Tahitian ukes

fmakalidude

Reaction score
Why do y'all think the Tahitian uke thing hasn't caught on? It's one of my favorite instruments but most haven't even heard of it.

Possibly its shape - less familiar and recognisable than the ukulele which people can relate to because of the guitar. Comes with 8 strings as standard which might intimidate newcomers. Also to be honest I think the sound is thin and not particularly pleasant.

I think it's an acquired taste, and takes some tome to get used to the sound. Living in the polynesia since 2007, i started playing hawaiian uke around 2009 and tahitian uke around 2010.

In terms of playability it's absolutely the same as hawaiian ukulele. left hand uses same fingering as ukulele to do the chords, right hand uses the same strums.
If you want that super fast sound, then use a pick (soft .40) and relax the wrist.

I'm super fan of both, Tahitian and Hawaiian ukulele. And soon to record an album, using both hawaiian and tahitian ukulele, guitar and lap steel.

what really inspired me to learn tahitian uke was hear Te Ava Piti.
If anyone wnts to hear a good player, listen to the late Vehiatua Paraue, playing with Te Ava Piti, he makes it really sing.

Took me like 6 months to learn all the songs in one album, with arrangements, fill ins, intros, etc. was a hard job but very rewarding. My playing improved a lot in this last year playing like his majesty Vehiatua Paraue. Sometimes it took me like 2 weeks to learn 10 secs of his soloing/playing.

(hope my english is not so bad)

Iorana

I think it's an acquired taste, and takes some tome to get used to the sound. Living in the polynesia since 2007, i started playing hawaiian uke around 2009 and tahitian uke around 2010.

In terms of playability it's absolutely the same as hawaiian ukulele. left hand uses same fingering as ukulele to do the chords, right hand uses the same strums.
If you want that super fast sound, then use a pick (soft .40) and relax the wrist.

I'm super fan of both, Tahitian and Hawaiian ukulele. And soon to record an album, using both hawaiian and tahitian ukulele, guitar and lap steel.

If anyone wnts to hear a good player, listen to the late Vehiatua Paraue, playing with Te Ava Piti, he makes it really sing.

Took me like 6 months to learn all the songs in one album, with arrangements, fill ins, intros, etc. was a hard job but very rewarding. My playing improved a lot in this last year playing like his majesty Vehiatua Paraue. Sometimes it took me like 2 weeks to learn 10 secs of his soloing/playing.

Iorana

Iorana

Your English is fine. Your comments came across very well.

I agree. If I was around it a lot and saw people perform using the Tahitian ukulele, I'd probably begin to notice the nuances and syles being used. And get into it more.

Right now, I'm concentrating my efforts to learn Hawaiian ukulele. So a different instrument type isn't something I want to take on.

I love my Tahitian and would play it more if the strings didn't break so often, especially those Es.

I like mine for it's more mandolin-like sound. I can actually hear it through the 15-20 ukes in club. Mine only has 4 strings, though, so easier to tune up.

Top Bottom