Aloha from North Carolina

shanmoon

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
New Uke aspiring player. I used to play several other instruments at the hobbyist level, and have been a long time fan of the ukelele. Unfortunately about 8 years ago I was in a pretty bad hangliding accident and had lingering nerve damage to my arms and hands. For years it was too disheartening to try to play anything as I constantly dropped instruments or just couldn’t control my fingers. Recently I pulled my classical guitar out of storage, and while I struggled a bit with the loss of sensation in my left hand, I was at least able to play some very simple tunes. Rather than try to get back what I lost with the guitar, I decided to try something new (and hopefully less discouraging).

I had purchased Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK back in the summer of 2015. Tried to play it, but then in discouragement put it away. A couple of years later now, I tried again. I'm struggling but making slow but steady progress. I love the Uke and am determined to master it. It’s a little more guitar-ish sounding than many ukes I have listened to, but I think it will be ok to start with. It is only concert sized, but if I stick with it, I’d like to pick up a nice tenor uke down the road once I feel worthy of it.

I've signed up for a trial of UU+, and so far have found the beginner lessons to be a good refresher, as well as being not-to-challenging for my hands.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!! Best of luck to you in your adventure!

Welcome!! It's only the beginning of the fun and obsession...

what horrible UAS I got while listening to Uke videos... Ended up ordering a Kale Elite Tenor (Kala's made in California solid KOA series) which arrived yesterday. I love it, and kind of dig the low G, but may replace the fluorocarbon strings. I suspect I'll focus on using my concert for most of my practice til I get better and more able to handle a tenor.... so I ended up also buying a Kamaka Concert (the Ohta San), which will arrive Saturday. My feeble justification was to have one concert in low G and one in high G. Can't wait.

Top Bottom