::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

We don’t do parade or football, so I’m using this time to get some long overdue reorganizing and cleaning done.

This is what I am supposed to be doing today.
We have houseguests coming in 21 days.
I have been tasked with cleaning all exterior Windows, "my" spare room (aka the music room) and "my" bathroom, new toilet seat, thorough shower scub etc.
Also keeping the front and backyards immaculate.

I'm starting Saturday :)

Well, it sure is nice to be home! After more than a month in Tampa, we're finally back at our apartment. We'll make many more trips to the hospital, beginning on Monday, but we should be able to return home each night....

Elaine made us a nice turkey dinner, and we ate around 2:30. Then we had cold turkey sandwiches (the best part!) at 7:30....

Elaine made us a nice turkey dinner, and we ate around 2:30. Then we had cold turkey sandwiches (the best part!) at 7:30....

So glad you were able to be home for the holiday and have a good meal.
We also had a wonderful family gathering with way too much excellent food. Time to bundle up with a comfy quilt on the couch and veg in front of the t.v.
Am hoping that things keep moving in a positive direction for you!!!

Well, it sure is nice to be home! After more than a month in Tampa, we're finally back at our apartment. We'll make many more trips to the hospital, beginning on Monday, but we should be able to return home each night....

The Mailman delivers again! Wonderful news.

Cut my finger yesterday washing a potato peeler.

Really dumb.

A butterfly bandage, finger band aide, flexible tape to keep the band aide in place, and a finger cot and I was able to power through and make a bunch of stuff.

Last year my dad was saying how much he missed grandmas mashed potatoes and even asked if I ever made those with her (I used to regularly visit to cook with my grandma). I didn’t, we always made the “family secret” Japanese food dishes.

This year I made it my mission to to figure it out. I went to my classroom where I had the use of multiple stoves,pots,pans and supplies. My third variation was the winner. My youngest sister actually shed a couple tears when she took a bite. The memories of grandma came flooding back to her.

Our kids thought it taste good and ate quite a bit, but the adults ate a ton. My BIL only ate mashed potatoes and gravy. A ridiculously huge bowl.

The best part was everyone sharing memories of grandma.

I boiled the potatoes in chicken stock. Used a crap ton of butter and thinned them out with heavy cream and a bit of stock.

You can probably get the same taste by adding stock to thin but that didn’t occur to me until afterwards.

I remember she used to always have multiple qt size cans of chicken stock open and thinking about it yesterday I knew it was too much for gravy or anything else so I boiled the potatoes in it. Gave it a definite depth of flavor and a poultry flavor profile. And I knew she always used a ton of butter and heavy cream if it normally called for milk.

I guess when you farm you don’t have to worry about eating too many calories:eek:

My finger probably needed a stitch or two, but I didn’t have time to have it checked.

Went to the local CVS with my finger wrapped in a dish cloth and all bloody. Got some bandages and went back to school. I think the butterfly bandages will do the trick. I cleaned the cut and put on a ton of neosporen. I did the same with other cuts before and they healed fine.

Being on blood thinners for my heart sure made for a lot of blood though.

Also made two pans of brownies from scratch.
Two dozen cheesecake egg rolls.
Granda’s Creamed Brussels sprout.
My own sautéed shaved Brussels sprouts.
A little healthier version of green bean casserole (didn’t use any processed foods)
I tried to make collard greens with kale but it came out nasty so it didn’t make the cut.

When I got to my sisters my dad had all the ingredients to make some sushi so I got put to work for much of the night as well. None of my nieces and nephew were born when I was a sushi chef so they were pretty amazed. It was funny.

“This tastes real”

That was my entire day. Sorry I didn’t drop in to say hi.

Hope everyone had a wonderful time with family and friends.

Feel better Jon.

Top Bottom