Season 328 - My three most favourite tunes.

Nice one Keith, the beauty and benefit of revisiting choons you've covered before is that you can always take something new from it. I'm always doing it and when you have the time to delve deep enough into the arrangement or piece you can find easier or different ways of playing it. I've rushed arrangements through before and found them difficult then after a bit of play through you can start seeing things much differently .........I.e that tricky fingerpicking where you're all fingers and thumb could actually be picked out on a Bm7 chord etc with much less effort. I think this is a great season for pausing for thought and having some fretboard adventure on songs you love

������

Definitely gonna be trying to freshen up a couple of my staples this week.

OK, first up it's this one from Nick Lowe, which I think have done twice before on the Seasons. It's (probably) the song I have played to myself the most, and I never tire of running through it. It's not so much written, as carved from a solid lump of life, and I can see the scene in every line.

I might surprise you all that my 3 favorite songs to play are by U2 ;). One reason I play them a lot is because I know them by heart. But that is certainly not the only reason. This is called One, and I think it has a great message. I used the setup I use with the band at smaller gigs. Which is my Epiphone Les Paul Uke -> Zoom B3 Effects Pedal (I got it for Bass, but it works equally well for uke) -> Ibanze Acoustic Amp. Microphone -> TC Helicon Mic Mechanic -> Same Ibanez Acoustic Amp.

Last edited:
This is the second U2 song, this is called Red Flag Day, a catchy tune with a deeper message. This is about refugees trying to flee across the water on days you should definitely not.

And my last one, is another U2 song I like a lot (and play a lot), which talks about politicians doing bad things and not loosing sleep over it. This is called Sleep like a baby tonight.

For once I am likely to do more than one song in the same week, since favorite songs are likely to be some I allready practiced :)

My first contribution I will do one that I allready did twice for the seasons, but last time was almost two years ago. I really like it for a number of reasons. It has a light mood that goes well with ukulele, a mellow instrumental part that translates well to the ukulele, and it has summer-feelgood-lyrics that will be suitable at bonfires etc.

It must be a favorite, since I still regularly practice it though I have not performed it anywhere since last SotU appearance in 2016. Also, when I asked my wife which of my go-to songs she though I should do, she said that she was sick and tired of me always playing this one. That is how I knew it had to be re-done!

My next entry will probably be recorded after I recieve the new USB microphone I accidentially boguht online, so it might take a few days.
Perhaps it will pick up the overtones of the ukulele better :)

Never have tried to record this song before, but it's the one that always gets the most reaction when I do it around people, my little niece loves this song, and I enjoy performing it. This was my first time trying to record with an iPad mini 4 my wife gave me cause she bought it last fall and never used it. She and my dog were around during this recording, which added to the fun. This is lengthy though.

Hi friends, it’s been a while. We moved into a new house and that was crazy and then end of the school year pressures kept me really busy, but it’s sunmer now, and hopefully I can get back into a groove. Here’s a song from a band who was one of my favorites as a teenager. It’s not a mind blowing song or even a great song, but it’s one that I’ve always enjoyed playing because it’s fun.

Should probably guve fair warning that my favourite songs to play end up closer to five minutes than 3. In part because I like a longer song, in part because I'm having so much fun I don't wanna stop

Here's my second.A song long forgotten from my teenage years.I first came across it again on Richard G's uke site.I think Richard must be Australian cause he has some obscure old Ozzie songs amongst his goodies.It was by a poppy band called Autumn.But this was an out of character dramatic bit of folkiness.I just like it for no good reason-well it does have unrequited love, a painted giraffe, a tattooed lady from Spain and some high tragedy . .Song to Raymondo.

Last edited:
Hello from Bavaria,

As I promised Linda Louden, this is my first time to join you on SOTU.

The first song "Don't answer Me" was my first test in recording myself with my IPhone... Puh, it is really hard to stand to look at myself, I felt much younger before seeing the video :eek:ld: But I like the song, I reminds me of a time in the wonderful 80s...

The next one "I have a dream" is one of my favorites because of many reasons. It is from my favorite group ABBA, I am a dreamer too, I can play it with the easiest chords CFG :cool:

And the last one "Donna Donna" I love, because my husband loves when I'm singing this song, the song contents my nickname and sometimes I like to be a little melancholic...

Don't answer me

I have a dream

Donna Donna

I have literally thousands of favorite songs, and I did this one in the Seasons once before, but the reason I included it in my top three favorites is so often when I pick a random ukulele up, I start to automatically play this one, so it's obviously a special favorite of mine for whatever reason. I love this particular arrangement of this classic song, and I love the idea that there could be a place on earth like this, even though there's not. If there was though, would it be great or get boring and have its own set of problems?

I bought and played my first uke (sight unseen) nearly five years ago. I wanted to do something different, possibly creative, certainly a way to be more than a passive consumer of music.

So I went to the web after I got the Kala 8-string (I sold it to a guitar-playing friend who'd lost some dexterity due to cancer treatments; he's well, he loves playing it ... but I may have to get another one; I miss it), surfed the web, and found lots of tunes. This was one of the first I both enjoyed singing and could play somewhat competently. It's a go-to, even though the chord flubs may not make it seem that way. So here's No. 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom