::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Apparently the plane I heard pull up earlier was not my plane. My plane just got here.

Is it just me, or is the handicapped driver tag thing kind of out of control? Seems like 4 out of 5 times I see the people walking to and from their car with no apparent medical issue.

Careful. It can be an internal issue you can’t see. Just as an example, people with Crohns look absolutely normal. But many have had multiple operations and still use the facilities up to 30 times a day. Sometimes just getting out of bed and getting dressed can be a huge win for the day.

And my best friend Judy looks normal, but she has back and foot issues that limit her mobility. She fell down stairs 40 years ago and broke her back. She’s 50% disabled and is thankful she’s not in a wheelchair.

I LOVE sushi. In fact when I was a sushi chef I ate sushi every day for 12 years.

Now James has discovered sushi and declared maguro nigiri to be the best food on earth. The problem is that quality sushi is expensive. Really expensive. For his birthday dinner he wanted to go to Sansei sushi which was downstairs at the Marriot where we were staying. We had just flown in and we were exhausted so it seemed like a good idea.

That kid ate 8 orders and he also wanted to try the eel roll.

His bill alone was about $90.00

Yesterday I made the mistake of telling him he could pick dinner. I actually forgot he was on this sushi kick. So yeah, he picked sushi. But instead of going out, I asked my FIL to cook some rice (their place has a kitchen) and I took James shopping. We bought the stuff to make the rice and then we went to Tamashiro's Fish Market to pick out some fish and I showed him how to make sushi. "Hey papa, you do that like a real chef!"

We had a pretty fun and tasty evening.

That’s a wonderful skill to pass down also!!!

I qualify for a handicapped tag right now and Mika is mad that I won't get one. Honestly, there are some days that parking close would have been a good thing because of my breathing, but you can't tell that I'm ready to drop because I'm out of breathe so I don't want to deal with the assholes that would say something.

And yes, my breathing gets that bad. If your heart can't get blood to your lungs, breathing becomes very difficult.

Just get a hanging one to use on those days you need it. Screw the critics.

We (I think Gary is in this we as well) were having a discussion about lack of good Mexican in Hawaii and why, it is a mystery...

I think I got my finger on the pulse of this issue last night at the market.

The checker was entering produce of the customer ahead of me in line. He holds up a produce bag, and asks the customer, "What kind of peppers are these?"
The customer thinks, draws a blank, reaches into his pocket, pulls out his lists, scans it, and replies "jalapenos"
He pronounced the J like Japan.

So, if people purchasing peppers and the guy working in the store don't even know what jalapenos are, it becomes much more clear why these people cannot cook Mexican food.

I really need to move there and open a taco shop. Dang I could bring Luis and serve pupusas too! His family is from El Salvador.

Ooooh, thanks for the tip. I think that shirt was $105.00 and that's why I didn't grab it. Hard to pay that much when you can go to Walmart and get decent aloha shirts for under $20.00

But a RS is an RS.

That place was really pricey.

My buddy used to manage there and we must have gotten a huge discount because our bill was never even close to what we paid that day. James ordered 8 orders of maguro nigiri. Next time he finished two bowls of rice before he can order sushi. :)
And a big couple of glasses of water before you get to the restaurant.

Careful. It can be an internal issue you can’t see. Just as an example, people with Crohns look absolutely normal. But many have had multiple operations and still use the facilities up to 30 times a day. Sometimes just getting out of bed and getting dressed can be a huge win for the day.

And my best friend Judy looks normal, but she has back and foot issues that limit her mobility. She fell down stairs 40 years ago and broke her back. She’s 50% disabled and is thankful she’s not in a wheelchair.

I'll have an ICD for my heart and you won't be able to tell. You'd just think I walked slower than most.

I really need to move there and open a taco shop. Dang I could bring Luis and serve pupusas too! His family is from El Salvador.

One of my students wanted me to go to her home and make pupusas with her grandmother. She says I made them faster and better than her grandmother and her grandmother makes them for a restaurant.

Sushi chefs are good at shaping things with their hands!

Gary, can you teach me how to make Tanioka's sushi rice?

We're probably stopping by there soon so I'll give it a taste and see where it differs from restaurant style.

I know my grandmother/great grandmother's used Heinz vinegar because that's all they could get. The taste is completely different but when I have sushi made with Heinz it instantly takes me back to O-bachan and my grandmother and great aunt's cooking. Comfort food I guess.

Maybe we can make some futo-maki. They sell all the stuff at Marukai, probably Foodland and Times as well.

One of my students wanted me to go to her home and make pupusas with her grandmother. She says I made them faster and better than her grandmother and her grandmother makes them for a restaurant.

Sushi chefs are good at shaping things with their hands!

Rich, whaddaya got for this? I'm coming up empty.

Top Bottom