::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I pick up Michael at the airport tomorrow for a 10 day visit. He’s home from Korea!

Summer wants to do band this year because her friend is. So we have the violin on hold for a year because Isla really wants to do that.

Emma is in band. She did sax her first year in elementary school band then switched to flute last year. Now that she's in middle school she decided to stick with flute - she really enjoys it and it's a LOT easier to carry to and from school every day.

What a crappy screenshot

My beer machine allows you to create your own recipes - after I brew the next two I have on hand I'm going to try my own recipe - going the opposite way you're doing it, of course, with a bready, English-style bitter but using NW hops instead of English hops.

It's 30 yrs old so the pads might need replacing.....the shop I went to doesn't do it but he referred me to someone who does. So I will give him a call and set something up.

I bought Emma's flute second-hand off ebay. It turned out to be a great deal - price was really good, pads were in good shape, ready to play on arrival. The case had the previous owner's name on it - Dino - so we've given that name to the flute.

The photo shoot was in downtown Hillsboro on the courthouse grounds. The farmers’ market was right next to us, so I wondered around and got some produce and nuts. Pulled chestnuts out of the oven 10 minutes ago and they should be ready to enjoy now.

I've never tried a chestnut.

Camp 18 is a great place for photos - I would never have guessed, but when we had family photos done 2 weeks ago the photographer said to meet her at Camp 18. The grounds behind the restaurant are gorgeous and the lighting is terrific!

You can buy a crappy one for $100. The Chinese have been producing crappy s** for years. It’s much better to find a name brand old school flute and have it repadded.

Artley, Gemeinhardt, and Yamaha are all decent old school brands. As a student you don’t want an open hole style and a Bb key is not necessary.

Emma's is a Yamaha.

Jon and Soo, if you happen to come upon an abundance of matsutaki mushrooms I'd be glad to take them off your hands :)

Gosh, Gary - I was at a men's retreat on Saturday and went for a walk in a total matsutake area - saw a bunch of them. Or amanita, which of course is lethal. I didn't look closely because I wasn't foraging, but the area was perfect for matsutake, so I bet that's what I was seeing.

I've been operating computers since about 1980. This week I had my first computer die on me. Sure it was seven years old and needed to be replaced, but it actually died on me during the day. Went to a different part of the bunker to run some errands, came back, and nothing. The nerve.

I've managed to cobble together some tin cans and a whole mess of string, and that seems to be working.

hqdefault.jpg

Way to go, Professor!

Shes speaks French she likes Aston Martin cars, and she draws portraits and she's working on her portrait business getting it up and going locally and getting her website up and going. She likes classic rock to Indy type of music pretty much all types of music.

Ask her to do your portrait but delete the sideburns.

My #25 WSU Cougars bear #12 Oregon. It’s a good day.

I'm happy with that. No idea how my Oregon State is doing, but I never expect anything...I went there during their blackest hours. We learned to chant, if the Beavers scored first, "If the game was over now, we'd win!"

Chinese, yum! I miss the Chinese food in Hawaii. I haven’t found that level of Chinese food in Oregon. We had a Chinese restaurant near us that was good. They closed almost a year ago. I haven’t found another one on this side of the river I like very much. Bry and I go to Panda Express for our Chinese food fix now. I did go out to one earlier this month that was really good. Their rice sucked. It didn’t even come with the entrees. How can a Chinese restaurant have sucky rice?!

Which one? We were HUGE fans of Golden Crown over on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway. Total Americanized Chinese food, but delicious. They closed when the property owner sold to Chick-fil-A. The restaurant sat empty for over a year - it has finally been leveled in the last couple weeks. I am sad every time I drive by. Family owned, family run restaurant. We miss it - and haven't found anything else we like.

I completely agree with you.

One time in Indiana my sis ate at a Mexican restaurant, I wasn’t with her. When she told me I asked her, “what were you thinking?” She replied, “obviously I wasn’t.”

I think Sukie, Nick, and I ate ate at a Mexican restaurant in Indiana - I think it was Mexican. To be honest, I don't remember the food, but the company was excellent.

And I’m sure there are decent places owned and operated by people who know what they are doing.

But there’s a reason Taco Bell was voted the number 1 Mexican food restaurant in the nation. Ish.

I was thinking about Golden Crown the other day - I realized that "authentic" ethnic food means something to people for whom that food holds cultural significance - it's a part of their past from the country from which they emigrated or it's the food their immigrant parents/grandparents made at home. But for a privileged white guy like me who has no ethnic cultural food heritage, I enjoy what I enjoy; I can't honestly say if the "authentic" food is better than the Americanized stuff because I have no basis in the ethnic to which I can compare stuff. It's also totally possible I would find the genuine stuff to be revolting because my taste buds can't accommodate to it...

...random musings.

Top Bottom