Season 328 - My three most favourite tunes.

Certainly one of my many favourite songs and I had a lot of fun working it up on my terrific little Bonanza soprano.
Thanks for hosting Keith and for commenting on the vids I brought along this week.

Since our host claims to be enjoying hearing me do not-country songs, here is another not-country song, although it well could be, since the theme is heard in a countless number of country songs........
I first heard Marillion in 1985 when I walked into Sundance Records in San Marcos, TX,......

Hey, I'm certainly not knocking Country, Alan, I like it, just that I was surprised that it was not your most favourite, since I've been a member here, you've mostly done Country/Western type songs. :)

This is one of my many, many favourites to play simply because its 5.30am, I've gotta walk the dog, load the van up with tools for work and I need my uke fix for the day and its an easy one to play in the time I've got !! ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure where or when I first heard this one, but I have never got tired of hearing it or playing it since. Anything with Ry Cooder & John Hiatt in the writing credits has got to be good. Playing it also gives me a chance to get my all-purpose tex-mex intro/outro/fill-in run as close to right as I can. One day I'll manage it at both ends of the song.

Summertime is one of my alltime favorite tunes because I love the summer,i love minor keys,and i love the minor blues structure of the song

Second song from me.

Introducing my new Blue Yeti USB microphone. I think it captures something that the Shure MV5 doesn't quite.

There is something about several Bacharach songs that seem to fit a ukulele well, I thinks this is an OK song for ukulele, and I like to sing it - The Look of Love.

I did this song once before in the Seasons, for SotU207. It is a long time ago, but it is still probably the first song I pick whenever I want to strum something with jazzy chords. Once you remember the chords, they are not that difficult, though there are quite a few of them, so it is a song which is rewarding to play if you want to check the jazz chords box without too much effort.
And it is also one my wife is tired of listening to ;-)

Will ye go Lassie go???

Traditional folk song done for SOTU 328 Theme: Favourites
If you have ever gone to a folk club then at sometime in the evening there will be a sing a long and most likely it will be this song. There is something super fine about people singing together, and this was my favourite song to sing with others. Especially if you are away from home and longing to be with friends and family.... Ah but Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Hi everyone.
I have been travelling these last 10 days and have not had a chance to record things. I had time today so here is a hip hop song that reminds me of being between an adult and teenager in ag3 and just having fun with my friends.
I hope you enjoy

I must confess, I like the Grateful Dead. Not so much those never-ending improvisations, but folk-oriented albums such as Workingman's Dead or American Beauty. On the latter, I made my first aquaintance with the mandolin, David Grisman played on two songs. One of them is called Ripple and I really like this simple little tune.

Having a Scots mother and an English father, I've chosen an Irish song as my first one (logical? yes!). This was very popular back in the 60s but it got overplayed and people stopped playing it for a long time. I still like it after all these years and it's a great song for joining in the chorus. Thin Lizzy popularised it with a wider audience. Here it is as I used to remember it.

A quick one minute blast of La Vie En Rose...…………...Reason …...'Cos I like it ;)

I've always loved Tom's music and so did Marion who gave birth to my son in 1992. On our first date we 'd been to the cinema and watched "Down by law" starring Tom Waits. it was the first Tom Waits song we had ever sung together

Hey, I'm certainly not knocking Country, Alan, I like it, just that I was surprised that it was not your most favourite, since I've been a member here, you've mostly done Country/Western type songs. :)

Well, that's because I'm very familiar with the genre and many of them are easy to just strum along and sing. At heart, I'm a synthesizer-loving prog-rocker, lol.

Last year, I made a resolution to write a song a week for the next 52 weeks. This is my 52nd song.

My father died on my 20th birthday, and this year he’s been out of my life longer than he was here.

When Ben Nichols puts his mind to it that guy can really write a song- this is an old Lucero tune I love to play. Couple of flubs in there...still acclimating to the 84 degrees we got going in the living room right now. Ugh. Anyway- been on my mind on account of Memorial Day and all.

Last edited:
Here is a rough quick one take for the quick drop off. This is one I've been playing since pabrizzers outdoor week. I was going to do it when I had irrigation water but I didn't have time. Been playing it ever since. I love anything Eva Cassidy and this recording is a great one. In fact you should skip mine and go straight to listen to hers.

Forgot to say why I like this song. I love a lot of traditionals, gospels and especially the songs that came from the African American Spirituals.

Last edited:
My second tune, Blackbird by the Beatles. I've done it here before, right after my aunt passed away. A lot has happened since then, to include us adopting her granddaughter that she had custody of when she passed.

This song reminds me of the pain of her loss, but also the joy of adding to our family.

Top Bottom