Tyde Learner: Tenor, Spruce + Koa

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Tyde Music caught my eye earlier in the year and I have wanted to buy one of their ukes. The learner uke looked very interesting but I did not want to own a uke for just the laser engravings..

I emailed Tyde asking about the sound quality and they reassured me that sound is their primary focus.

I am glad to share that they undersold their uke :) this is amazing uke.

I customized my order and got the Learner Uke with Spruce top and Koa back, upgraded tuners and some other design changes.

Sound: It sounds really nice with great dynamic range. The slimmer body does change a sound a bit, making it a bit thinner (I only notice this when I play my other tenors immediately after). The sound is different than other tenors I own but it is a good sound. This ukulele can get very loud when you want and can play as soft as you like. The tone is strong and bold and it sounds great all through the fret board. The sustain is very good. There are no dead notes.

Body: The neck and sides are one piece of cherry wood, the top and back are single pieces of spruce and koa respectively. The neck is wide around 38-39 mm at the nut (1.5 inch). The uke feels very nice to hold and is very smooth to the touch all round. The neck and side being one piece of wood feels very nice to hold with smooth curves.

Functionality: This is a really good uke and the laser engravings on it do help! I have learnt a lot more chord shapes and tried more chord transitions due to this uke. Most lessons and carrying charts around would not have helped me as much in experimenting around. In hindsight I would have bought this uke even if there were no laser engravings and I am really glad that it does have them and it looks very nice. Having the notes on the fret helps me improvise with confidence when going up the neck and helps me spend more time there..

Strings: I have Thomastik cf27 and c30 with living water E and A string. I really like this mix. The uke does well with bright fluorocarbons. This is mostly personal preference.

Finish: The finish that it came with was on the shiny side of tru oil finish spectrum. After owning it for a few weeks, I was sure that I will not be selling this uke, I redid the finish to match my taste, steel wool + tru oil a few times did the magic. I plan to try my hand on filling the laser engravings with glow in the dark mix as a summer project.. Folks at Tyde were super helpful through me trying all of this and have given me some awesome advice!

I always wanted a uke with Spruce + Koa, I am glad the Tyde worked with me to change my order and customize the design. Tyler and Devin are passionate folks who make some really amazing ukes!

This is the uke that I play the most in my home.

Please pardon my poor skills and my iPhone mic, this uke is better than my skills and mic it is recorded on.. Sound Sample: https://bit.ly/2sC6tFP

Other instruments:
Mya Moe: All myrtle tenor. Cedar + Mahogany Tenor
Moore Bettah: Spruce + Ebony Tenor
Martin c1k
Fluke n Flea concert
Cocobollo Super Soprano
Waldman Cello Banjo

FYI: HMS has a few of their models ready to purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2991.jpg
    IMG_2991.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2994.jpg
    IMG_2994.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Some more samples

Hit the image limits.. here are few more I clicked.

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2992.jpg
    IMG_2992.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
The last 2 pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 76
I saw this company out at the LA Ukulele Festival last September. I was really impressed by this ukulele, and I’ll probably buy one someday for instructional purposes (as a teacher). I didn’t think the ukulele was the best sounding, but it isn’t meant to be a K-Brand or a Clara, and the other custom ukuleles by the company do have that full sound. This is basically a travel ukulele meant for instruction (yours or someone else’s) and it is brilliant. I would be fine with their standard wood choices, however.

I didn’t think the ukulele was the best sounding, but it isn’t meant to be a K-Brand or a Clara, and the other custom ukuleles by the company do have that full sound. I would be fine with their standard wood choices, however.

I have not tried their other ukes or any other learner so I cannot compare what you heard to what I hear... I hope to visit them if I land up in Lake Tahoe.

I did upgrade my wood choices. Spruce has a lot stronger attack, over all the uke is bright and this uke has a great dynamic range and sustain. Also, the side sound port might have a role to play as well..

This sounds much better to my ear than my martin c1k or fluke.

The convenience of the uke and feel of the uke is really top notch.

Congratulations. I live you woof choices. Spruce and Koa will be my next custom for sure. Are the tuner Gotoh geared? Looks like nice clean workmanship. I enjoyed the HMS video sample. If you are happy that is what counts. I like it.

Sorry for typos. I’m not that good with virtual iPad keyboard. Your wood choices are excellent. I like the stronger dynamics that spruce offers. When you descibe how responsive it sounds playing soft or hard...... says a lot about the build. I also like lite finishes. I think they bring out a clear, nicer sound than a lot of heavy gloss finishes. Congrats again

I have been very curious about these - thank you for the great review!!

Congratulations. I live you woof choices. Spruce and Koa will be my next custom for sure. Are the tuner Gotoh geared? Looks like nice clean workmanship. I enjoyed the HMS video sample. If you are happy that is what counts. I like it.

Yes GOTOH uk700

Sorry for typos. I’m not that good with virtual iPad keyboard. Your wood choices are excellent. I like the stronger dynamics that spruce offers. When you descibe how responsive it sounds playing soft or hard...... says a lot about the build. I also like lite finishes. I think they bring out a clear, nicer sound than a lot of heavy gloss finishes. Congrats again

To be clear, the finish it came with was not heavy, just the same steel wool + tru oil finish but completed in a way to make it shinier than what I did. I think it is a question of technique used but in terms of thickness it is the same.

Hah. I thought "woof" choices was some really cool ukulele lingo.

Was meaning to post this with the review.
HMS interview with Tyde

about 23minute in for those that want to jump forward.
I have a sweet spot for these guys. Met them up at the Reno Uke fest.
The sounds is amazing, and what had me intrigued to start. The nature, design and attitude is wonderful.
I purchased a soprano which is still my favourite uke to play, for now at least as I worked with Tyler and Devin to build a couple of new ones, a concert size and their new pocket size line up.
All have unique and amazing sound, and an absolute pleasure to work with, keeping me updated with pictures and options throughout the build.
Highly recommended!
IMG_5781.jpg

Top Bottom