::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I want to learn to make my own gravy for Loco Moco.

I just did some quick investigating and basically the gravy is just a beef broth gravy. Some recipes call for a bit of onion and/or mushroom but I think the "secret" to Hawaiian loco moco gravy is a dash of soy sauce instead of salt.

I start with a standard roux of equal weight of flour and butter and then whisk that into the broth. The broth needs to be hotter than the roux to prevent lumps. 3T flour + 2T butter will thicken 1C of liquid. Make sure to cook the roux for a bit until the flour smell is gone otherwise it will taste like flour. The darker the roux, the less it will thicken.

I, on the other hand, use an artery clogging amount of butter on my own potatoes.

I actually just use a hand masher because I kind of like the occasional lump or two. I don't like perfectly whipped, mashed potatoes. Reminds me of KFC.

Folies Bergère

That's a rather unconventional move. Don't see that one very often.

I'm going to have to go with Ring of Brodgar. Time to block that instant gratification and force things down a new path.

I'm going to have to ask for relief under Rule 32 section 3 - Dinner Ruling

Brothel on Station Road, Paisley, known as Paisley Carnal

I must plead 'skinges' after your next move, in order to consider my response with my team between now and tomorrow night.

Understandable.

I think I'll do a pre-thanksgiving cooking session this week.

Mashed potatoes and teach them how to make a gravy?

They can practice knife skills on the potatoes (Julienne, battonet cuts) and how to avoid lumps in the gravy.

I'm going to be doing that on Black Friday while Sheryl shops. We're doing Thanksgiving at my sister's and probably won't have any leftovers, so we're going to do our own to make up for that.

I actually just use a hand masher because I kind of like the occasional lump or two. I don't like perfectly whipped, mashed potatoes. Reminds me of KFC.

Blasphemy. We like ours perfectly whipped, light, and fluffy. Sheryl's brother leaves lumps - mine are smooth and silky. And do NOT taste anything like KFC.

Blasphemy. We like ours perfectly whipped, light, and fluffy. Sheryl's brother leaves lumps - mine are smooth and silky. And do NOT taste anything like KFC.

I like lumps and skins! Gasp! I use red potatoes. Besides butter and cream my mashed potatoes have lots of chopped garlic.

Top Bottom