::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

Whatcha get? I never expected to love my iPhone XR as much as I do...but I really love it. Android and iOS are both great and there's great stuff available on both platforms. But I have no regrets switching to an iPhone.

I had picked up an iPhone X and gave up my Samsung Note8 a few months ago. I'm loving how well it integrates in with the iPad and MacBook Air. I now have...AirPods. AND THEY'RE FABULOUS (at least for my purposes).

Last edited:
Kids with crazy dreams don’t need a reality check. They just need facts and encouragement. When things get tough they will alter their course and find a new more reasonable path all on their own. Trying is half of doing, and they always have options along the way. Discouragement doesn’t help, only hinders. Keep everything positive.

I wanted to go into environmental sciences or studies in college out of state. My parents were dead set against my major. At the time I hadn’t gotten out from under their expectations, so I stayed home and went to a community college. While I took a lot of interesting classes, I couldn’t decide at the time on another major. I ended up dropping out, because it seemed pointless to be in school without a goal.

I’ve known people who were lousy students in high school, flourish in college. So I agree with Sally to keep it positive. Maybe help them identify what learning skills they need to work on to be more successful in school and in life?

Last edited:
So when do you encourage a kid to follow his dreams or drop reality on him?

I'm talking to a kid right now and out of curiosity I asked him what he was going to do next year.

"I'm going to school to be a pediatrician." I could tell he was serious.

We talked about the amount of schooling, the expense etc., and I was very encouraging. But this kid is going to night school and attended summer school every year for credit recovery. I think it would be amazing if he reaches his goal but I don't think he understands the reality of his situation. Granted, college is a new start but he's pretty much starting from ground zero as far as knowing how to be a successful student.

Would he even be accepted into such a program?

Last edited:
On getting on to one's hoped-for path and encouragement vs reality check:

Imma just sit here, smile, and wave.

Oh hell, no I'm not.

I never hit the sweet spot with B V-B. I know I was mostly realistic and that I probably crushed something within him. He may get on a good path soon. He keeps saying that things are falling into place. He now has a job (started Monday) but hasn't gotten a paycheck yet. He's been accepted at ASU, but hasn't begun classes yet. And one of his co-workers is a drummer.

My story is that I earned a degree in a non-hopeful field that did come in handy in the parishes. Worked jobs I didn't really like in order to pay the bills. Grad school at 30ish. One marriage cratered but th better one began. Moved across country and back chasing "vocation". Bailed out of one congregation 6 weeks before it became a big smoking hole to move halfway across the country to an 18 year job that really wasn't a great fit. Retired. Got what I wanted, but it wasn't always what I wanted.

Retirement is great.

I think I got most of my stuff together for our multi-family retreat. Heading there after work. Hopefully holiday traffic will have died down by the evening.

Also something must be up. A friend of the wife her husband is in the reserves .....got called in in August for at least 9 months to iraq......

My son is supposed to be home next March. I’m going to be so angry if that doesn’t happen. The Orange Asshole just sent 1500 soldiers to the “Middle East”.

Rafe Report:

Saturday: Make WHAFF-les, beginner uke jam, laundry, water the ukes.
Sunday: a rich day of motorsport, popcorn & beverage on the couch; do what Mrs Pere tells me to do.
Monday: Keep in mind those who died while wearing the country's uniform, grill some meat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom