::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I worked at a Mobil station when I was in high school. They sold three grades of gas, at 27.9, 29.9, and 31.9.

We gave away cutlery, glassware and other promotional items at different times. We also gave out S&H Green Stamps....remember those?

At that time I had a '65 Mustang. It wouldn't hold $5 worth, like Rob said....

I remember standing there, pumping gas, and watching cars full of kids going by with signs on their cars saying, "Woodstock or Bust!".

I remember thinking, "That sounds really cool.....but I've got to work".

Idiot....

I remember standing there, pumping gas, and watching cars full of kids going by with signs on their cars saying, "Woodstock or Bust!".

I remember thinking, "That sounds really cool.....but I've got to work".

Idiot....
Oh wow! You saw them firsthand. How cool. Too bad you didn’t join them.

We've never had (in my lifetime, anyway) Esso, Gulf, Sinclair, or Conoco around here. Hmm. Pretty sure about Conoco.

Reminds me of a dumb joke that had me in stitches as a kid:

Why didn't the bee stop at the Sinclair station?

Because he was an Esso bee.

(say it out loud for full effect)

Reminds me of a dumb joke that had me in stitches as a kid:

Why didn't the bee stop at the Sinclair station?

Because he was an Esso bee.

(say it out loud for full effect)
I had to say it out loud to get it.

I thought Gulf turned into Union 76 but google says no. Two separate companies.

Who had the pegasus as the logo? Was that Mobil? Wasn't there a Unico or something like that back then too? There aren't any more Texacos in the Bay Area that I know of. When I was in high school I would get gas at Rotten Robbies because they were the cheapest in the area. Now I'm all about Costco :)

I had a pal who worked at a Gulf station and it was closest to Burlingame High. The Guld stations on the Peninsula all turned into Olympic stations. There was a Terrible Herbst in San Mateo. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw Terrible Herbst show up on my Google Maps someplace in Illinois on the last road trip. I remember Rotten Robbies too.

Pegasus was Mobil.

I remember being vaguely aware of gas prices when I was a little kid, and my dad grumbling when they rose above 30 cents. I also remember free stuff from gas stations, including dinosaur banks from Sinclair (I saw a Sinclair in Kansas this week! I didn't realize they were still in business!) and Disney record albums from Gulf (I still have one!)

1950s-60s-Sinclair-Oil-Dinosaur-Bank.jpg

url

url

Happiest-Songs-LP-600.jpg

Hell yeah Sinclair. They even run TV ads here.

I worked at a Mobil station when I was in high school. They sold three grades of gas, at 27.9, 29.9, and 31.9.

We gave away cutlery, glassware and other promotional items at different times. We also gave out S&H Green Stamps....remember those?

Green Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps. I remember my mom shopping on "triple stamp days". Redemption Center in town.

I had a pal who worked at a Gulf station and it was closest to Burlingame High. The Guld stations on the Peninsula all turned into Olympic stations. There was a Terrible Herbst in San Mateo. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw Terrible Herbst show up on my Google Maps someplace in Illinois on the last road trip. I remember Rotten Robbies too.

Pegasus was Mobil.

I had a Terrible Herbst, but the doctor gave me some ointment and now it's much better. Hardly herbst at all.

Top Bottom