::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Caught up. About to leave for NJ. Out of phone data, so I'll see you on the other side. Happy "they didn't let us starve, and boy do they regret it now" day!

Or as one of my students put it. We hired the guys with guns to wipe out our rival tribe and then had a feast to celebrate the complete genocide of our adversary day.

So not the lesson I learned as a little kid. That's why we watched Charlie Brown: The Mayflower yesterday. We had a good discussion after watching.

I have mixed feelings about this. Both still require that you elevate to the top to make a really good living but I feel like a diploma gives you a better start.

I have a friend that balances drive shafts for cars. He's one of only a few that do this and he makes boatloads of money. But to me, those types of jobs are like winning the lottery Nobody ever got rich from laying carpet. My dad did well as a machinist, but he was at the top in this area. If you talk to any old-time machinists, they know my dad's name and respect his work. The days of being comfortable working in a grocery store are gone.

I see kids every day thinking they're going to learn to cook and make millions and be famous. The reality is that they'll probably make $40K a year in an area you need to make 4X that to afford a mortgage. It's like Pretty Woman. They believe the millionaire will marry the hooker.

Trades are gaining value again though. We've pushed education so hard for so long that the trades are suffering. Plus they're changing. You have to train for a job that isn't invented yet.

I pushed for B V-B to get a craft/trade education and certification. Shorter term, certified skill at the end, and the flexibility to be useful wherever he might choose to travel. That window has probably closed.

I pushed for B V-B to get a craft/trade education and certification. Shorter term, certified skill at the end, and the flexibility to be useful wherever he might choose to travel. That window has probably closed.

My students always comment that we're going to be replaced by machines. ATM's, Grocery check out, etc. My answer is always the same. Somebody needs to know how to fix those machines when they break. There are new careers and opportunities everywhere. You just have to find a skill that will be needed and perfect that skill.

Today I'm going to go through the stuff my great uncle left me. I think he kept a journal of his time is Saipan and Burma.

So much stuff that generation wouldn't talk about. I think I've learned more about my family through documentaries and research than I did by them telling me.

They spared us what they went through, but they also left a void in their legacy.

I wish I knew more about my dad's time during WW2, I learned a couple of years ago that he had a pet monkey while stationed in India, would never have guessed that in a million years.

I find the Brexit thing interesting, but feel like I don't know what is best. I think I would be pissed that such a big decision was decided by such a narrow margin of votes, but then again, that's the story every presidential election in this country.

And in the movies they say voldemorT but it's actually supposed to be said like "voldemore". Like a French T, I guess.

I read it without the T. I have taught my kids properly. (JK Rowling herself said it's supposed to be pronounced without the T.)

We have pasties in Michigan. Typically closer to the U.P.

Unless they're different than the ones you're talking about? They're basically like meat stew in a pastry pocket. No silverware required. The original Hot Pocket.

Yeah, I know. We were talking about Cornish game hens. In the UK they sell Cornish pasties. Pretty much the same thing as Michigan.

My students always comment that we're going to be replaced by machines. ATM's, Grocery check out, etc. My answer is always the same. Somebody needs to know how to fix those machines when they break. There are new careers and opportunities everywhere. You just have to find a skill that will be needed and perfect that skill.

When I worked in the field doing computer repairs in our clinics on this side of town I used to always say, "As long as there are computers there will be computers breaking and people like me will have a job."

Sheryl showed me an article the other day saying that field technicians are becoming redundant. More and more computer hardware is solid state - no moving parts. If it breaks, it gets returned for replacement rather than repaired in the field. Software work is largely done remotely these days (I sit with a bunch of people who do this). My old friends in the field stay very busy, but they're not doing the same sort of break/fix they used to. More install and refresh. And their department is half the size it was when I was in it.

Procrastinating is something I'm very skilled at.

Too bad it doesn't pay.

I have a paper due today at midnight. I've sort of started it. Even when I make a real effort to start and finish papers early I find that I do my best work under the pressure of the looming deadline.

Top Bottom