::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

IKEA provides one with the item purchased that requires one for assembly.

I've never gotten a Posidriv screwdriver with IKEA stuff. They supply enough hex wrenches to build a battleship, but I've never gotten a screwdriver with anything.

I've never gotten a Posidriv screwdriver with IKEA stuff. They supply enough hex wrenches to build a battleship, but I've never gotten a screwdriver with anything.

So you didn’t get the correct tools with the wardrobe purchase? I was assuming a Posidriv whatamacallit was just a bunker name for a Allen wrench. I really wasn’t reading all the details...

Tip for the day...

If you are assembling flat pack furniture such as IKEA, or installing European concealed cabinet hinges, check the wood screws to make sure if they are Pozidriv heads, or Philips heads.

Almost all IKEA furniture requires a Pozidriv screwdriver.

Pozidriv screws have four little lines inscribed on the head - one line between each slot of the Philips looking slots.

The Pozidriv screwdriver has four additional little blades that grip these four lines, in addition to the four Philips blades.

If you use a Philips head screwdriver on Pozidriv screws the screwdriver can’t get a full and tight grip, and it will slip out before the screw has been fully tightened and snugged down.

I didn't know that. I've always used Phillips bits on IKEA furniture, and have never had problems....

So you didn’t get the correct tools with the wardrobe purchase? I was assuming a Posidriv whatamacallit was just a bunker name for a Allen wrench. I really wasn’t reading all the details...

No, IKEA doesn't provide all the correct tools. The Posidriv is a type of screwdriver head. It's the norm in Europe, but not here in the US. For some reason IKEA does not supply them.
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/09/16/what-is-the-difference-screw-bits-phillips-vs-pozidriv

So for about the past 3 weeks Matt has been warring with us. He is bad about doing his college homework and his grades are suffering so we took away his cell phone (it always comes down to playing games too much) and he has been a total A-hole. At present, things are back to normal. I keep telling him that this isn't the same as high school, but he doesn't get it. The work isn't too hard for him, he just knows what he can get away with. This all led to a discussion with my oldest brother, he had a period of 2 years where he and his son didn't speak while living in the same house, also his son's first 2 years of college. It eventually worked itself out and my nephew is a good hard working adult now.
What was interesting is that we decided it was more or less normal for some kids and that they were still using their adolescent brain which doesn't have to listen to reason. Tookta and I had wondered if making him get a job for a year and then going back to college later might be a good idea, my brother said that might be a bad move. He said it'd be easy for him to get used to a minimum wage job while still living with us and not having to pay for everything and in essence make him content to just get by. In the end we decided the best thing to do is just keep him in school until he grows up however financially painful that might be.

So for about the past 3 weeks Matt has been warring with us. He is bad about doing his college homework and his grades are suffering so we took away his cell phone (it always comes down to playing games too much) and he has been a total A-hole. At present, things are back to normal. I keep telling him that this isn't the same as high school, but he doesn't get it. The work isn't too hard for him, he just knows what he can get away with. This all led to a discussion with my oldest brother, he had a period of 2 years where he and his son didn't speak while living in the same house, also his son's first 2 years of college. It eventually worked itself out and my nephew is a good hard working adult now.
What was interesting is that we decided it was more or less normal for some kids and that they were still using their adolescent brain which doesn't have to listen to reason. Tookta and I had wondered if making him get a job for a year and then going back to college later might be a good idea, my brother said that might be a bad move. He said it'd be easy for him to get used to a minimum wage job while still living with us and not having to pay for everything and in essence make him content to just get by. In the end we decided the best thing to do is just keep him in school until he grows up however financially painful that might be.

I don’t know if I argued with my parents all that much but it did take me until I was about 30 to really grow up.

Sorry

That's a drag about Matt.
College was a rude awakening for me
I was a smart kid, high school, even AP classes, were easy for me.
I got my first C in college and that was only because I was not putting in the amount of effort required.
PoHoMoJo to Matt that he figures it out.

My BIL's family has a Maltese. It's a nasty little thing.

I’ve never had a dog of my own but my favorite dog is my aunt’s pit bull. That thing is strong as hell and stupid friendly. You can’t not pet it. It will worm its snout between your arm and body and force its way under your arm. One time it knocked me down like I was nothing. I was standing in the doorway when it wanted to got out in the backyard and it just plowed me over going after a squirrel. My dad joked that I dragged three kids into the end zone playing football but got taken out like rag doll by the dog.

I think you made the right call. Taking time off of school just makes it harder to go back, for some young folks....

That's a drag about Matt.
College was a rude awakening for me
I was a smart kid, high school, even AP classes, were easy for me.
I got my first C in college and that was only because I was not putting in the amount of effort required.
PoHoMoJo to Matt that he figures it out.

I went back at 30 and it was pretty easy. At 18 I would have failed miserably.

At 30, the rest of the kids were stupid in my eyes. They had no idea about the world and how it worked. Their ideas were based on zero life experience.

Matt will figure it out. He sounds like a smart kid. I didn’t figure it out because I was working at a job that was more like a party. I was making good money and it was FUN. Turning 30 without having gone to school yet was the eye opener for me. I agree with now making him get a job. Honestly, that’s probably why it took me until 30.

I think you made the right call. Taking time off of school just makes it harder to go back, for some young folks....

I wish I'd taken some time first to experience the real world and maybe get a feel for what I was really interested in. I went straight to college because it was expected of me (by peers and parents and siblings alike). I think I would have arrived where I am with schooling and all that 20 years earlier if I'd gotten some grounding in the real world and had a focus on what college would do for me. We're all different, of course, and each kid has to be figured out based on their own merits. Good luck to Mike - Matt was so easy when younger, I guess maybe he's just getting that pent-up rebellious stuff out of his system?

Mike, you know all the struggles we had with Michael before he actually grew up at 23. And there’s no guarantee when he gets out of the Army he won’t again struggle with adulthood.

My only advice is to stay patient and hold your ground.

My folks charged us rent if we dropped out of school. I’ve done that with my kids. I think it helps establish good habits.

I wish I'd taken some time first to experience the real world and maybe get a feel for what I was really interested in. I went straight to college because it was expected of me (by peers and parents and siblings alike). I think I would have arrived where I am with schooling and all that 20 years earlier if I'd gotten some grounding in the real world and had a focus on what college would do for me. We're all different, of course, and each kid has to be figured out based on their own merits. Good luck to Mike - Matt was so easy when younger, I guess maybe he's just getting that pent-up rebellious stuff out of his system?

I went to work right away out of high school . . . for my dad. He eventually saw how miserable I was working an end mill in his machine shop that he told me to go find something I enjoyed. Restaurants are where I ended up. Everyone you work with is roughly the same age and it's a lot of fun. A great experience but you'll always struggle paycheck to paycheck working restaurants. Only the owner makes money and even that is pretty hard to do.

I started a paper route in 4th grade and had jobs all the way into college. I thought I had a pretty good idea what it took to get along in life. I'm glad I bulled it straight through. For B V-B I have to say just the opposite. For him to have started college out of high school wuld have been time and money down the rat hole. He seems to have turned a corner and is laying down a foundation which can lead to success now. I'm glad for him daily and cautiously hopeful about his future.

With any child I think that there's only one rule: YMMV.

I went to work right away out of high school . . . for my dad. He eventually saw how miserable I was working an end mill in his machine shop that he told me to go find something I enjoyed. Restaurants are where I ended up. Everyone you work with is roughly the same age and it's a lot of fun. A great experience but you'll always struggle paycheck to paycheck working restaurants. Only the owner makes money and even that is pretty hard to do.

This is funny. I would have loved the chance to learn how to operate the machines in a machine shop such as you had.

On the other hand, as an adult I strongly dislike yard work. As a kid I cut and edged several yards in addition to doing a paper route. So to me yard work is simply work. There is nothing relaxing about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom