. I promised my mother I would continue her long-standing practice of placing an American flag by my father's headstone every Memorial Day. I've been doing that for over twenty years, now.

Were it not for that promise, I would probably never go back....
We go and plant the urn every Memorial Day weekend. I think Paul and I are the last family members who will be doing it. Nobody else cares.

Thank you justice Kavanaugh.

RL Kid wants to be married to his presumptive wife, with bagpipes, his brother, and "William & Catherine, Harry & Megan". Maybe you could be part of that trip.

I'll keep an eye out for the invite.

My sister travels several hours to visit the cemetery where her late husband is interred, and does so several times each year. His is not a grave, really, but a niche in a wall housing cremation remains. Each niche is covered by a marble plate which serves as a headstone.

It is a designated national military cemetery, and the closest one available to her home. The visits bring her comfort, somehow, so I'm glad she gets to go. Some people seem to need that, and some, not so much....

I never realized people were so casual with cremated remains.

When I was a little kid my great-grandparents on all sides had little Buddhist altars in their homes and would offer food and pray for their loved ones daily. I don't think that anyone in my family was cremated when I was little but seeing my great-grandparents treat that altar with such reverence instilled in me that the remains of someone were to be highly respected. Granted, I made those assumptions on my own and that's why I thought it so weird that a couple would bring someone's remains to a restaurant and just plop them on the counter while they ate.

Here's an empty altar. Usually they contain a little bell for chanting, a little urn for incense and various special bowls for food offering and pictures. My family always had lots of pictures.

buddhist-altar-cabinet-vintage-altar-shrine-6-buddhist-home-altar-cabinet.jpg

I was raised by two incredibly practical heathens. Both were cremated and sent to sea. I’ve always told my kids to do the same with me but I want a bit of me sprinkled on that magical field in Indiana too.

I walk over to the beach when I miss mom and dad.That being said I’ve always been a bit envious of those of you that get to visit loved ones graves.

I've been to my father's once in 50+ years and not yet been to my mother's.

I never realized people were so casual with cremated remains.

When I was a little kid my great-grandparents on all sides had little Buddhist altars in their homes and would offer food and pray for their loved ones daily. I don't think that anyone in my family was cremated when I was little but seeing my great-grandparents treat that altar with such reverence instilled in me that the remains of someone were to be highly respected. Granted, I made those assumptions on my own and that's why I thought it so weird that a couple would bring someone's remains to a restaurant and just plop them on the counter while they ate.

Here's an empty altar. Usually they contain a little bell for chanting, a little urn for incense and various special bowls for food offering and pictures. My family always had lots of pictures.

View attachment 112787

Do you know if the ashes themselves were honored or were the loved ones honored using the ashes for memory's sake?

Went to an Arizona Fall League baseball game yesterday. What a great experience. This was at the Dodgers (boo!) spring training stadium. Maybe 300 people in a place with seats for 10,000. Players from the farm systems of all the major league teams. You could wander the stadium and sit wherever you wanted. Lots of scouts there with radar guns. Everything that happened on the field was clear to hear. All of us old guys in the stands cracking wise.

Last edited:
The migration of the ducks and geese is in full swing. At times we'll see well over a hundred geese on our little pond, all at once.

Then, in just a minute's time, they can all be gone. We absolutely love watching them....

I started feeding the birds again this week. It's enjoyable. Yesterday I was standing next to the feeder and a downy woodpecker lands on it about 2 feet away from me. He was so focused on sunflower seeds he didn't notice me at first.

On visiting grave sites, at least for me, it doesn't happen very often.

I've been to my dad's/grandparents'/sister-in-law's (they're all in the same place) twice since they were all moved there. Once was a deliberate trip just to see the site, the other was because I was at a funeral up there and Sheryl wanted to see where they all were.

The people I knew and loved aren't there...just some stone markers.

Thank you justice Kavanaugh.

RL Kid wants to be married to his presumptive wife, with bagpipes, his brother, and "William & Catherine, Harry & Megan". Maybe you could be part of that trip.

Does RLK have a candidate for wife presumptive, or is this future plans? Please do be sure to share pictures when it happens.

Do you know if the ashes themselves were honored or were the loved ones honored using the ashes for memory's sake?

I'm thinking it's the memory because until the last few years, no one in my family had been cremated. There were no ashes on those alters. Just pics of those who had passed.

I've been to my dad's/grandparents'/sister-in-law's (they're all in the same place) twice since they were all moved there. Once was a deliberate trip just to see the site, the other was because I was at a funeral up there and Sheryl wanted to see where they all were.

The people I knew and loved aren't there...just some stone markers.

I drop by my buddies tombstone every once in a while. He passed away when we were 35. I bring him pics of James, an occasional beer, a golf ball, sushi etc. A lot of mementos of life stuff we shared.

He would have spoiled the crap out of James. They have similar personalities.

I drop by my buddies tombstone every once in a while. He passed away when we were 35. I bring him pics of James, an occasional beer, a golf ball, sushi etc. A lot of mementos of life stuff we shared.

He would have spoiled the crap out of James. They have similar personalities.

HE would have spoiled the rap out of James??!! :confused:

HE would have spoiled the rap out of James??!! :confused:

I spoil James with attention and doing things for him mostly and he probably has more stuff than kids his age but my buddy would have bought him everything he doesn't have.

He owned a sushi bar/Japanese restaurant and pretty much worked himself to death.

I would go in after teaching and kick him out of his own restaurant a couple days a week so he would take time off. I was the only one he trusted to treat his customers like he would. I wouldn't take any money so he would give me things every once in a while. Like a really, nice putter for golf that I would never spend that kind of money on. A sushi knife that cost like $3000.00 twenty years ago (it's still in it's box; never used). My favorite sushi knife that also never sees any use is the one he used at the restaurant. His parents gave it to me when he passed away. I had it mounted and framed with a pic of him using it.

It really sucks that he passed away so young.

I spoil James with attention and doing things for him mostly and he probably has more stuff than kids his age but my buddy would have bought him everything he doesn't have.

He owned a sushi bar/Japanese restaurant and pretty much worked himself to death.

I would go in after teaching and kick him out of his own restaurant a couple days a week so he would take time off. I was the only one he trusted to treat his customers like he would. I wouldn't take any money so he would give me things every once in a while. Like a really, nice putter for golf that I would never spend that kind of money on. A sushi knife that cost like $3000.00 twenty years ago (it's still in it's box; never used). My favorite sushi knife that also never sees any use is the one he used at the restaurant. His parents gave it to me when he passed away. I had it mounted and framed with a pic of him using it.

It really sucks that he passed away so young.

Gary, it certainly sounds like he was a very special friend. It sucks to have to lose someone special, especially at such a young age. Cherish your memories of him, and he'll be alive as long as you are.

I was just kidding about you spoiling James. Yes, you spoil him in some ways, but you do all of the important stuff, too. And, after all, your vindication is in the young man you are raising. He sounds like a great kid, and much of that is to his parents' credit....

Top Bottom