Season 328 - My three most favourite tunes.

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
Quick & easy week, this week - you can take a break from all those Marc songs :) - but you don't have too. ;)

Don't forget, there's still another day to post more songs for Lynda. :cool:

So this week, bring me your three most favourite tunes/songs that you like to play, & tell us why they are your favourites - that's it, simple.

Usual rules, midnight Hawaii time, etc, no prizes, just enjoy yourselves.

Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqjI5gC-IUKgsWv89ZMbhVLzx73lMYAki

This is going to be a fun week! Lot of repeats for me though because most of the songs I know how to play I only learnt for the seasons.

oh wow what a lovely early post, a real treat - i hardly had time to get all anticipated-up!!!!!

you can take a break from all those Marc songs :) - but you don't have too. ;)
lol!!!! yes i think we can safely say, at least one person won't be taking a holiday from marc!!!!

although having said that usual marc service will not be interrupted....................... my fave and usual thing to do, when i pick up a uke for a plink, if i'm not working on a cover for the seasons (and i like to try and always bring something new, a cover of a song i've never plinked before) is to pick a chord or two, and warble piffle over it, these things sometimes grow into full-blown homemade songs, and sometimes not.

so my questions to you are, just to be really irritating to the host ;) is/are, can we bring new homemade songlets? and if we don't tend to re-play songs, but always be working on something new, might that mean we could look for a new song from a favourite artist? which of course brings us back to usual marc service not being interrupted! :uhoh:

Agreed thanks for posting early! I like to have lots of time to think about these things :D

I don't really have 3 favourites, it's usually just the most recent song I've learnt or written.

But I'm very conscious that a friend of mine has pledged a solar lamp for every original song I write (up to 50) and I've been shirking that challenge for a while...
and unlike Pabrizzer's talent for songwriting, I'm dreadful at writing ad-hoc songs for themes

So I might just take this opportunity to turn some originals into solar lamps.

Elin

Thanks for the early post! I like having saturday to ponder and practice, so there is a chance to record something sunday. With busy weekdays, often the alternative is posting some time next weekend.
It is really tempting to pick three songs that I allready posted twice each for other seasons, since my favorite tunes to play are those I have allready learned... On the other hand, songs that I hade recorded recently are a bit boring to do again... And if I learn a new tune, it will instantly become my favorite!

so my questions to you are, just to be really irritating to the host ;)
Fancy that.......

can we bring new homemade songlets? and if we don't tend to re-play songs, but always be working on something new, might that mean we could look for a new song from a favourite artist? which of course brings us back to usual marc service not being interrupted! :uhoh:
New songs acceptable - as long as you tell us all why you like it - part of the challenge this week is telling us why they are your favourites. :)

Whilst I'm at it, for people like Bernie, you too can bring a new one, as long as you tell us 'why'. ;)

Oh, I have favorite songs, all right! At present, they number around 500 I think!

And, by the way, I would have prophesied this exact theme, had I been a bit earlier. Honest.

Terrific theme, Keith! I can't wait to hear other seasonistas' stories.

Keith this is a great theme. I'd bet that those of us that cant think of a fav right off will have it come sometime this week to our minds. I am at the cabin for the weekend and won't have time to play. Too much going on. So I will take this time to try and think and maybe, just maybe, I might find a minute. When I get home I will be taking care of little ones while their mom and dad are away until Saturday. My whole week will be full.

I can think of several favs from when mom, sister and I used to sing about 4 decades ago but I've done them all already for past seasons. Usually, my favorite song to play is the one I'm working on for the week. Wait, I just thought of one I think is fun but, I don't sit around playing it :/
We move on to fast to play around with anything other than the season's song ideas.......

I'm going to have to go with songs Id like to play but haven't yet :rolleyes:
If I find the time!
We will see :)

Oh, I have favorite songs, all right! At present, they number around 500 I think!

And, by the way, I would have prophesied this exact theme, had I been a bit earlier. Honest.

The easy part is playing them - the hard part is choosing them, I like to make some things difficult now & then! :D

I knew you'd guess it right this week - so I thought I'd give you a week off. ;)

Only one place to start for me and that is the reason I play music. The White Stripes. About 6 or 7 years ago I started really getting into their music after just being vaguely aware of them, and that made me want to pick up the guitar again after a couple years of not doing.

Before long 90% of what I played was White Stripes. And this was always one of my favourites. About time I gave it the uke treatment.

Keith this is a great theme. I'd bet that those of us that cant think of a fav right off will have it come sometime this week to our minds. I am at the cabin for the weekend and won't have time to play. Too much going on.........I'm going to have to go with songs Id like to play but haven't yet :rolleyes:
If I find the time!
We will see :)
I'm sure you have some favourites, Linda - maybe some of the ones you sing with the kids(?) - they only have to be your favourites, but do tell us why. :)

Going with the Aussie time advantage to get an early one in.It's 8 o clock Sunday night.Here's my first.Tom Waits "Christmas Card from a hooker in Minneapolis".
It has a cool almost lilting jazzy chord progression - F A7 Bb Bb9 for most of the verse with a tag at each end and my (Gm7)old man plays the (C7No.5)trombone and (Bb)works out at the (F)track)
Bb9 is 3243 in fretboard tab. A cool chord worth practicing if not already under your fingers.
C7No.5 is 3003.
The lyrics are very poignant with the sad reveal at the end.Also has a nice sense of time and place with references scattered throughout.
And written by a man in first person as a woman.One of the best examples since John Prine "was an old woman named after my mother"
Thanks for the fun theme Keith - should be exciting and varied.

Well I decided to sing my favourite song for THIS WEEK, a song by Scottish singer/songwriter Jim Horne.
It is what you do with the collection money that has been given to you to put in the collection plate
at Sunday School. Are the temptations of some bubbly gum or a sherbert dab too great?
What does your conscience tell you? When it comes to eating and drinking are we prisoners of our conscience?

Nice one Keith, the beauty and benefit of revisiting choons you've covered before is that you can always take something new from it. I'm always doing it and when you have the time to delve deep enough into the arrangement or piece you can find easier or different ways of playing it. I've rushed arrangements through before and found them difficult then after a bit of play through you can start seeing things much differently .........I.e that tricky fingerpicking where you're all fingers and thumb could actually be picked out on a Bm7 chord etc with much less effort. I think this is a great season for pausing for thought and having some fretboard adventure on songs that you love

Last edited:
I love the blues - 8, 10,12 bars - I never count them - but if I pick up a uke or a guitar that's what I'll play at some point.
They have a simple structure but are capable of infinite variation. And not too difficult to play and if you follow the formula great for adding your own lyrics.

paoriginal

Top Bottom