Does your partner, husband, wife, significant other understand your uke obsession?

No,

She don't get why I need 10 tenor ukulele,s. I mean whats wrong with her.
Apart from that she is perfect.

My soon-to-be-ex-wife could not have been less interested in my ukes or my music. I posted probably 200 videos for the Seasons, and as far as I know, she watched one.

I have recently met quite a wonderful woman who not only listens to my playing, and comments intelligently on it, but even told me "even if I did not like the music, I would like it because I know it means so much to you". Night and day. Lucky guy, me.

Being as my hubby has his own guitar obsession he perfectly understands my love affair with the ukulele. He’s delighted I’ve kept with it, and he plays it sometimes.

My wife plays piano (and has done since she was no age), used to play violin and is currently learning clarinet, so she understands my obsession! Every time we go into town, we walk past the music shop with a £5,000 grand piano that she says has her name on it, so we both understand the obsessions!

Ha ha ha. My wife and I are in a different universe when it comes to spending money. She loves to shop for shoes and will not pass up a sale of any type of clothes or shoes. However, when it comes to musical instruments she is like an ice cube ever time I even talk about buying another one. Her favorite saying, "Play the ones you have already." All the while we wade daily through her shoe store on our front screened pourch each time we go in and out. In Thailand shoes do not go in past the front door unless you want to fight with the lady of the house. Otherwise she is the perfect wife.

....However, when it comes to musical instruments she is like an ice cube ever time I even talk about buying another one. Her favorite saying, "Play the ones you have already."

Your favorite saying can become: "wear the ones you already have" :D

Not only does my husband think it's a complete waste of time for me to attempt to play the uke ... he insists on calling it a guitar!!!!

So my wife and I met through online dating on okCupid. My username was "ukulele_mook," and hers was "yarnmania." She has a closet of yarn to back up that username. And I have the 5 ukes to back mine up.

Since we both came into our relationship with such transparency, there hasn't been much of an issue. She's even acquired two ukuleles of her own, and just gave me an 8-string Kala for my birthday.

She doesn't understand why I need to buy a composite polycarbonite tenor to keep at the office, though. We're working on that.

So my wife and I met through online dating on okCupid. My username was "ukulele_mook," and hers was "yarnmania." She has a closet of yarn to back up that username. And I have the 5 ukes to back mine up.

Since we both came into our relationship with such transparency, there hasn't been much of an issue. She's even acquired two ukuleles of her own, and just gave me an 8-string Kala for my birthday.

She doesn't understand why I need to buy a composite polycarbonite tenor to keep at the office, though. We're working on that.

Seems you could just look her in the eye and say "Yarn" and that would end the conversation. :)

You'd think so, but a single skein of yarn is far cheaper than a decent ukulele. ;)

This is a bit off topic but for years now (YEARS) I've wondered how a yarn shop stays in business at Big Sky ski resort. The rent has to be sky high and there's almost no one there during the summer. Who takes a ski trip to buy yarn anyway? So, you're wife apparently isn't the only one out there.

I have to say my wife is extremely supportive and understanding. Of course, that puts the onus on me to try to restrain myself. I haven’t been very successful as you can see below. She has one of her own which she doesn’t get to play much and she likes going to ukefests and even likes listening to me 😱. We've even bought an Ohana sopranissimo for our 20 month-old granddaughter (she was 9 months when we bought it). Looking forward to teaching her.

Top Bottom