FS Luis Feu de Mesquita Cedar/Rosewood Tenor w/ cutaway & pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
For sale is a Luis Feu de Mesquita Cedar/Rosewood Tenor w/ cutaway & pickup. Western red cedar top with East Indian rosewood back & sides. Curly maple binding top & back. Sounds amazing. Gloss finish. Fishman PRO-AG0-UKE pickup.

I'm sure most already know of Luis Feu de Mesquita (LFdM) ukuleles so I don't need to say much about how outstanding this uke is. This tenor delivers the sounds and looks. This style of build allows for a very lively, and very thin top. The lattice bracing keeps the top and the bridge together, very flat. This causes the entire soundboard to be pumped and move together from the edges. This has been thought to improve sustain.

Condition: Well loved. Some scratches due to the soft top...an area on the top and an area behind the bridge (see picture album). I am the second owner. When Luis made this uke in 2011, he put side position markers on the 9th and 14th instead of the 10th and 15th. The first owner had a luthier fill in the 9th and 14th markers and add a new marker at the 10th. Visible pores on the rosewood back glossy finish.

Love this uke, but continuing to downsize.

Specifications and special features of this tenor:
  • Built in 2011, in the style of Selmer-Maccaferri gypsy guitars (I am the 2nd owner).
  • Western red cedar top with beautiful color.
  • East Indian Rosewood back and sides.
  • Beautiful striped Western red cedar top, with excellent tone
  • Curly maple binding on the front and back
  • Ebony fretboard , Nut width 1.50”
  • Ebony bridge
  • Cutaway gypsy jazz style design
  • Slotted headstock with light weight Gotoh Tuning Keys
  • Spanish Cedar Neck with rosewood/walnut?
  • Bone Nut/Saddle
  • 17″ scale and are 38 mm at the nut.
  • Lattice bracing for strong project and resonance
  • Gloss finish
  • Currently strung with Oasis Bright Strings, Low G
  • Comes with a Uke Crazy hard case

Here’s a recent sound sample with Oasis Warm Strings in reentrant tuning:
https://app.box.com/s/uj80ewsldq08rojil5qtymf1rzd5gnkv

Many pictures of this tenor can be seen in this flickr album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmigKLgV

SOLD No CITES papers on the EI rosewood so can only ship within USA.

P1080843 , on Flickr
P1080844 , on Flickr
P1080846 , on Flickr
P1080839 , on Flickr

Last edited:
This won't last long. Being a LfdM owner and a friend with Hodge we have talked about this particular instrument. He really thinks very highly of the sound and has kept this in his stable while other much more expensive customs were sold. Luis has changed the headstock and neck size over the years but the body and bracing remain the same and so does the exemplary sound.

Best of luck Hodge......but you won't need it at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom