::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I got tired of walking into our staff bathroom (small room with a toilet and a sink; like a large stall) and having that smell of sh*t not very well masked by "Hawaiian Breeze" so I stopped at the store and bought a box of matchbooks. I left a couple in each of the bathrooms in my building. I hope people are old enough to know how to use them :eek:)

That reminds me, something was very much on fire when I left school Friday. I wonder what it was? Guess I'll find out next week.

Someone who just finished a cigarette sat down next to me on TheBus.
As a former smoker myself, I apologise for all the people that I have foisted that odor upon.
Man, did I really smell like that all day?
Sorry.

Not only did you smell like that, you tasted like that, too.

It never fails to amaze me that I married a smoker. So glad he quit.

I also put it out there on FB that I have congestive heart failure and now I'm getting a ton of texts and PM's. Including lectures from two high school friends that are now both cardiac surgeons.

Disclosure is a funny thing. And having to do it over and over again.

On the health front, my mail assured me that I don't have breast cancer. So that's good. Still no explanation for the frequent stabbing chest pain. (Yes, I've had a week long cardiac monitor with several noted events.) Maybe it's just a thing I get to live with.

Maybe "trying to be" is optimistic phrasing. Maybe it's just... after a day like that, I couldn't do other than move slow if you paid me.

Had a great dinner last night at Rosa’s Italian restaurant. Really old school. Totally the ‘70s. Chunky wine glasses. Plasticky tablecloths. All the good old recipes on the menu. I had linguine with clams and garlic.

I miss Sylvia's. It was one of our family favorites in Portland - they've been gone quite a while now, but it was just like you described.

Someone who just finished a cigarette sat down next to me on TheBus.
As a former smoker myself, I apologise for all the people that I have foisted that odor upon.
Man, did I really smell like that all day?
Sorry.

Yes, you did. The smell of a heavy smoker who has just returned from a cigarette break is far worse than the smell of the cigarette itself.

I miss Sylvia's. It was one of our family favorites in Portland - they've been gone quite a while now, but it was just like you described.

Does Portland still have those "Steak in the Sky" places? I don't remember the name but they had a 72 oz steak challenge.

I also put it out there on FB that I have congestive heart failure and now I'm getting a ton of texts and PM's. Including lectures from two high school friends that are now both cardiac surgeons.

Don't you love those lectures? Your post made it pretty clear that you're working closely with doctors - shouldn't be any question about whether you need advice.

Does Portland still have those "Steak in the Sky" places? I don't remember the name but they had a 72 oz steak challenge.

That was Sayler's Old Country Kitchen. That was another family regular. It's funny - all our family favorite restaurants were on the other side of town. When the whole family went out to dinner it meant piling into two cars and caravaning across town.

Country Kitchen is still there in the original location (not the original building - that burned down when I was a kid but they rebuilt in the same location). They opened a second one on my side of town - it was probably there for 10 years before they closed it. Not sure why - it was always really busy.

That was Sayler's Old Country Kitchen. That was another family regular. It's funny - all our family favorite restaurants were on the other side of town. When the whole family went out to dinner it meant piling into two cars and caravaning across town.

Country Kitchen is still there in the original location (not the original building - that burned down when I was a kid but they rebuilt in the same location). They opened a second one on my side of town - it was probably there for 10 years before they closed it. Not sure why - it was always really busy.

The 72 ounce steak is still on the menu - if you can eat the entire thing - including the potatoes and all the other trimmings that come with the meal - in one hour then your dinner is free. They took a beating on that offer for the one year Portland had a professional football team (the USFL - remember them?).

I think James is starting another growth spurt. He's eating a ton of food right now.

Last night I made sliders with King's Hawaiian rolls. Each patty was about 3 oz. and he had four of them. Plus a big helping of rice (he wanted rice instead of French fries).

Two hours later he wanted yogurt and a dessert because he was hungry again.

For breakfast this morning he said he was "starving" and had an everything bagel w/cream cheese; two milks; and my labneh toast. I noticed n his school lunch account he's been ordering two lunches when he goes with the school lunch. Last time he did that he was feeding a kid who's family didn't send him with lunch, this time I have a feeling it's all for him.

That kid better hit 6' soon :)

Don't you love those lectures? Your post made it pretty clear that you're working closely with doctors - shouldn't be any question about whether you need advice.

Their "lectures" are more about how to take care of myself and are empathetic in tone. I'm loved :biglaugh:

The 72 ounce steak is still on the menu - if you can eat the entire thing - including the potatoes and all the other trimmings that come with the meal - in one hour then your dinner is free. They took a beating on that offer for the one year Portland had a professional football team (the USFL - remember them?).

That thing looked like a roast!

But, but... he's still only 5 years old in my head.

He's not that tall but much taller than I was at the same age. He's about 5'4" right now in his basketball shoes. I was 5'5" the start of my freshman year of high school. He's in the middle of 6th grade.

I still see my little boy as well, but now he's starting to laugh at sexual innuendo and can actually converse with people instead of yes or no while looking down at his shoes.

Top Bottom