Page 2491 of 2589 FirstFirst ... 149119912391244124812489249024912492249325012541 ... LastLast
Results 24,901 to 24,910 of 25883

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

For those who don't know tons about bowling...
    A bowling lane has oil on it except for the last couple of feet before the pins. So if you toss a ball down the lane it kinda slides along in a straight line regardless of any spin you impart to the ball, except for right in front of the pins, where the ball can grab some traction.
    The rental balls are all plastic balls, and if you give them spin they still do not react too much, as they are not that "grippy" but a urethane ball is what the pros use. The coating is kind of like a skateboard wheel. So the idea is you Chuck the ball down the lane, and if you are right-handed, you impart a crapton of counter-clockwise spin on the ball when you release it. You try to aim for the extreme right edge of the lane. When the skateboard wheel hits the part of the lane without the oil, it accelerates to the left and plows in to all the pins, which is how you get all that pin energy to knock them all down.

I know *how* to do it, but lack the skill.

So I just use my plastic ball and chuck it as hard as I can
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I can chuck a lovely hook if I don't use the thumb hole, but bowling kills my catchy right shoulder any more so I don't do it.

I'm also not good at it. The lovely hook is an "I can do it" not an "I do it with regularity" thing.
    Yeah, sometimes I like to grab those 8-10lb balls and do the hook just palming them.
    It is funny to see a lightweight ball motor around and knock down all the pins. Sometimes.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    I used to bowl quite a bit.
    My best game ever is a 231, done with a plastic ball just chucking it straight down the lane.
    I never got "good enough" to use the urethane ball and toss the hook.

All that being said, the last time I bowled (probably about a year ago) I struggled to hit 150.
    in HS I bowled on a league with my family every sunday night. you were also able to smoke in the alley then....I had 2 balls........

one my strike ball and the second a slicker version for spares

"And I play dress up every Sunday and try to make the case for an invisible friend" PereBourik

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    Yeah, sometimes I like to grab those 8-10lb balls and do the hook just palming them.
    It is funny to see a lightweight ball motor around and knock down all the pins. Sometimes.
    on tv now I feel like some pros use no holes and just spin the hell out of it.....weird

"And I play dress up every Sunday and try to make the case for an invisible friend" PereBourik

Did any of you bowlers ever do candlestick bowling? Or was that a regional thing in the northeast?
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

I bowled quite a bit as a kid, but was average, at best. For me, it was a social thing, not a competitive thing....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    I bowled quite a bit as a kid, but was average, at best. For me, it was a social thing, not a competitive thing....
    Urethane balls went out about 25 years ago. About when I hung it up to go back to college. The new balls are made of reactive resin which came out the last year I bowled. They hook so much people have dropped down to 12-14 lb balls to generate more speed.

Candlestick bowling is regional.

I bowled a handful of qualifiers in the early 90's. Made the cut in three out of five but never made the finals. My last league average was 218 back in '93 I only have three perfect games but they were a lot harder back then. Even harder when my grandfather shot one in the '50's. It was such a big deal then, he got 10K, a 300 ring, endorsements from Brunswick and a sponsorship from Falstaff. All I got for my first one was a ring and a bowling pin that said "300" on it.

I'm only the second best bowler in the family
    Last edited by gyosh; 01-14-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    Urethane balls went out about 25 years ago. About when I hung it up to go back to college. The new balls are made of reactive resin which came out the last year I bowled. They hook so much people have dropped down to 12-14 lb balls to generate more speed.

Candlestick bowling is regional.

I bowled a handful of qualifiers in the early 90's. Made the cut in three out of five but never made the finals. My last league average was 218 back in '93 I only have three perfect games but they were a lot harder back then. Even harder when my grandfather shot one in the '50's. It was such a big deal then, he got 10K, a 300 ring, endorsements from Brunswick and a sponsorship from Falstaff. All I got for my first one was a ring and a bowling pin that said "300" on it.

I'm only the second best bowler in the family
    My uncle had a prefact game almost had two. Made a seven ten also
    Youtube | Facebook http://twitter.com/#!/stephenUKE

Mainland red cedar tenor Gold Tone Concert Banjo . I am converting people to the ukulele one strum at a time

A very happy and healthy new day to all!
    Uke Players Do It With Four Strings.
    YouTube | Facebook
    ...I think life should be a musical... Tammy
    1:25367

Kind of gray and a bit gloomy this morning, no precipitation and above average temps. I don't know how long we are going to go this winter above the average temp. But every day that it's warmer, is one less day that it's colder.
    Last weekend, I believe, we got 4 inches of rain. Which is an enormous amount for an overnight. Actually it's more than a month's worth.
    Uke Players Do It With Four Strings.
    YouTube | Facebook
    ...I think life should be a musical... Tammy
    1:25367

Thread Information