What is the most desirable uke on re-sale market

SoloRule

Reaction score
I have seen ukes in the $1,000 plus price range sold within the hours from posting . Some simply took a much longer time and a ton of patience .

I am just curious base on what you have seen on UU marketplace, what brand of uke (brand and size) are the quickest to sell ...or I should say the most appealing to buyers!

Last edited:
Certain builders do seem to have a "mystique" about them and their ukes get snapped up quickly - Moore, Lfdm, Ono, Timms to name a few.

I've seen some really good ones linger for a while in the Market Place, case in point; I bought a Godin Multiuke last year for $400 (normally $650 to $750) that was bumped a number of times, jumped on it at the time because the day before, I missed out on an Ovation tenor cutaway eBay auction that I didn't do the Buy Now for $400. Was not at all thinking about a Godin, but boy am I glad I didn't get the Ovation, the Godin is much better.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
It is also the case of the instrument finding the right buyer. I have seen some instruments that get snapped up, while the same instrument at a different time takes a while before it is sold.

Certain builders do seem to have a "mystique" about them and their ukes get snapped up quickly - Moore, Lfdm, Ono, Timms to name a few.

I agree with Jim. The highly regarded custom ukes usually sell because they don't come up for sale very often and the buyer is saving money and time (one year wait for some) purchasing used.

I would also say Tenors would be the most desirable size and selling from brands Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a and Martin. Then anything from Collings will normally sell rather quickly. However, these brands will unexplainably not move quickly and linger for days/weeks before selling and then sometimes they will be gobbled up in a matter of hours.

My dad always said that if a house doesn’t sell, there’s only one thing wrong with it. The price.

I feel that underpriced ukuleles sell more quickly than overpriced ukuleles. There’s a general consensus/history of what ukuleles sell for and when the asking price is less than expected price, people buy. I also think the greater the saving, the quicker the sale. :)

That's like asking "What's the tastiest item on the menu?" when you're in a restaurant ... and the answer is "Whatever I fancy at the time and hold the garlic"!

If it's a quality uke at the right price, it will sell fairly quickly, of that I'm sure, but people have different ideas about both.

If someone is looking for that particular uke when it is put up for sale, it will also likely sell faster.

If there has been a spate of a particular uke in the market place lately, it will take a long time to sell, because those that were after one likely just bought one.

I'm selling a few at the moment and my experience is that, on these boards, brand name is the primary factor, followed by "is it a tenor?" My Pilgrim banjo uke didn't get any interest here but sold at the BIN on eBay two hours after I listed it. If it had been a Magic Fluke banjolele I suspect it would have sold here as they are one of the super popular UU brands.

Maybe this question deserves its own thread, but it seems that there are a lot of people who talk about the value of a ukulele based on resale. I mean, are they buying them with the intention of not keeping them? So I guess that I'm asking is if some people buy ukuleles primarily based on the rationalization that they can turn it over quickly if they see something else that they want?

Last edited:
Unlike ebay, high end ukes sell rather quickly here, while the less expensive common types don't. A $1,000 uke is obviously special, and people here like special. I have several basic ukes I'm going to put on ebay because they're not special enough for uke forums. They'll be gone in a week, and I'll have my money. The ukuleles I've bought from UU and Flea Market have been the special variety.

I agree Jerryc41. This is the place to sell high-end ukes.

Regarding resale, I’ve been very excited to buy a certain ukulele in the past. Only to find it was not what I had hoped. If I know going in, that I can resell it without losing my shirt, I’m more apt to buy.

According to two recent polls here, Koaloha and tenor are the two most popular items among members. I would think that a Koaloha tenor would sell quickly. Maybe I'll buy one and put it up for sale to see how quickly it sells. :eek:

I agree Jerryc41. This is the place to sell high-end ukes.

At the same time, there are plenty of people looking for instruments that are players or bargains. Some like the chance to just try a different instrument.

According to two recent polls here, Koaloha and tenor are the two most popular items among members. I would think that a Koaloha tenor would sell quickly. Maybe I'll buy one and put it up for sale to see how quickly it sells. :eek:

That’s too funny. I will keep my eyes on that sell

Obviously price is a major factor. A $20k Moore Bettah will just sit there but one at $2k would probably overload the message center.

Based on a fair price. I would think Blackbird, Hoffmann (Boat Paddle), Compass Rose, and G String would generate a lot of interest. I'm less enthusiastic about the K brands as they are pretty common and have seen a few a what I thought were decent prices not move.

As others have said, seller reputation plays into the equation. If the first post is selling a ukulele, I'm thinking twice... unless it is that $2k Moore Bettah, then I figure a way to pick it up personally... lol!

John

Top Bottom