Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something that really annoys me

Default Something that really annoys me

I am still waiting for my first ever Uke to get to me, it's supposed to be here on Monday, but may be delayed by a day or so, due to a mechanical failure (I guess the UPS truck broke down, lol). Anyways, I am bored, so time for an off-topic post.

Something that really annoys me is that whenever I bring up my Cigar and Pipe smoking hobby (tobacco only, no marijuana or other substances) or talk about all the fast food I like to eat, etc, etc I often get people telling me "you shouldn't smoke, it causes cancer, lung disease, etc" or "that food will give you a heart attack, high blood pressure, you're going to get diabetes" etc.

What's annoying is that, I am about a month from being 25 years old, young, but plenty old enough to understand the effects of different food types, and of tobacco smoke. I don't need people telling me things which I have known for a decade, if not more, already.

I am sure I can't be the only person who is annoyed by others telling people the obvious, especially if it's something that affects only them.

You do not need to tell people things that literally everyone knows, it's not helpful, it's just annoying, as annoying as Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on your door.

When I was your age (57 years ago) I was a determined non smoker, as I still am. Back then everybody (it seemed) smoked. As well as having to suffer their horrible fumes, I was constantly being told to, "Be man! Have a cigarette!". That was pretty annoying, too.

In your case, they're right, you know. You'll learn.

John Colter

ps. Just checking - do people still use the term, "Tongue in cheek"?
    Last edited by ukantor; 01-17-2020 at 09:06 PM.

What's annoying is that, I am about a month from being 25 years old, young, but plenty old enough to understand the effects of different food types, and of tobacco smoke. I don't need people telling me things which I have known for a decade, if not more, already.
    Beats me why you do it then......
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

At 25 you take your youth for granted. But getting old is no fun. And if you abuse your body with bad habits then the aging goes much faster. It's your choice if in 20 years you want to deal with health problems that you could also have 15 to 20 years later.

Clearly everyone has missed the point here.

This is an example of things everyone knows, and that people have heard time and time again, no one is saying anything new at all, it's all repetition, which is where being annoying comes in.

My OP just mentioned a couple examples, but there's lots of other obvious things everyone knows, which you don't need to tell people because they already know. Just gets on people's nerves.

"Clearly everyone has missed the point here"

It's not clear to me. Your OP was specifically about being warned about the perils of smoking and of a bad diet. It is hardly surprising that the responses have been about those two activities. Anyway, it's your body, so, your rules.

Live long and prosper.

John Colter.

As long as you are of reasonable intelligence, you should be aware of the hazards of smoking and eating a diet concentrated of fast fatty foods.

As long as you don’t wax eloquence regarding the joys and wonders of your indulgences, no one should be telling you to stop.

Everyone has their Piccadilly’s, and we tend to justify them. For me, I love to remember the great taste of Pizza Rolls, but I’ve long ago ceased to indulge because today they taste horrid — in addition to being unhealthy. But boy, did I enjoy them a decade or two ago. Fast foods are the same.

Smoking never enthralled me - I detested enduring the blue haze surrounding EVERY event adults were at. And I’ve lost friends and family to the consequences. College professors who lost their tongue to cancer. But, you should be aware of the hazards. Your choice.

So, if someone lectures you...

You are aware, but you enjoy these choices. Thank you for your concern. Let us change the subject.

You're exactly right.

Everyone has their vices, most of which are not healthy, and most people are aware of that.

I often do wonder what goes through the heads of those who lecture, I mean, do they honestly think an adult wouldn't know that smoking can cause negative health effects, or that eating a lot of fast food, or whatever the unhealthy vice is can be harmful somehow?

I wonder why a newbie brings up such a question and refutes those who answer. I guess that could be annoying also.

I don't recall asking any question, at all.

The intent of my OP was to rant about how telling people the obvious, is annoying, and that it happens far too often. I used my personal experiences as examples, because everyone knows those things aren't good.

For another example, telling a grown adult to look both ways before crossing the road, is just as annoying, because that should be obvious to a grown adult already.

I just don't understand why people tell others things which they should already know and which should be obvious? It just doesn't make any sense. Literally, what the hell is the point?
    Last edited by Twiggy; 01-19-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Thread Information