::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

They're all at home right now. I haven't brought them back yet.

I only have a dolphin. It sounds better than a Kamaka you know, so of course I don't play that one.

Took a second reading to realize you were talking about the ukes, not the students. My brain kinda went "Home Room". Is that even still a thing?

I only have a dolphin. It sounds better than a Kamaka you know, so of course I don't play that one.

They sound great when they open up. It's the HHG you know.

Last edited:
Sukie, did you ever get a second opinion on your car?

Nope. Consensus was that they got it correct. I’d have had to pay for a tow somewhere else, too. A new to me engine is about $5,009. Plus the other damage. I only have to pay $100. Chris said it should all be okay (he is a mechanic). But I’d like to just swap my loaner out. They can keep my car. But they said no.

I just want to scream when people say cheap ones sound as good as good ones.

Nope. Consensus was that they got it correct. I’d have had to pay for a tow somewhere else, too. A new to me engine is about $5,009. Plus the other damage. I only have to pay $100. Chris said it should all be okay (he is a mechanic). But I’d like to just swap my loaner out. They can keep my car. But they said no.

My car is in the shop right now too. I'm having "electric steering" issues. It's been an ongoing thing since the car was about 18 months old. I'm wondering what happens if they can't fix the problem. It's the second time for the same thing and it's a hazard to drive. Not like a leaky gasket or something but an actual potentially life threatening problem (the steering locks up for a split second and wants to straighten out; one time so hard that it jerked the wheel out of my grip).

My rental car is a little putt putt Accord that I fall into more than "get in." Annoying.

I like them all. But there is a reason why some cost $30 and others are $3000.

There are sounds that I can't hear. So take that into consideration, please.

My car is in the shop right now too. I'm having "electric steering" issues. It's been an ongoing thing since the car was about 18 months old. I'm wondering what happens if they can't fix the problem. It's the second time for the same thing and it's a hazard to drive. Not like a leaky gasket or something but an actual potentially life threatening problem (the steering locks up for a split second and wants to straighten out; one time so hard that it jerked the wheel out of my grip).

My rental car is a little putt putt Accord that I fall into more than "get in." Annoying.

My Soul has electric steering. No problem so far.

I am waiting to get my RV back. Dropped it Saturday at a mechanic for inspection. He said the weather has been bad and it's too big to bring into garage so he has to wait till break in weather to go over it. I checked all the lights and everything I could before I dropped it. Last time a bunch of bulbs were loose but he tapped them and they worked ok. This time some were actually blowed out.

I am waiting to get my RV back. Dropped it Saturday at a mechanic for inspection. He said the weather has been bad and it's too big to bring into garage so he has to wait till break in weather to go over it. I checked all the lights and everything I could before I dropped it. Last time a bunch of bulbs were loose but he tapped them and they worked ok. This time some were actually blowed out.

My driveway feels empty without the RV here.....

Yup.
I had (and still have!) a good one, my Pono (Whatever, it may not have been that expensive, but multiple people who know ukuleles have confirmed MINE is a good one!) and it has kept me from buying a K brand for a long time because I cannot justify the additional expense (besides not really being able to afford the additional expense). Over the last 10 years of ownership I have played many sublime ukuleles - DeVines, MBs, Beau, LFdM, Hive, Lichty, Ko`olau, you name it - and YES I can totally tell the difference, not only in sound, but feel, playability, everything.

But you know what? It was not until I actually took home my CR and played it A LOT that I see that it is better than my Pono.

Just casually sampling them I don't think is sufficient to determine the differences.

There have been many nice ukuleles I have only played for 1-2 minutes - sure, they sound great, feel nice, etc. but you just can't get all the little nuances of an instrument in 1-2 minutes of playing.

But you sure can tell the difference between a Lanikai and a MB in 1-2 minutes!

I think the most noticeable difference is resonance/sustain/overtones.
You hit an arpeggio on a fine ukulele and hear each note cleanly, but also hear the tone ring a long time, and hear all tones together. That does not happen on a Dolphin, sorry.

I still think my favourite example of this was at an Ukulele Guild of Hawaii meeting when Shawn Yacavone brought in an old Martin - a 1930's era soprano. He was saying how they were like five bucks back in the day. That little thing just had so much voice in it. I normally don't enjoy playing sopranos that much but this one was such a treat to play. Really a neat experience.
I mean, you pick up a DeVine or a MB and you already know/expect it to sound great. This was just so unexpected.

This is the last week at SW for you, right Ke6n? Getting excited about next week?

Man, I either need coffee or a nap.
I don't think a nap will go over well here at my desk.

Coffee it is!

Another storm rolled through about an hour and a half ago. Electric flickered off and on 6 times and then went out. Thank goodness I have tons of battery powered lights from all of my camping equipment. Neighbors probably think I have power...Will get off here now and save some battery power for later.[SUB]hmm[/SUB]

Young punk sitting in the senior seats while tutu lady is standing in front of him.
No hilahila!

Yup.
I had (and still have!) a good one, my Pono (Whatever, it may not have been that expensive, but multiple people who know ukuleles have confirmed MINE is a good one!) and it has kept me from buying a K brand for a long time because I cannot justify the additional expense (besides not really being able to afford the additional expense). Over the last 10 years of ownership I have played many sublime ukuleles - DeVines, MBs, Beau, LFdM, Hive, Lichty, Ko`olau, you name it - and YES I can totally tell the difference, not only in sound, but feel, playability, everything.

But you know what? It was not until I actually took home my CR and played it A LOT that I see that it is better than my Pono.

Just casually sampling them I don't think is sufficient to determine the differences.

There have been many nice ukuleles I have only played for 1-2 minutes - sure, they sound great, feel nice, etc. but you just can't get all the little nuances of an instrument in 1-2 minutes of playing.

But you sure can tell the difference between a Lanikai and a MB in 1-2 minutes!

I think the most noticeable difference is resonance/sustain/overtones.
You hit an arpeggio on a fine ukulele and hear each note cleanly, but also hear the tone ring a long time, and hear all tones together. That does not happen on a Dolphin, sorry.

I still think my favourite example of this was at an Ukulele Guild of Hawaii meeting when Shawn Yacavone brought in an old Martin - a 1930's era soprano. He was saying how they were like five bucks back in the day. That little thing just had so much voice in it. I normally don't enjoy playing sopranos that much but this one was such a treat to play. Really a neat experience.
I mean, you pick up a DeVine or a MB and you already know/expect it to sound great. This was just so unexpected.

My notes ring out clear with Aton of sustain too . . . When other people play it.:biglaugh:

In all serious though. It is amazing how the different styles of play come across on that uke. You can really hear the individual notes when Sarah plays it, the percussiveness (is that a real word?) when CRaig plays. Jason Arimoto played it through a Bose system on stage and it sounded much different with his bluesy style. Corey playing classical music was the best IMO.

Top Bottom