Is Rick Turner still around the forum?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was wondering if Rick was still around? Being a hobbyist making Ukes several years ago, Rick was kinda rough on me, but, him being a re-known professional, I understood and respected why. Even though, I learned a lot from him conversing with him, and his posts and wondered if he was still around. I always wanted one of his Ukes, but could never afford to have one.

I've not seen him on UU in about 2.5 yrs.

There was some drama around that time, and he has not been back here.

Also, IIRC, he was having some issues in his personal life, but I dont remember what they were.

I agree that he often provided lots of great info, even if in a sort of gruff manner.

I concluded that he was likely a bit stressed by things outside UU, and while also losing patience with all the newbie questions about luthery and pickups, and kind of just moved on since he got tired of it all.

Rick got fed up with being asked to repeat himself and also like a few of us here, exasperated over requests for advice masquerading as desires for ratification. After a few years I think we just about covered everything there was to cover and if anyone still has questions a thorough search of this forum will generally yield the answer. I think is now functioning more as a beauty parlour rather than anything else and why not. When you have said it all why say it again?

I met with Rick in Santa Cruz in 2016. Still full of opinions, interesting, generous and kind to me. Ought to have retired but either can't or just doesn't want to.

He stormed outta here one day after he had taken his wrath out on me, and a few others, for disagreeing with him.
I think he was spring loaded in the pissed off position.

I just spent 4 days in a booth next to Rick's where he was doing repairs at the Strawberry Music Festival.
Rick is a really good guy and is more than willing to impart his considerable knowledge to durn near anybody. It would be my guess that he has been repairing and building instruments for over 50 years.
Just something to keep in mind

I didn't know him but came in because the name was familiar. Anyone know if he lived in Chico, CA. Just curious.
For Pete above. We have the same problem on MopedArmy with noob mechanics asking to be spoon fed. We finally put a wiki in.
As a newcomer here, I'll tell you I've had a hard time finding things sometimes. I've asked a few questions about really basic music theory that I couldn't find and had people go off onto really complex stuff I didn't have a clue about. There's one good thread about music theory for noobs, but I had a few other questions I couldn't find. Did finally find answers but it took writing PMs to a couple of people.

Yeah, he had a rep for being somewhat of a curmudgeon but hey if you ignore sage advice I feel that is a bit deserved.
I have corresponded with him via email last year with some questions about a specific Compass Rose ukulele that now belongs to me, and he was very kind and forthcoming.

I have corresponded with him via email last year with some questions about a specific Compass Rose ukulele that now belongs to me, and he was very kind and forthcoming.

You must be the person who ended up with the Rosewood 5-string Compass Rose! Gary Yoshida and I spoke about that uke - when I played it (as a newbie), I just didn't like it. The next time I played one of Rick's Ukes, I was blown away. I asked Rick what had changed - the construction of the uke, or the person playing it. He told me that in those two years, my playing had changed (he'd seen a couple of videos), and that was likely where the difference was. Of course, by that time, the uke was no longer at the music store...

I've bumped into Rick a few times in the past several years, and have always found him a gentleman, courteous, generous with his time, and with his knowledge. A Compass Rose is till on my "Maybe, some day" list.

-Kurt​

Sadly today everyone is an expert. Rick no longer feels his expertise is valued and I chose very sparingly to comment here knowing full well my advice is often ignored. Just to blow my trumpet a bit here is a recent comment from a client in the Montana.

Everyone at the music store LOVED your ukulele. They thought it sounded better than anything they have ever heard and the owned (owner) was going to write down how you had the strings tuned as he just thought they sounded so great!

Thanks again for my fantastic new ukulele.

Words cannot begin to explain how much I love it!

It's not participating here that gives me a buzz any more; it's knowing I can still cut it in the building community.

Don't get me wrong - I read most posts hoping to get new information, waiting to be surprised. This is a lifelong learning activity. When it happens I am very grateful to have waded through the swamp to get to the treasure.

# Sadly today everyone is an expert.
# Rick no longer feels his expertise is valued and I chose very sparingly to comment here knowing full well my advice is often ignored.
# Don't get me wrong - I read most posts hoping to get new information, waiting to be surprised. This is a lifelong learning activity. When it happens I am very grateful to have waded through the swamp to get to the treasure.

# I haven’t found everyone here to be an expert Luthier but I have found value or assistance in comments from people who are either experts in other fields or just on the learning journey. Sometimes, it seems very occasionally to me, information offered isn’t correct but that’s not an issue to me - verify everything that you are told.
# As business men do you really have the time to comment much here. Regardless of whether it’s directed towards me or someone else I’m always glad to read what the Luthiers say, but to expect everyone hearing your comments to accept them isn’t wise ‘cause human nature doesn’t work that way (that’s something that I’ve learn from dealing with teenagers in general and my own children).
# I try to read a wide variety of posts here including some that don’t look like they will be of interest. Education, or learning, has often come to me from the threads that don’t look like they match my interests. It is a bog to wade through and the returns do diminish with time.

It’s the nature of these (types of) forums that the same (or very similar) question will be asked and answered many times over the years. Sometimes a search will answer your question and sometimes it will not, not everyone is good with search engines and not everyone selects the correct keywords to enter into their search.

Last edited:
Well damn. Whatever the reason, it is a shame because love him or hate him, he is a very valuable resource. And actually a legend really in the building world. He was tough on me like I mentioned, but I appreciated and respected that, and the lessons, and info he was conveying to me. I spoke to him several times in PM as well, and he was always very gracious, kind, and even flattering in one. I thought maybe in the public posts, he was maintaining a tough teacher reputation, and in private, was more personable. It didn't matter, either Rick I got the info was valuable, and respect to the guy is warranted, and deserved due to his longevity (1969) and notoriety in the field. Kinda wish he would return here, but I do know the type of guy he is, and he probably won't. I had always drooled over the Compass Rose, and wished that I could afford to own one. But, that probably won't happen either sad to say.

Last edited:
spring loaded in the pissed off position.

Great use of words Nickie, I just may appropriate it!

Top Bottom