::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

We saw Incredibles 2 yesterday afternoon - part 1 of my Father's Day events. It was a lot of fun.

After the movie we went for a walk around the lake in the neighborhood where I grew up. It has really improved since I was a kid - back then it was a park, but the lake was mostly just a catchment for storm drain run off. The parks department has put a lot of effort into improving the ecosystem around the lake - there are now areas that are off limits to people so the waterfowl can nest undisturbed and the vegetation can grow naturally. Anyway, about half way around the lake Sheryl said to me, "What do you think that guy is taking pictures of?" I looked up and there was an osprey sitting in the branches of a tree! We chatted with the photographer - he spends a lot of time at the lake and said there are at least three osprey living near the lake. He has seen them catch fish in the lake. NEVER when I was a child would that lake have supported an ecosystem that can allow apex predators like the osprey to survive and thrive. It made my heart happy!

I like this story. It's hopeful.

Northern California and Southern California have very little in common. Two very different economies, different infrastructures, different people. It becomes a problem with state government trying to make two very different areas happy with their decisions. Many states have done it. The Dakotas, Carolinas, etc.

The current plan would split off Northern California (mostly open land and Frisco area) from southern and central (mostly agricultural). A third state on the coast including LA to Santa Barbara counties would be a third mostly populated area.

Economically each state would have their best interest voted on separately.

The Carolinas and Dakotas did it before they became states, I believe. It's a lot more work to change a state than a non-state territory.

We saw Incredibles 2 yesterday afternoon - part 1 of my Father's Day events. It was a lot of fun.

After the movie we went for a walk around the lake in the neighborhood where I grew up. It has really improved since I was a kid - back then it was a park, but the lake was mostly just a catchment for storm drain run off. The parks department has put a lot of effort into improving the ecosystem around the lake - there are now areas that are off limits to people so the waterfowl can nest undisturbed and the vegetation can grow naturally. Anyway, about half way around the lake Sheryl said to me, "What do you think that guy is taking pictures of?" I looked up and there was an osprey sitting in the branches of a tree! We chatted with the photographer - he spends a lot of time at the lake and said there are at least three osprey living near the lake. He has seen them catch fish in the lake. NEVER when I was a child would that lake have supported an ecosystem that can allow apex predators like the osprey to survive and thrive. It made my heart happy!

I think I posted this already but Jack Jack vs The Raccoon was hilarious!

Yeah, as regal as they look, bald eagles are mostly scavengers, just a step above vultures. They can hunt for themselves, but they'd prefer to steal. Ospreys and red-tailed hawks are my favorite raptors.

We have some peregrine falcons in downtown San Jose . It’s awesome to see them knock a pigeon out of the air.

Northern California and Southern California have very little in common. Two very different economies, different infrastructures, different people. It becomes a problem with state government trying to make two very different areas happy with their decisions. Many states have done it. The Dakotas, Carolinas, etc.

The current plan would split off Northern California (mostly open land and Frisco area) from southern and central (mostly agricultural). A third state on the coast including LA to Santa Barbara counties would be a third mostly populated area.

Economically each state would have their best interest voted on separately.

Won’t work. You need our water. Water rights kill it every time. It’s just a publicity stunt to get the latest rich guy into office.

We have some peregrine falcons in downtown San Jose . It’s awesome to see them knock a pigeon out of the air.

We have some in downtown Portland, too - I've seen one by the hospital where I used to work. That's only about 3 miles from my house. I just love the red tails though.

I think I posted this already but Jack Jack vs The Raccoon was hilarious!

I heard the short before the movie was fantastic.

I’m trying to rally my crew into seeing it Friday night.

Me too. This country's politics have become the opposite of what we were supposedly founded on. It saddens me and I just want out. It is no longer a place I'm proud of.

I fully agree with you about our current politics! They're certainly not what our founders would have wanted for us. And, it saddens me, too.

But, I have never wanted out, and can't imagine I ever will. While I'm not proud of what our current government has become, I'm still proud of who and what we, as a people, are. I am optimistic that time will correct the problems we see currently, and that the pendulum will swing the other way.

We need the best of us to stay in order for that to happen....

I heard the short before the movie was fantastic.

I’m trying to rally my crew into seeing it Friday night.

Being Japanese it didn't do much for me. They kind of crossed some Japanese culture into what should have been all Chinese.

They'll just label it "Asian" and be done with it.

It was cute but bugged me quite a bit.

Top Bottom