::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Speaking of whole foods, it astounds me how disconnected we have become from our food. I met a guy who grows his own chickens for eggs and meat. Not unusual to meet people in Portland who keep backyard chickens for eggs here. Most are treated as pets and they get to live out their lives after they stop producing. A lot of people would not dream of eating their backyard chickens. Anyhow I saw the guy get attacked for growing his chickens for meat. This woman was asking questions about the chickens and when she found they go in the pot from time to time, she was appalled. She said it was barbaric to slaughter those poor chickens. I thought she must be vegetarian until she told him he should buy his meat from the supermarket like any other civilized human being does. I wonder where she thinks the chicken from the grocery store comes from and how it was processed to get it into those packages?

We have friends who hunt for meat, have backyard chickens that end up in the pot when they stop laying, have raised rabbits for meat, etc. Their kids are remarkably connected and understanding of the whole circle of life thing.

I can clean and fillet fish no prob. Anything else I'm afraid I'd become a vegetarian.

But I guess if I had to I would. I guess it depends on how hungry you got?

I remember my friends being in a real financial bind for a while - they went hunting and got a large elk; that elk really helped save their budget over a long, hard winter (they were in construction, so things slacked off during the winter, and during the recession when it was really hard anyway they were in pretty dire straits. They were very thankful for that elk).

Yeah, I remember as a kid plucking feathers with Mrs Wolbert after watching her ring their necks. She was our neighbor and my other mother growing up. The sweetest most gentile woman you’ve ever met. She helped me sew all my prom dresses. I also remember her picking the potato bugs off the garden plants. She’d pop their heads off with her thumb. She was a tough old farm lady under that sweet exterior.

One of my greatest regrets in life is not asking my parents to send me to my great uncle's farm in Missouri during the summers. Glenn and Thelma were childless but adored kids and we really hit it off when we visited them a couple of times. I would have loved it, I think they would have loved having the help, but I just somehow didn't think my parents would say yes so I didn't ask. I mentioned it to my mom years later and she said, "YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED! Glenn and Thelma would have loved that, and of course we would have sent you!"

Aiden is just barely 4.

He has no bedtime and is usually up until 9:45 or so. He gets up about 6:45. He doesn’t take naps. He is always tired. And a tired Aiden is a cranky Aiden. And bedtime is filled with yelling and tears. It is unnecessary.

He eats garbage. Not garbage garbage, but junk food. Full of chemicals. And it makes me sad.

They all come home and sit and do electronics. I have yet to see them play with him.

He isn’t brushing his teeth.

I hate to snitch on them here because you will think unkind thoughts about them. And they are nice people. But Gsus...

“That grandma” would bitch at them. But I know that how they raise Aiden is not my business. But he so badly wants their attention. And I am sure that the moving disruption is hard on him. So I say nothing.

There. Now you know.

Say something...even if it's just a gentle comment or two. This is how my nephew and niece were raised, and they are lost kids. Kids that age need boundaries to feel safe and secure.

Exactly. How hard is it to go to UPS store and buy a box? I did it a couple weeks ago.

I took it to the UPS store. They didn't have a box that would fit. They went ahead and quoted me the price to ship to you. $96. I said crap no - just sell me a box I can cut down. $10. For a cardboard box. Crap. I went to Office Depot and got two boxes (for yours and for the mainland I sold) - yours wouldn't fit. It's a ukulele, dammit - how difficult can it be to find a box that will fit without getting me slapped hard with oversize charges!

We are getting water, like county water. We have relied on our well until now which can run dry. It's been an ordeal, but by the end of the weekend, I think we will have access to unlimited water.

That is exciting! My sister-in-law's parents were on well water all their lives. One Christmas Eve we had a storm and their electricity went out - which means their pump did too. They had plenty of water for just them, but they ended up sending the family away to in-laws' houses early. My brother and SIL showed up midday Christmas Eve instead of Christmas morning as originally planned. Elmer and Lois were alone on Christmas. Sounds heavenly to me, but I think they were sad...

This. And while they are living in your house you can impose house rules. Like dinner, bath, tooth brushing, and bed time by 8:30 or 9. I found a bed time routine really helped wind my kids down and get calm at night. Are they reading to him at bed time?

I hope they are reading to him at bed time.

I read to Ben at bed time until he was 16. I would still do it if he didn't have a damn social life. I read to Annie lots - Emma likes to read to herself, though, so she will sit with a book before bed and do her own bedtime reading (though more often than not she'll sit down and listen as I read Annie her bedtime stories).

Absolutely! I think 'The Donald' is finally seeing what the rest of the world 's opinion is of him. Many stated that they were not anti-American, they were anti -Trump.

Honestly, I don't think he's truly capable of seeing things that are unflattering to him. I mean, he'll see them, but he won't process that it's not just a few crackpots, no matter the size of the crowd.

I took it to the UPS store. They didn't have a box that would fit. They went ahead and quoted me the price to ship to you. $96. I said crap no - just sell me a box I can cut down. $10. For a cardboard box. Crap. I went to Office Depot and got two boxes (for yours and for the mainland I sold) - yours wouldn't fit. It's a ukulele, dammit - how difficult can it be to find a box that will fit without getting me slapped hard with oversize charges!

UPS packing is a rip off. I would never use it. For musical instrument boxes, my advice:

1. Go to a musical instrument store. They have tons of boxes and they are just going in the dumpster. They will give you some. This strategy works best if you are a customer.
2. Order boxes from Uline. They have every possible size, they are sturdy, and they have specialized boxes for musical instruments. Cheaper than UPS, although you'll have to order.
3. Buy lots of ukuleles, all the time. Save the boxes they arrived in. This strategy has worked well for me.

We made it to Colby, KS. Pulled into the Walmart parking lot at 11:35 pm. Why Walmart, you ask? Because when you’re traveling with 10 cats what’s the one thing you must ALWAYS forget?

Cat litter.

TEN cats??? Ugh. Does the Madre know she's courting with crazy cat lady?

I want my own baby Trump balloon.

I will sell you a kit I made:

31EOAenhlJL._SY450_.jpg

party-balloon-pack-6.jpg

I have often thought about recycling bath, sink etc. water (gray water) for watering outside the house. There is no water shortage by me, or probably you, but it seems more efficient to get as much out of your resources as is possible.

Just a thought.

All of our grey water goes into the yard

July 11th was my mother's birthday. 99 Years ago. We have traveled the highway of life without her for 34 years. She was 4 years younger than I am now.

My sister-in-law (Shirley's sister) Sandy's birthday was also that day. Shirley and her family has been without her since October 2011.

As long as I am remembering: Lynn and I became orphans in 1995 when my father passed. He was about six years older than I am now.

We had a big family reunion dinner at our house last night. It was 4 years to the day since my sister-in-law passed. She was truly the best and brightest spot in our generation in our family. She was the glue that held us all together, the center of fun, the compassionate ear, and the conspiratorial prankster. She was one of the most remarkable people I've known and we all miss her fiercely.

My brother has remarried, and while it was a bit rocky getting to know his new wife I really gained a new appreciation for her last night. She understands how much Jeff loved/loves Nancy and absolutely honors that and encourages his memories and his reminiscences.

I need a fishing mentor around here. I love the idea of fishing, I've had fun doing it. But I really don't know much and would love to go with someone who knows what they're doing and can show me the ropes.

Step one, bring a cooler of beer. Step two, take it easy and don't worry about catching anything.

Honestly, I don't think he's truly capable of seeing things that are unflattering to him. I mean, he'll see them, but he won't process that it's not just a few crackpots, no matter the size of the crowd.

I dunno, he was calling EU the enemy today. I think they bruised his ego.

Top Bottom