Page 1112 of 1112 FirstFirst ... 112612101210621102111011111112
Results 11,111 to 11,114 of 11114

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

James' team played the other team in our organization yesterday for "consolation." They won easily because the two best players on the other team were injured and didn't play.

Missed a triple double by two assists.

12 points
    10 rebounds
    8 assists
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    My dad was a veteran of WWII but wouldn't accept recognition for it. He was stateside throughout the war (entered in '44 and by the time his training in naval aviation was complete the war was winding down and he wasn't sent to the Pacific). It's not that he didn't appreciate his time in the Navy, but he felt he hadn't sacrificed like others who saw action did and he was able to go to college and medical school on the GI Bill, so he felt like he'd been fully paid for his service. Besides, in his mind if you were military age during WWII enlisting was just something you did because it was the right thing to do, so he didn't feel like he deserved special recognition for it. Several of his colleagues of the same age really had the same attitudes. I think that's part of what made them the Greatest Generation.
    My dad exactly. He was a Merchant Marine during WWII and worked Merchant ships all over the world (they supplied the military ships with supplies) but we never knew him to ever call himself a veteran. Even at events where they would ask vets to stand to be honored, he wouldnít stand. When he was 70 the fed government finally recognized the Merchant Marines as official Veterans. I got all the paperwork together so he could apply for benefits but he refused. He said, ďIím fine, thatís for the guys that really were soldiers.Ē

Catalina Island was training ground for the military during WWII. Dad trained there. Last time I was there I was so happy to see the Merchant Marines flag flying next to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, and Coast Guard flags at the memorial there.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    I was at a Veterans' Day parade about 10 years ago. We had visited the Coast Guard cutter with which I shared a last name. I had bought on of their crew hats and wore it to the parade. One of the officials of the parade shot me a salute on the sidelines. I was very uncomfortable to have been mistaken to have given service. The discomfort lasted for days. I even tried to sort it out with some of the vets in the congregation.

I've received appropriate recognition for things I've done. I've no wish to masquerade as someone who I am not.
    Itís okay Padre. You did nothing wrong.

Since my son joined I look at camo clothing differently. I donít mean hunting print, but military camo. I donít buy it or wear it. It just doesnít seem right.

Their uniform is almost sacred to them. Heís not allowed to wear it unless on duty. They are told to not wear them on planes or on leave. They donít want them to be a target.

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I felt a tremendous weight off my shoulders when we said good bye to our old church...and then a tremendous sadness. Good on you for resigning in person - that's class.
    This Soo. Iím so sorry whatís supposed to be a safe place has become a place you feel uncomfortable. Hugs to you.

Thread Information