::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

The food at the first festival was good. I had a California roll, James had some fried simian noodles and Mika had a corndog. James also got a shave ice since the booth was run by Shimazu Store (IMO the best shave ice). We were planning on hitting three festivals so we didn't eat much.

The next one was tiny. I ordered their "fried chicken" and it was disappoint. I'm going to take a guess that KFC out here offers a chicken bowl that includes rice and corn because this was KFC chicken over rice with corn thrown in. Regardless, it was definitely KFC. At home, none of the Obon Festivals bring in food. It's all cooked by the different groups that participate in the event.

much disappoint

son-i-am-5ca633.jpg

We saw the food trucks - I was tempted to stop, but just not enough time! Ben is working at a food truck now (St. Johns Wings!), so I'm trying to learn more about the extensive Portland food truck culture.

That's cool.

From what I know, the food truck scene is thriving in Portland. Down here it's a bunch of money grubbers trying to capitalize on the popularity. When it started, it was a way for chefs to get gourmet level food out to the people. Now the quality of the food in the San Jose area is watered down. You have to do your research into what truck is actually innovating and good.

The first few "trucks" I heard about were in SF. "The Creme Brulee Guy" worked out of an old ice cream cart and started in the early days of Instagram. The same with "The Little Red Wagon" lady who sold ice-cream from an old Radio City Flyer wagon. She was the first to use hydrogen to make an instant ice cream. She is now "Smitten" ice cream and starting to franchise all over.

I'd say now 90% of the trucks are just glorified roach coaches. There are few "gourmet" trucks these days in San Jose area.

How are the wings?

Our room has a Keurig so I've been drinking coffee every day. Last night I stopped in a coffee shop and found a small package of pods (12) that were 100% Kona beans. What a difference!

Made my morning cup on the lanai (balcony really) much better.

I didn't have lanai coffee the whole time we were in Kauai! So sad...on the upside, it was because I slept well and by the time I was ready to get up in the morning we were off to our next thing to do.

Really slow start at the new job, but I’m not sad. I’ve needed a break for a long time. It was hard getting one at my other job. It was a good experience in a lot of ways, but draining too.

Glad to hear you've moved on to better!

I didn't have lanai coffee the whole time we were in Kauai! So sad...on the upside, it was because I slept well and by the time I was ready to get up in the morning we were off to our next thing to do.

I've been waking up at 3:30/4:00 so I have plenty of time

Akorn kamado report:
Grilled corn. 20-25 minutes, turning every 5, heavenly! Caramelized and sweet, my new favorite way to have corn.
Chicken thighs. Done my usual-ish way. Couldn't put in the indirect heat stone so I set the vents to keep about 400°. Each time I opened the grill my glasses steamed up. That doesn't happen with the Weber. The chicken was noticeably more moist. Delicious.

I'm digging this Akorn.

I'm glad it's working so well for you!

I'm at about the five year mark with mine, I think, and it's showing its age (kept outside all year long in the Pacific Northwest - it ages faster here, I bet). Time to refurbish it with a new ash pan, fire bowl, top vent gasket, and fire grate. The price will run about $120 or so, meaning I'm still less than half the price of a ceramic kamado. Char Griller has all the parts needed to refurb it, too. I still love my Akorn!

That's cool.

From what I know, the food truck scene is thriving in Portland. Down here it's a bunch of money grubbers trying to capitalize on the popularity. When it started, it was a way for chefs to get gourmet level food out to the people. Now the quality of the food in the San Jose area is watered down. You have to do your research into what truck is actually innovating and good.

The first few "trucks" I heard about were in SF. "The Creme Brulee Guy" worked out of an old ice cream cart and started in the early days of Instagram. The same with "The Little Red Wagon" lady who sold ice-cream from an old Radio City Flyer wagon. She was the first to use hydrogen to make an instant ice cream. She is now "Smitten" ice cream and starting to franchise all over.

I'd say now 90% of the trucks are just glorified roach coaches. There are few "gourmet" trucks these days in San Jose area.

How are the wings?

I haven't been yet - he just started a couple weeks ago. I was going to take the girls yesterday but they each had projects going on and we ended up running out of time. We'll get there soon!

Monterey is beautiful. If she likes seafood and pasta have her try out my cousin's restaurant. Monterey Fish House. It's really good and is a spot the locals don't talk about because there would be too many tourists :).

It's where I answered the phone to take a reservation and I thought it was a guy doing a Clint Eastwood imitation. Nope. He's a regular.

Thunk

Mmmm. . . coffee

Time for another cup.

That's cool.

How are the wings?

Moving to Phoenix I thought there'd be food trucks, taco trucks on every corner.

Nope

Yay!

I cook corn with the husk on now. When it's ready I cut off about 1/2" from the stem end and then squeeze the cob out from the other side. No "hairs'. I saw them do that at a farmer's market that sells roasted corn and I've been doing it ever since. No fuss.

I’ll have to try that. I cook corn on the cob on the grill still in the husk. I think it’s the best way to enjoy it.

That's cool.

How are the wings?

It can be hit or miss here too. Definitely have to do your homework to know which are good. Or see who has the longest lines.

For some reason that makes me feel a little better.

I did end up going. I’ve been curious about what the women’s fire group is all about. It’s was basically an informal spiritual group to share deeply. The host was someone who I had met a handful of times, but didn’t really know. Only one other person showed up, who I didn’t know, but it turns out we have a mutual acquaintance. We had a nice intimate conversation. I’m glad I went.

I’m almost always glad when I do go out but I rarely do or want to. I have missed many gatherings I regret but that fact hasn’t changed my habit of being a homebody.

Monterey is beautiful. If she likes seafood and pasta have her try out my cousin's restaurant. Monterey Fish House. It's really good and is a spot the locals don't talk about because there would be too many tourists :).

It's where I answered the phone to take a reservation and I thought it was a guy doing a Clint Eastwood imitation. Nope. He's a regular.
I used to ship one of his ex-wives hams often. She still used his name.

I had that problem Saturday morning. My phone reminded me that I had a lunch with former coworkers but I wasn't feeling social AT ALL. Sheryl convinced me to go. It was a nice time with good friends.

When Emma was little Sheryl would bake cookies for the current holiday and bring them to work and Emma would pass them out. One of my coworkers came to the lunch with all his empty cookie bags (can't believe he SAVED them!) and asked me to take them back to Emma for refills. She baked cookies yesterday and will be refilling the bags to deliver to Brent...

That is adorable and so sweet on both their efforts.

Top Bottom