::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

They have been talking about it for quite a while. I thought it had already happened.

My perception was there has been lots and lots of talk about it, but I did not realize that it was voted on, passed, and is likely to actually happen, with a date and everything...

In Fantastic Beasts it sounded like they were saying "Nikini". Last night I was watching the HP marathon and heard the correct name. Not a huge Potterhead but I thought all of the movies were well done except the last two. They were kind of slow.

And in the movies they say voldemorT but it's actually supposed to be said like "voldemore". Like a French T, I guess.

Just like there are no American pasties. Well, there are, but you have to go to a strip club to see them.

We have pasties in Michigan. Typically closer to the U.P.

Unless they're different than the ones you're talking about? They're basically like meat stew in a pastry pocket. No silverware required. The original Hot Pocket.

Less surface area for cooling.

Actually, brachycephalic (smash face) breeds need extra cooling because their airway is too short to cool the air for them. Weird, right? But that's one of the purposes of having a snout.

We have pasties in Michigan. Typically closer to the U.P.

Unless they're different than the ones you're talking about? They're basically like meat stew in a pastry pocket. No silverware required. The original Hot Pocket.

Not the original.

Every culture has some sort of filled dough.

So for about the past 3 weeks Matt has been warring with us. He is bad about doing his college homework and his grades are suffering so we took away his cell phone (it always comes down to playing games too much) and he has been a total A-hole. At present, things are back to normal. I keep telling him that this isn't the same as high school, but he doesn't get it. The work isn't too hard for him, he just knows what he can get away with. This all led to a discussion with my oldest brother, he had a period of 2 years where he and his son didn't speak while living in the same house, also his son's first 2 years of college. It eventually worked itself out and my nephew is a good hard working adult now.
What was interesting is that we decided it was more or less normal for some kids and that they were still using their adolescent brain which doesn't have to listen to reason. Tookta and I had wondered if making him get a job for a year and then going back to college later might be a good idea, my brother said that might be a bad move. He said it'd be easy for him to get used to a minimum wage job while still living with us and not having to pay for everything and in essence make him content to just get by. In the end we decided the best thing to do is just keep him in school until he grows up however financially painful that might be.

Are you paying for school?

Personally, if they aren't in school, they pay rent.

Actually, brachycephalic (smash face) breeds need extra cooling because their airway is too short to cool the air for them. Weird, right? But that's one of the purposes of having a snout.

Is that why it seems like bulldogs are alway panting?

I went back at 30 and it was pretty easy. At 18 I would have failed miserably.

At 30, the rest of the kids were stupid in my eyes. They had no idea about the world and how it worked. Their ideas were based on zero life experience.

Matt will figure it out. He sounds like a smart kid. I didn’t figure it out because I was working at a job that was more like a party. I was making good money and it was FUN. Turning 30 without having gone to school yet was the eye opener for me. I agree with now making him get a job. Honestly, that’s probably why it took me until 30.

Also, a college diploma ain't what it used to be. I'd rather see my kids go into a skilled trade these days.

I did the yard work for the family's rental properties as well as the stuff at home. Dad paid for the work done at the rentals, not for the stuff at home (that was chores, as it should be).

I loathe yardwork. Having ours done for us is one luxury I'm willing to pay for.

I'm leaving our fallen leaves on the yard this winter. Every time the snow melts I feel like a slob. There's definitely a sense of social pressure to "clean it up".

Today I'm going to go through the stuff my great uncle left me. I think he kept a journal of his time is Saipan and Burma.

So much stuff that generation wouldn't talk about. I think I've learned more about my family through documentaries and research than I did by them telling me.

They spared us what they went through, but they also left a void in their legacy.

I haven't been to a club in a long time. But when I was 21 I used to have a buddy that Used to take me. He would have stacks of cash we would go thru. Once we styaued for 8 hrs.....crazy day that was.

Back when we were dating, hubby's baseball team was sponsored by the local strip club. They always had to "take the trophy to the sponsor" so they spent a lot of time there. Half the guys were dating strippers. It was definitely a party team.

They got 2nd in the state, though. That was a fun year.

They have been talking about it for quite a while. I thought it had already happened.

Voting to do something, and then figuring out HOW to do it, are two very different things.

Like, weed is legal now, but I can't just walk into the dispensary down the street. They need 2 more years to figure it out.

Not the original.

Every culture has some sort of filled dough.

True. Even empanadas. Might be fun to do a world tour eating just filled dough items. You know, if I wasn't allergic to every single one of them.

Is that why it seems like bulldogs are alway panting?

I believe so. They overheat very easily. Low stamina. Very typical to have apnea and heart problems. It's really sad.

Dobby's a sweet boy, trapped in a horribly designed body.

Plus he pees on things. So, that bit of "I hate him", he earned.

Caught up. About to leave for NJ. Out of phone data, so I'll see you on the other side. Happy "they didn't let us starve, and boy do they regret it now" day!

Also, a college diploma ain't what it used to be. I'd rather see my kids go into a skilled trade these days.

I have mixed feelings about this. Both still require that you elevate to the top to make a really good living but I feel like a diploma gives you a better start.

I have a friend that balances drive shafts for cars. He's one of only a few that do this and he makes boatloads of money. But to me, those types of jobs are like winning the lottery Nobody ever got rich from laying carpet. My dad did well as a machinist, but he was at the top in this area. If you talk to any old-time machinists, they know my dad's name and respect his work. The days of being comfortable working in a grocery store are gone.

I see kids every day thinking they're going to learn to cook and make millions and be famous. The reality is that they'll probably make $40K a year in an area you need to make 4X that to afford a mortgage. It's like Pretty Woman. They believe the millionaire will marry the hooker.

Trades are gaining value again though. We've pushed education so hard for so long that the trades are suffering. Plus they're changing. You have to train for a job that isn't invented yet.

Top Bottom