Page 1464 of 1489 FirstFirst ... 464964136414141454146214631464146514661474 ... LastLast
Results 14,631 to 14,640 of 14885

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    I asked her why she never corrected me. She said that I was pronouncing it correctly but ever since her third grad teacher mispronounced her name as "Sonia" people have been calling her that and she just kind of adopted it.
    That is hilarious!

We have always called our girls Emma and Annie. Their "formal" or "real" names are Emily and Marianne.

NEITHER girl corrected her teacher in the first days of school when the teacher called them by their formal names. And now both girls are known by those names at school - teachers and friends alike.
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Parents giving their kids weird spellings of their names is really inconsiderate to the kid. It doesn't make your kid any more special, you are just dooming them to a life of having to spell or pronounce their names every time they have an sort of official interaction. Kind of a pet peeve of mine.

We broke two of Hank's rules: Name your child what you will call them and avoid the most popular names of that year (Emily was in the top 10 when Emma was born).
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulelerob View Post
    My children are, John Allen and Angela Dawn. Angela's are Alexis Olivia and Clayton Riley.
    My brother in law is Daniel. When he was born they were too poor for a middle name.
    My mothers family just gave the girls first names. When they married they kept their maiden sir name for a middle name.
    My daughter kept her three names and added her husbands for the last.
    My paternal grandparents were Delbert Oliver and Effie. Grandma didn't have a middle name. Grandpa had a sister named Mignonette (Nettie) and a brother named Oland. He also had a brother John and a sister Susan. Go figure.
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    As someone with an uncommon (yet still not made-up) name, I went through a few phases of liking and not liking it.
    In elementary school I just wanted a "normal" name like all my friends. I could never find any of those personalized items at the store like a cup or those little license plates with your name on it for your bike.
    I get annoyed having to correct people sometimes.
    Starbucks is fun.
    Anyhow by the time I was 15 or 16 I kind of liked having a different name.
    I also think once Matt Damon became famous at least most people have heard the name and now can even spell it correctly. So that helps.
    I have met only five people with my name, one of them is female, and one also spells his differently (Daemon).
    So I think a unique or interesting name is overall a good thing, but not a weird or made-up name just to be weird or made-up.
    Some of those names with accent marks that do not affect pronunciation are probably my biggest pet peeves.

Parents being clever can end up just being cruel though.

Sometimes they do well though.
    For example, I like the name Aldrine.
    I don't know how many of you know the story behind it.
    His parents wanted to give him an American name. They named him after Buzz Aldrin. But they added the "e" at the end to make it "more American."
    I think that's a great story too!
    I've been Jon all my life. Correcting the spelling (No H!) is just a fact of life. Of course, I only correct it if it will matter (going into lasting documentation).

When I was 14 we discovered that my "formal" first name was spelled Jonathon instead of Jonathan, which is a much more common spelling. We didn't know until we ordered a copy of my birth certificate so I could get a passport. I blamed the records clerk at the hospital, but my mom said, "Well...I signed the form."
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    You mean Flash?
    Add character name drop fail to the list.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I hope that chili recipe shows up and you share it! We have a recipe that was my dad's. It's very good, but there's just something missing and I've never been able to put my finger on it. Dad did something to it that he never wrote down, because ours isn't quite the same. I'm always up for a new chili, but I don't want to just start going through recipes.
    I love Nanilei's chili.
    It is basic, but really good.
    No recipe.
    She just whips it up.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    Add character name drop fail to the list.
    Flash, Flash, 100 yard dash.
    Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

Bunker-scope shows a sunny, blue sky day out there.

Monday night and yesterday we had all sorts of precipitation falling: rain, sleet, graupel (it's a real thing), snow, and some other stuff. Wind. Snow squalls causing white-out conditions. Lots of fun!

Today is calm and bright.

Quote Originally Posted by spots View Post
    Bunker-scope shows a sunny, blue sky day out there.

Monday night and yesterday we had all sorts of precipitation falling: rain, sleet, graupel (it's a real thing), snow, and some other stuff. Wind. Snow squalls causing white-out conditions. Lots of fun!

Today is calm and bright.
    Graupel. I always called it snow pellets. Never knew it had a real name!

Jon's Facebooks
    The PoHo Store

Graupel. I always called it snow pellets. Never knew it had a real name!
    Snow is fascinating stuff.

[Nerd Alert On]

There are a few places in Bend and Sisters that offer avalanche training classes, and rescue classes. One the things you learn in the avalanche training class is how to dig snow pits and ananlyze the various snow layers to determine which layers are weak, which ones are cohesive, etc.

Having a layer of graupel sandwiched between two dense layers of snow is like putting ball bearings between two sheets of plywood.

[Nerd Alert Off]

Thread Information