Does your partner, husband, wife, significant other understand your uke obsession?

cyber3d

Reaction score
Maybe this should be a poll. I'm curious because my wife is on another planet when it comes to my uke obsession.

I'm sure there is a song in there somewhere. ��

Last edited:
Maybe this should be a poll. I'm curious because my wife is on another planet when it comes to my uke obsession.

I'm sure there is a strong in there somewhere. ��

Yup, mine too. She is glad I have a healthy hobby that keeps me outta the bars and brothels but has zero interest in any of it.

I started playing because my wife asked me to buy her a uke.

"Mid-Life Crisis" Whispered to friends?
I am single, but the situation is not confined to male spouses. Some of the ladies who play in our group have a husband who patiently looks after the children while Mum enjoys three hours of ukulele playing.

Good point, of the different uke jams that I attend there are more women then men. I know more than a few ladies who are as uke obsessed as us guys.

Good point, of the different uke jams that I attend there are more women then men. I know more than a few ladies who are as uke obsessed as us guys.

It’s not nice calling me out in public :eek:
My husband don’t care what I buy as long as I play them. His newest obsession is he buys a drone when I buy a uke.

Last edited:
Nobody understands it... but that's ok. They don't have to. Playing music (and ukuleles in particular) brings me great joy. Anyone who doesn't like that can stuff it.

I was once married to someone who didn't get it.
so I divorced her and married a fellow uke player. :)

Understand it? Does she bollocks!!
But then I don't understand her obsession with tv soaps, EastEnders etc, and that pox of a series Game of Thrones..... so I guess we both adjust and allow accordingly..

My wife has no interest at all in the Uke.

I don't know that the feelings I have for the ukulele would qualify as an obsession but I do love it and get a lot of joy out of it. My wife has spurned multiple offers to teach her the uke. She rolled her eyes when I got my 2nd and as far as I know, she doesn't even know about my 3rd or at least she hasn't said anything about it if she does. That's a pretty good indicator of how much she cares.

Yup, mine too. She is glad I have a healthy hobby that keeps me outta the bars and brothels but has zero interest in any of it.

I was going to say that my wife my occasionally roll her eyes, but there's a lot worse things I could do than have a uke collection.

Active enabler.

I was once married to someone who didn't get it.
so I divorced her and married a fellow uke player. :)

Tell it brother Jon -

That's the right way to do it.

I dont talk about ukulele to anyone else unless I already know that they play or want to play, otherwise I get laughed out of the room for it.

Talking about ukulele is like the 'First Rule of Fight Club' for me now...

Several of my ukes are Christmas/birthday gifts from my wife. She plays a little (piano's her favorite), but she's getting into other percussion instruments now. First, a cajon. Next will be cymbals and bells. I just bought a set of shaker eggs and a tambourine. I foresee a rub board, eventually. We'll spend our retirement busking. If we're ever able to retire.

We'll spend our retirement busking. If we're ever able to retire.

Probably not, as long as you keep on buying too many instruments of whichever kind... ;)

But I'm very much sitting in a glass house here. On a recent ukulele meeting I bought a 1940s Style 0 Martin and a custom built taro patch - made by a German luthier who specializes in ukuleles these days - the next day, for about 2000€ (both together, though...). Now, that I actually write it down, I feel the full craziness of this and I'm actually asking myself if my wife is right, when she says I'm a shopping maniac when it comes to ukes. From this, you can already guess how she feels about my hobby.
However, she owns a horse herself, which is in a stable nearby. For what she pays for it to be taken care of on a monthly rate, I could easily buy three taro patches this year alone. So we're more or less on the same level when it comes to the money spending aspect.
Technically we could try to combine both hobbies. We actually tried this already. However, her horse wasn't too impressed by my sitting on his back, strumming a cowboy song. At least, it didn't panic...! :D

My wife is not a musician, and has no interest in being one, but she is there for every gig I do. I'm good with that!

My husband has F&BGAS (fishing and boating gear acquisition syndrome). My UAS and CGAS (camping gear acquisition syndrome) are completely understood and our syndromes are supported by both of us.

Top Bottom