Koaloha concert metallic sound

strings

Reaction score
Hi,

I need advice on a problem please. When I strum the C string when fretted, it produces a metallic vibration sound The action seems fine, and has been for years. I can't find any cracks on the body. The lable is glued on firmly, as is the bridge. When i gently shake the uke, I don't hear anything rattling around.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Bill

Only when fretted? This makes setup seem the culprit.

Although it seems fine, the action may be a bit too low. It can change over time. The neck can warp the tiniest amount and you get an offensive noise when fretting, while open strings may be fine.

Did you switch to a different kind of string? Lower tension can make this happen if your action is very low.

Yss, only when fretted, but the C string is the problem, and the others slightly, if at all.

How can i tell if the action is too low, or if there is a detectable neck warp?

Same strings, but as suggested, I will change them as soon as today.

I purchased the uke many years ago from Michael Aratani, Music Guy Mike. It's a Koaloha all koa concert built in Jan 1997, and i love it dearly. I really appreciate you guys helping me solve this issue.

I would assume your action is low. It's not at all uncommon to have one string worse than the others. You need to shim up the nut, or have someone do it for you.

Definitely start with the string change. Playing and just being under tension can leave irregularities in a string. How old are they and do you play often? Start with the easiest possibility.

No one has mentioned the fret, it could have loose slightly.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Thank you for the replies. The strings have been on for quite a while, but the uke has hardly been played.

I just changed the strings and unfortunately th C string still makes the same noise. It seems to come from the lower body. I shimmed up the bridge a bit, but that had no effect.

How snuggly should the saddle fit into the bridge when the strings are removed? I can easily slide it off.

Is it at a certain fret or all the fretw. You may have a high spot on one of the frets. Doesn't take much to make a buzz/ Also, are the tuners all tightly screwed on?

Is there a pick up? Sometimes the wires move around and can buzz. Also if string ends touching the top body near the bridge can cause buzzing. My tenor had a buzz and I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. One day I tapped the back up and down and heard a knocking sound in one spot. Turns out it was a loose brace. After it was repaired by Aaron Keim—no more buzz.

There is no pickup, and the string ends are out of the way. Tapping doesn't reveal signs of loose bracing.

I'm not sure how to find high spots on the frets. I'll check with a straight edge.

The tuners may be at fault. They are Grover Champion Deluxe friction tuners, probably 22 years old. Loosening the tension on the C tuner adjusting screw will change where on the fretboard the noise occurs most. Tightening the tension on the adjusting screw will result in the noise moving back the previously fretted note.

I hope I expressed this clearly.

thanks for all the help!

I took the uke to a luthier who has a shop in my area, and he wasn't sure what the problem might be. He thought frets 2 and 3 might be a little high, but was not convinced that they were the cause of the buzzing. He said they would be expensive to dress and might not solve the problem. There was no charge for his time.

I'm tempted treat the uke to an expensive Hawaiian vacation, and send it to Koaloha for repair.

My ukulele is on the way back from Hawaii:)
They adjusted the nut and problem solved. They also put on new strings. Griz, from the repair department was awesome, and they treated it as a warranty repair. Golden company.

If you tried all the suggestions we’ve been making you’d have a whole new ukulele by now and the problem would be solved!

I'm delighted you have had a good result, at last. That is very impressive service from KoAloha. You must be very pleased, indeed.

Enjoy!

John Colter.

Thanks John. I am very pleased and excited. Can't wait till it arrives.

Jeff: speaking of new ukuleles...:iwant: There's a Kiwayi, and a Pepe Romero Custom for sale here that are real temptations.

Top Bottom