::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Our room has a Keurig so I've been drinking coffee every day. Last night I stopped in a coffee shop and found a small package of pods (12) that were 100% Kona beans. What a difference!

Made my morning cup on the lanai (balcony really) much better.
So envious!

Today was a day of gluttony.

Last year we went out to La Hiki for brunch at the Four Seasons in Ko'olina. The company was GREAT, but it was before all my heart procedures, I still had the defibrilator and overall I was feeling really lousy. I didn't really enjoy the meal part.

Today, Mika took me back there and I made a pig of myself. I have never eaten so much ahi, hamachi, shrimp and lobster tail in my life. We left there at 1:00pm and I was still kinda full at 6:45 when we had dinner at Roy's in Hawaii Kai (the original restaurant). I felt kind of lame ordering the appetizer portion of misoyaki butterfish but like I said, I was still full.

I also learned that even if you don't have any carbs but have a crapton of food and overeat, your blood sugar still goes up. Way up. Gluttony on today's scale is no longer in my future.

Tomorrow we need to hit a laundry mat and wash some clothes. Since I've been waking up at 3:30 and then going back to sleep I think I'll just get up at 5:30 and go do it while Mika and James sleep.

I think the plan is to hit North Shore again tomorrow.

One of the kids we play rec ball and club ball against (He's from San Francisco) saw James' Instagram posts and messaged him that he's here too staying with his grandparents. We're going to pick him up and take him to North Shore with us.

James is a little hesitant because we really only know the kid from basketball but having a kid the same age is got to better than hanging with your parents the whole time. We've been playing against him for five years a few times a year so they're already friendly. I emailed the mom earlier and she's excited they get to hang out.

A very happy and healthy new day to all!

It's good to hear that you are having a great time Gary & company!

I need to get moving. I am taking my daughter to her work, the main building, to get together with others and they are traveling to Daytona Beach, FL for work.
My grand daughter just got back from the Carolinas. This week it's across the lake to Grand Rapids, MI. Later I am told it will be to Monterey CA.
My kin are frequent flyers. At least the females anyhow.

Akorn kamado report:
Grilled corn. 20-25 minutes, turning every 5, heavenly! Caramelized and sweet, my new favorite way to have corn.
Chicken thighs. Done my usual-ish way. Couldn't put in the indirect heat stone so I set the vents to keep about 400°. Each time I opened the grill my glasses steamed up. That doesn't happen with the Weber. The chicken was noticeably more moist. Delicious.

I'm digging this Akorn.

I’m an extrovert and I never want to go out.

For some reason that makes me feel a little better.

I did end up going. I’ve been curious about what the women’s fire group is all about. It’s was basically an informal spiritual group to share deeply. The host was someone who I had met a handful of times, but didn’t really know. Only one other person showed up, who I didn’t know, but it turns out we have a mutual acquaintance. We had a nice intimate conversation. I’m glad I went.

Did you see the food trucks in Kapaa? There's a truck in there that has natural syrups and they use hand crank shave-ice machines. I'd put them up there with Shimazu in Honolulu.

We saw the food trucks - I was tempted to stop, but just not enough time! Ben is working at a food truck now (St. Johns Wings!), so I'm trying to learn more about the extensive Portland food truck culture.

A very happy and healthy new day to all!

It's good to hear that you are having a great time Gary & company!

Thanks Rob.

The only reason I came last year was because I thought it might be my last trip. Same with UWC. The way I felt I didn't think I'd be around much longer.

Having a lot of fun this year although I wish I could catch a bit more music. Last night we went to the Kahala Mall because James' phone screen had a recall. There was a performer there playing guitar so I watched/listened to his whole set. So many talented people on the islands. They need a central site where they can post where they are playing.

I remember doing that with you. It was like being with a VIP.

It really does feel like that. I would never qualify as an individual (I think...I don't really know what it takes to be a member!), but since it's available through work I definitely take advantage of it.

Actually, when I was in Denver for school for winter term all they had on the Emerald Aisle were minivans - and minivans without Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. I complained. The aisle is supposed to be about selection, and it was the first time the phone interconnect wasn't available in any of the cars. I use it all the time to find my way around Denver.

I complained. I ended up in a fancy Infiniti (still no CarPlay, but at least it had navigation to get me around the city). I felt so entitled.

Really slow start at the new job, but I’m not sad. I’ve needed a break for a long time. It was hard getting one at my other job. It was a good experience in a lot of ways, but draining too.

I need to get moving. I am taking my daughter to her work, the main building, to get together with others and they are traveling to Daytona Beach, FL for work.
My grand daughter just got back from the Carolinas. This week it's across the lake to Grand Rapids, MI. Later I am told it will be to Monterey CA.
My kin are frequent flyers. At least the females anyhow.

Monterey is beautiful. If she likes seafood and pasta have her try out my cousin's restaurant. Monterey Fish House. It's really good and is a spot the locals don't talk about because there would be too many tourists :).

It's where I answered the phone to take a reservation and I thought it was a guy doing a Clint Eastwood imitation. Nope. He's a regular.

I'm back at work today.

Vacation is supposed to be refreshing and reinvigorating.

So why do I feel so morose today?

Oh, yeah - because I loathe my job and vacation just highlights that.

Akorn kamado report:
Grilled corn. 20-25 minutes, turning every 5, heavenly! Caramelized and sweet, my new favorite way to have corn.
Chicken thighs. Done my usual-ish way. Couldn't put in the indirect heat stone so I set the vents to keep about 400°. Each time I opened the grill my glasses steamed up. That doesn't happen with the Weber. The chicken was noticeably more moist. Delicious.

I'm digging this Akorn.

Yay!

I cook corn with the husk on now. When it's ready I cut off about 1/2" from the stem end and then squeeze the cob out from the other side. No "hairs'. I saw them do that at a farmer's market that sells roasted corn and I've been doing it ever since. No fuss.

To go to a social event or not this evening? I kind of do and I kind of don’t want to go. Introvert Problems.

I had that problem Saturday morning. My phone reminded me that I had a lunch with former coworkers but I wasn't feeling social AT ALL. Sheryl convinced me to go. It was a nice time with good friends.

When Emma was little Sheryl would bake cookies for the current holiday and bring them to work and Emma would pass them out. One of my coworkers came to the lunch with all his empty cookie bags (can't believe he SAVED them!) and asked me to take them back to Emma for refills. She baked cookies yesterday and will be refilling the bags to deliver to Brent...

Top Bottom