::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

The other night on the Voice a singer did Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. Not a new concept but it works out nicely. It gives it a very different sound. A minor key sound.

I told ya that, so I could tell ya this...

I picked up the uke and found that I didn't immediately remember the chords to House of the Rising Sun. I've played it thousands of times. A little play and try a chord here and there and then run through it a few times and I'm back in business.
So the moral to this story is even though you know something by heart doesn't mean that you don't have to get it out and work with it every once in a while.

The other night on the Voice a singer did Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. Not a new concept but it works out nicely. It gives it a very different sound. A minor key sound.

Don't forget the trumpet. It was striking.

I wanted very much to watch that, and had it on, but apparently it was very important for me to be engaged in conversation when she performed. I saw the rehearsal sessions, and the very end of the performance.

The talent level is quite high this year, especially amongst the young ladies. I look forward to it every week....

I told ya that, so I could tell ya this...

I picked up the uke and found that I didn't immediately remember the chords to House of the Rising Sun. I've played it thousands of times. A little play and try a chord here and there and then run through it a few times and I'm back in business.
So the moral to this story is even though you know something by heart doesn't mean that you don't have to get it out and work with it every once in a while.

I fully understand. The difference with me is that I never really get the songs "off book" in the first place. There are songs I've played hundreds, if not thousands of times, but without the book I can't tell you what chords are in them, much less play them. Mental block?

I'm headed off to knitting group, and then to work....both for the last time until after Easter. We leave for Florida tomorrow!

We are off to the Bay Area today. 2 easy days in the saddle. Dinner Friday night at Chez Panisse Cafe. Visit to the ocean. See my family. Stop in Visalia on the way home to pick up roses for Mrs Pere's garden-in-the-making.

Maybe check in tonight from scenic Barstow, California.

We are off to the Bay Area today. 2 easy days in the saddle. Dinner Friday night at Chez Panisse Cafe. Visit to the ocean. See my family. Stop in Visalia on the way home to pick up roses for Mrs Pere's garden-in-the-making.

hmmmmm Barstow, lovely town.

So jealous. I LOVE that restaurant.

I got to meet Alice Waters and she signed a book for me.

Safe travels sir.

So jealous. I LOVE that restaurant.

I got to meet Alice Waters and she signed a book for me.

Safe travels sir.

If you make your way to wine country try Bouchon Bistro (Yountville). It's a Thomas Keller restaurant that kind of takes the Chez Panisse mentality. Simple foods done very, very, well. Whatever else you order, do yourself a favor and order the fries . . . excuse me. Frites.

Perfection.

I'm feeling better about my booted kid this morning.

I don't think there was anything more that I could do for him. It's really down to the parents to put aside their "wants" and do what their son "needs". Mainstreaming him isn't going to make his communication issues disappear nor help him control his impulsiveness.

Still feel bad for the kid but I don't blame myself any more. I feel like the parents put his teachers and his son in a position to fail.

I'm feeling better about my booted kid this morning.

I don't think there was anything more that I could do for him. It's really down to the parents to put aside their "wants" and do what their son "needs". Mainstreaming him isn't going to make his communication issues disappear nor help him control his impulsiveness.

Still feel bad for the kid but I don't blame myself any more. I feel like the parents put his teachers and his son in a position to fail.

You did nothing wrong, you can't ignore negative behavior. If they wanted him to learn something from you, you did the right thing, whether he learned anything or not, is not something you can control.

You did nothing wrong, you can't ignore negative behavior. If they wanted him to learn something from you, you did the right thing, whether he learned anything or not, is not something you can control.

Please, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

I fully understand. The difference with me is that I never really get the songs "off book" in the first place. There are songs I've played hundreds, if not thousands of times, but without the book I can't tell you what chords are in them, much less play them. Mental block?

It probably wouldn't hurt to learn a couple of songs off book. House of the Rising Sun would probably be a good one.
I do:
Am, C, D, F - Am, C, E7
Am, C, D, F - Am, E7, Am, E7.

More or less two beats on the chords. A little more on the E7s, on the end, that turn you around to go back to the Am to start again.
Just start playing it, 'cause you know what it sounds like. You probably already know the words?

Please tell my baby brother
Not to do as I have done
For he'll spend his life, in sin and misery
In the house of the rising sun.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom