Page 1942 of 2217 FirstFirst ... 942144218421892193219401941194219431944195219922042 ... LastLast
Results 19,411 to 19,420 of 22166

Thread: ::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

  1. #19411
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    It's a dry heat
    Posts
    16,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    That's cool.

    From what I know, the food truck scene is thriving in Portland. Down here it's a bunch of money grubbers trying to capitalize on the popularity. When it started, it was a way for chefs to get gourmet level food out to the people. Now the quality of the food in the San Jose area is watered down. You have to do your research into what truck is actually innovating and good.

    The first few "trucks" I heard about were in SF. "The Creme Brulee Guy" worked out of an old ice cream cart and started in the early days of Instagram. The same with "The Little Red Wagon" lady who sold ice-cream from an old Radio City Flyer wagon. She was the first to use hydrogen to make an instant ice cream. She is now "Smitten" ice cream and starting to franchise all over.

    I'd say now 90% of the trucks are just glorified roach coaches. There are few "gourmet" trucks these days in San Jose area.

    How are the wings?
    Moving to Phoenix I thought there'd be food trucks, taco trucks on every corner.

    Nope
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

    14:29044

  2. #19412
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    58,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Mmmm. . . coffee

    Time for another cup.
    The building's water is shut off right now. Leak in the basement, I guess. No coffee. I has a sad.
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

    We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

  3. #19413
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    6,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    Yay!

    I cook corn with the husk on now. When it's ready I cut off about 1/2" from the stem end and then squeeze the cob out from the other side. No "hairs'. I saw them do that at a farmer's market that sells roasted corn and I've been doing it ever since. No fuss.
    I’ll have to try that. I cook corn on the cob on the grill still in the husk. I think it’s the best way to enjoy it.
    ~Soo
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

  4. #19414
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ewa Beach, HI
    Posts
    25,824

    Default

    New tooth covering installed, now heading to Cathedral City to visit my mom.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

  5. #19415
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    6,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    That's cool.

    From what I know, the food truck scene is thriving in Portland. Down here it's a bunch of money grubbers trying to capitalize on the popularity. When it started, it was a way for chefs to get gourmet level food out to the people. Now the quality of the food in the San Jose area is watered down. You have to do your research into what truck is actually innovating and good.

    The first few "trucks" I heard about were in SF. "The Creme Brulee Guy" worked out of an old ice cream cart and started in the early days of Instagram. The same with "The Little Red Wagon" lady who sold ice-cream from an old Radio City Flyer wagon. She was the first to use hydrogen to make an instant ice cream. She is now "Smitten" ice cream and starting to franchise all over.

    I'd say now 90% of the trucks are just glorified roach coaches. There are few "gourmet" trucks these days in San Jose area.

    How are the wings?
    It can be hit or miss here too. Definitely have to do your homework to know which are good. Or see who has the longest lines.
    ~Soo
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

  6. #19416
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersister View Post
    For some reason that makes me feel a little better.

    I did end up going. Iíve been curious about what the womenís fire group is all about. Itís was basically an informal spiritual group to share deeply. The host was someone who I had met a handful of times, but didnít really know. Only one other person showed up, who I didnít know, but it turns out we have a mutual acquaintance. We had a nice intimate conversation. Iím glad I went.
    Iím almost always glad when I do go out but I rarely do or want to. I have missed many gatherings I regret but that fact hasnít changed my habit of being a homebody.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  7. #19417
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gyosh View Post
    Monterey is beautiful. If she likes seafood and pasta have her try out my cousin's restaurant. Monterey Fish House. It's really good and is a spot the locals don't talk about because there would be too many tourists .

    It's where I answered the phone to take a reservation and I thought it was a guy doing a Clint Eastwood imitation. Nope. He's a regular.
    I used to ship one of his ex-wives hams often. She still used his name.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  8. #19418
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I had that problem Saturday morning. My phone reminded me that I had a lunch with former coworkers but I wasn't feeling social AT ALL. Sheryl convinced me to go. It was a nice time with good friends.

    When Emma was little Sheryl would bake cookies for the current holiday and bring them to work and Emma would pass them out. One of my coworkers came to the lunch with all his empty cookie bags (can't believe he SAVED them!) and asked me to take them back to Emma for refills. She baked cookies yesterday and will be refilling the bags to deliver to Brent...
    That is adorable and so sweet on both their efforts.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  9. #19419
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigersister View Post
    I’ll have to try that. I cook corn on the cob on the grill still in the husk. I think it’s the best way to enjoy it.
    Do you all soak it first?
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

  10. #19420
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    54,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    New tooth covering installed, now heading to Cathedral City to visit my mom.

    She lives out there now? That’s a change from the coast.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •