Danny and Mary

Seems like there's a real mule of a story here, that possibly and accidentally has been omitted...

No real story, a couple of rescues. Trying to tame them down.

Rescues!

Well that is a story - please tell me more.

I love animals, all animals.

I've only seen donkeys and mules up close in a petting zoo.

We rescued a couple of Line Back donkeys years ago; Maggie and Worthless. We found Maggie in a decrypted stall, pregnant with no water around on a very hot day. We talked the owner in selling her. She was with us for close to ten years. Her daughter, May, went to a fellow donkey lover across the "crick". She enjoyed many years with other donkeys; getting fed pancakes every Sunday with the herd.

Worthless came to us from an ad by a hunter just wanting to get rid of him. He got the name Worthless for his refusal to haul out a butchered Elk in Eastern Washington State. They shot the elk and dressed it out in front of Worthless. He refused to pack out the meat so the hunters had to trek out the meat in a couple feet of snow to their truck and drag good ole "Worthless" behind them. He hated those hunters big time and took a while for him to cozy up to me. He loved the females though. He was still "Intact" until he started going after his daughter; we even had a 5 foot gate he climbed over to attempt to get at her. We had him snipped and no problems after that. He eventually joined a large herd that roamed 40 acres.

They were smart. We had a couple of beef cows they would stampede thru a weak part of the fence when they wanted out. We finally got rid of the grazin' animals and bought a John Deere tractor in place of them.

There is a horse rescue organization pretty close to us. This organization rescues primiran mares. A gentleman who had some horses of varying degrees of worth and the two mini donkeys died. The horses and the donks went to the rescue farm. I am told that the heirs sold off the desirable horses and the rest were at rescue farm. The donks were kept for a awhile to keep the coyotes away from some of the smaller animals, I think they had some calves there. there. Anyway at some point the donks were no longer necessary. I believe they were slated to be put down as the organization for all the good it does has limited funds and those are dedicated to animals who have a good chance of adoption.
Wife is a real horse person. She found out about them and now they are ours.
The donks are about 32" at the shoulder. They do hate canines. Our big hound (85 lb) got in with them and he was luck to get out alive. Not hurt but a really good scare. The neighbor's little dog got in and the same story. Plans are to tame them down and teach them to drive. Mary the Jenette is the one in the stall. She is up because of a hoof issue. Trying to keep her out of the wet. Danny is the little guy with the white nose. He is a little more tame.

Plunker and Patrick, you are my heroes! :eek:

Here is my rescue:
attachment.php

Oops! Sorry it's a bit big. Got her from the humane society in September. She has obviously had a bad life as she is so skittish and fearful. She has gotten much better, but still runs at the slightest movement or sound that she doesn't know.

I know a lot of people don't like cats, but she is the sweetest thing ever!

Last edited:
...Here is my rescue...

I know a lot of people don't like cats, but she is the sweetest thing ever!

I love cats (and dogs too) but am pet-less currently since our last dog 'Amber' (a Lhasa Apso) who was also rescue passed away at 20 yrs old 2 yrs ago, and out cat 'Fuji' (short-haired domestic) also a rescue passed away at 21 yrs old last May, both died due to old age.

After losing Fuji, I've been so heartbroken and in mourning that it was not until very recently was even able to consider a new pet.

My sister cannot keep her cat 'Gracie' (who is a silver-striped tabby) any more, and we are discussing taking her in to our home permanently now, but I have to give Fuji's old things to the local shelter and get new stuff (toys and litter box) before we can take her.

Whenever I've visited my sister, Gracie always ends up in my lap, purring up a storm, even before I pet her, so I think it will be a good match when she comes here...

I love cats (and dogs too) but am pet-less currently since our last dog 'Amber' (a Lhasa Apso) who was also rescue passed away at 20 yrs old 2 yrs ago, and out cat 'Fuji' (short-haired domestic) also a rescue passed away at 21 yrs old last May, both died due to old age.

After losing Fuji, I've been so heartbroken and in mourning that it was not until very recently was even able to consider a new pet.

My sister cannot keep her cat 'Gracie' (who is a silver-striped tabby) any more, and we are discussing taking her in to our home permanently now, but I have to give Fuji's old things to the local shelter and get new stuff (toys and litter box) before we can take her.

Whenever I've visited my sister, Gracie always ends up in my lap, purring up a storm, even before I pet her, so I think it will be a good match when she comes here...

I lost my Ellie last Feb due to kidney failure. Broke my heart. I had been with her for over 17 years. Decided she would be my last. By summer, I just wasn't myself and started thinking about another. We needed each other!

Can't you just take Gracie with her current toys and litter box from your sister? It would help with her transition to your home to have her own things.

There is a horse rescue organization pretty close to us. This organization rescues primiran mares. A gentleman who had some horses of varying degrees of worth and the two mini donkeys died. The horses and the donks went to the rescue farm. I am told that the heirs sold off the desirable horses and the rest were at rescue farm. The donks were kept for a awhile to keep the coyotes away from some of the smaller animals, I think they had some calves there. there. Anyway at some point the donks were no longer necessary. I believe they were slated to be put down as the organization for all the good it does has limited funds and those are dedicated to animals who have a good chance of adoption.
Wife is a real horse person. She found out about them and now they are ours.
The donks are about 32" at the shoulder. They do hate canines. Our big hound (85 lb) got in with them and he was luck to get out alive. Not hurt but a really good scare. The neighbor's little dog got in and the same story. Plans are to tame them down and teach them to drive. Mary the Jenette is the one in the stall. She is up because of a hoof issue. Trying to keep her out of the wet. Danny is the little guy with the white nose. He is a little more tame.

Wow! That's great. Thanks for sharing the details. :) Sounds like a challenge.

Kudos to you for having an big and open heart while caring for these animals.

Can't you just take Gracie with her current toys and litter box from your sister? It would help with her transition to your home to have her own things.

Yes, you are correct, I will do that.

Taking away all of Fuji's old stuff will be hard, it's taken me this long to accept the idea of another cat.

I know the shelter can use them, and it will help me to practice detachment (Buddhism).

I will keep one small thing to remind me of him, maybe...

They all seem to get better when they know they are loved. Maybe a call to Jackson Galaxy.

Oh YES! that guy can like mind-meld with animals...

Also very cool that he carries his 'tools' in a guitar case. :)

Wow! That's great. Thanks for sharing the details. :) Sounds like a challenge.

Kudos to you for having an big and open heart while caring for these animals.

The truth is the Mrs. is the one who drives this. I go along for the ride and tend to enjoy it. We used to live in a much more rural area than we do now. When ever the kids in the area found an abandoned or hurt animal they all knew to take it to the Mrs. She is not squeamish at all. Snakes, lizards, spiders she is fans of them all. She is the one that stops and picks up the turtle by the road and puts in the nearby natural area so it won't get squashed. One time there was about a 18 inch across cooter at a gas station. Some of the locals eat them. She had me help scoop it up and carry it away to a natural area. I guess that why she married me, always looking out for the strays and outcasts.

Yes, you are correct, I will do that.

Taking away all of Fuji's old stuff will be hard, it's taken me this long to accept the idea of another cat.

I know the shelter can use them, and it will help me to practice detachment (Buddhism).

I will keep one small thing to remind me of him, maybe...

I still have Ellie's toys. As I was going through the bag to try to get rid of some, Bella heard the bell in one of them. I decided to give it to her. It is her favorite toy of all! Drags it around the house! Loves it! Made me so glad I didn't keep it and not let her have it.

Top Bottom