::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Kinda cool.

I just got a short email from Zach at the Ukulele Site telling me to hang out at the Kakaako store this year. I guess he's managing the store and working from there.

I've been telling my foods students for years that the rise of Celiac disease must be tied into the way we grow or process wheat. So many people don't all of a sudden start getting the disease without any explanation.

I read an article yesterday that is tying Round Up/Monsanto and the chemicals they use to the rise of celiacs.

Just got an email stating our heating is down.

Good thing we're in California and not somewhere really cold because I'm miserable in here.

My boss was just whining about his heat being out. He lives in Rancho Cucamonga. Whaa whaa. A coworker is also having issues. He lives in Colorado - he DOES have an issue!

no, it’s not. Listen to NPR every morning, they will keep you updated on world events without the hype. For gawds sake Gary, you’re a teacher and a father.

If you have an echo set it for a “NPR flash briefing”. It’s quick, concise, and you’ll know what’s happening in the nation and world.

I often ask the Google Home Mini "What's up?" in the morning. It gives me a summary from NPR. It's great.

I've been telling my foods students for years that the rise of Celiac disease must be tied into the way we grow or process wheat. So many people don't all of a sudden start getting the disease without any explanation.

I read an article yesterday that is tying Round Up/Monsanto and the chemicals they use to the rise of celiacs.

Source of article? There are lots of articles out there that are pure crap but manage to sound knowledgeable. Reputable sourcing is everything. I'm much more inclined to believe the rise in diagnosed celiac disease is because there's way more talk about gluten, so people are being checked for it more.

Source of article? There are lots of articles out there that are pure crap but manage to sound knowledgeable. Reputable sourcing is everything. I'm much more inclined to believe the rise in diagnosed celiac disease is because there's way more talk about gluten, so people are being checked for it more.

I on the other hand just like to bash Monsanto.

I'll look for it. It was a magazine article I read while waiting.

Not the magazine article I read but pretty much the same conclusion and "evidence."

https://drugsafetynews.com/2017/07/10/celiac-disease-gluten-intolerance-glyphosate-connection/

They mention one researcher who established a correlation between glyphosate and wheat - but correlation does NOT equal causation. Repeat that over and over and over. The site itself is a propaganda site of worthless value for objective evaluation of the issue.

I am not saying it's not an issue - I'm saying that this article provides no solid evidence that it is, but draws the conclusion that the correlation equals causation in this case. This is bad reporting and exists to support a bias.

Yeah, I can't find any solid organizations backing this up.

. . . or maybe Monsanto pays them off to not analyze this :eek:)

I know you're being funny - but there are way too many people who assume Monsanto = evil because Monsanto is successful at what they do. Just like people who claim that Nike is evil because they are successful and they use overseas labor therefore must be running slave labor sweatshops. Just like people who claim that Apple is evil because they are the biggest (or were until recently) company by market value.

Yes, large companies have been caught doing evil things. So have small and in-between companies, but the big ones get the attention because they're the most press-worthy. But just like correlation doesn't equal causation, corporate success doesn't equal evil doing in everything the company accomplishes. Stay objective, demand reputable, repeatable evidence. Demand peer review. Demand solid proof before making up your mind instead of relying on the phrase, "it just makes sense that..."

They mention one researcher who established a correlation between glyphosate and wheat - but correlation does NOT equal causation. Repeat that over and over and over. The site itself is a propaganda site of worthless value for objective evaluation of the issue.

I am not saying it's not an issue - I'm saying that this article provides no solid evidence that it is, but draws the conclusion that the correlation equals causation in this case. This is bad reporting and exists to support a bias.

Almost all the articles make that correlation.

We've had the discussion in my food science class and I explain it using the plague as an example. People die when there were rats present so it must be rats. They didn't think about the fleas on the rats.

But I bet it's something very similar to this. I don't believe it's just diagnosed more I really do believe we're causing it somehow.

I know you're being funny - but there are way too many people who assume Monsanto = evil because Monsanto is successful at what they do. Just like people who claim that Nike is evil because they are successful and they use overseas labor therefore must be running slave labor sweatshops. Just like people who claim that Apple is evil because they are the biggest (or were until recently) company by market value.

Yes, large companies have been caught doing evil things. So have small and in-between companies, but the big ones get the attention because they're the most press-worthy. But just like correlation doesn't equal causation, corporate success doesn't equal evil doing in everything the company accomplishes. Stay objective, demand reputable, repeatable evidence. Demand peer review. Demand solid proof before making up your mind instead of relying on the phrase, "it just makes sense that..."

I don't like Monsanto because they bullied an uncle out of business. Sued him and tied him up in courts. Worked out for him because he went on to broker beans but yeah, no love for corporate farming and the companies that support them. It has nothing to do with "what they're doing to our environment."

Almost all the articles make that correlation.

We've had the discussion in my food science class and I explain it using the plague as an example. People die when there were rats present so it must be rats. They didn't think about the fleas on the rats.

But I bet it's something very similar to this. I don't believe it's just diagnosed more I really do believe we're causing it somehow.

Your beliefs are not proof. I base my beliefs on proof.

I don't like Monsanto because they bullied an uncle out of business. Sued him and tied him up in courts. Worked out for him because he went on to broker beans but yeah, no love for corporate farming and the companies that support them. It has nothing to do with "what they're doing to our environment."

Like I said, they may be no angels, but the articles prove nothing about a problem with Roundup.

Like I said, they may be no angels, but the articles prove nothing about a problem with Roundup.

I agree.

That's why I always use the rat analogy when the discussion comes up. And it comes up every year when I show skewed "documentaries" like Food Inc.

So, all these years I had it wrong.

They put my uncle's family out of business and they had to grow tomatoes. My uncle, with partners, bought the Vernalis Bean Warehouse in '79.

I don't know the details because they never talked about it but Monsanto was always the bad guy growing up.

I think cramping was a poor choice of words. It's really just a sever tightening just below the muscle. I haven't had it looked at but I have a feeling it's tendon related because the pain isn't in the muscle itself.

I could help you fix that.

Top Bottom