Help needed for very stupid mistake.!!

Parto

Reaction score
So in my haste I attached my back without removing a clamp holding the soundboard down in my mold
20180529_142719.jpg

I managed to grind the head of the bolt off to remove the body from the mold but the wooden hold down is too big to fit through the sound hole.
20180529_191954.jpg

Any ideas how to cut it down into pieces small enough to fit through the sound hole? I'm thinking maybe dremel with a router bit but any advise welcome. I won't be making this mistake again that's for sure.!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking Dremel as well.. Maybe the "high-speed cutter" bit, or small router. Also maybe use angled needle-nose pliers or forceps to hold that piece steady.

Jigsaw with a fine scroll type blade? You might be able to clamp the caul (using small G clamps) to the underside of the soundhole. Then carefully nibble away at that clamping block keeping well away from the soundhole edges. Reposition and keep going at it.

Before doing anything, put it aside for a few days until the red tide of anger has ebbed.

Three options that I can see:
1. Use a flexible cable available for Dremels and drills and slowly work away at it until it surrenders
2. Tape one end of a hacksaw blade to form a handle and work away .......
3. Hold it by the neck and use it as a percussion instrument

Miguel

I have a pocket camping cable saw that could loop around it pull up and cut in half.
I would however try a bit on the contortional aspect first as there may be a particular angle of dangle that will allow one end to come out first with no further destructive measures required.
Before either of those measures a couple of layers of masking tape to prevent scratches on and around the edges of the sound hole sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advise. I have an oscillating saw and jigsaw so will see how much clearance there is and have a go.

So managed to get it out with only a bit of damage to the label twisting the piece out. The oscillating saw was the way to go, started with the jigsaw but too scary, saw felt relatively controlled.
20180531_195311.jpg

Top Bottom