Help: Want to Buy a Tenor UK less than $300

First choice, cedar top, they really are good - second choice, solid mahogany - the koa is a laminate, but supposedly has a good tone.

Maybe also look at Ohana, I have some solid mahogany ukes that I like the sound of. :)

No experience with the other two, but my wife has a Kala cedar top and just loves it.
I think you'd be happy with any of those, but I do like that cedar top. The tone is amazing.

Kala make some Nice ukuleles. The difference between those you suggest lies very much in the tone woods, which will sound different.

If you live in the UK, check if you live near any of the Ukulele stores listed in the link below. There you might be able to try out some tenors, and they will set up the Ukulele better than an Amazon vendors.
https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-stores.html?m=1

The KA-ATP-CTG is a well-liked ukulele on these forums and for good reasons. It is flashy, loud, resonant, and articulate, with an open tone and good note separation. It was one of the better all-around ukes I've owned.

I do have a few criticisms of the model: 1) volume loss at the higher frets, 2) dodgy fit & finish on the fretboard binding, and 3) occasional setup and intonation problems. Also, on a totally subjective note, the ukulele is a little too guitar-like for me, both in looks in sound.

Nonetheless, it is a sub-$300 tenor that can hold its own against ukes 2x-3x its price, and as such it represents one of the best values in the ukulele market. Buy one from a dealer who does setup and you're highly unlikely to be disappointed.

The KA-ATP-CTG is a well-liked ukulele on these forums and for good reasons. It is flashy, loud, resonant, and articulate, with an open tone and good note separation. It was one of the better all-around ukes I've owned.

I do have a few criticisms of the model: 1) volume loss at the higher frets, 2) dodgy fit & finish on the fretboard binding, and 3) occasional setup and intonation problems. Also, on a totally subjective note, the ukulele is a little too guitar-like for me, both in looks in sound.

Nonetheless, it is a sub-$300 tenor that can hold its own against ukes 2x-3x its price, and as such it represents one of the best values in the ukulele market. Buy one from a dealer who does setup and you're highly unlikely to be disappointed.

Thank you! I do have some concerns on higher frets of KA-ATP-CTG. Not sure how big the problem is compare to other models.

Another concern is I noticed somebody says there might be some problem regarding to humidity for the model. I'm living in Seattle Area, not sure if I need to pay special attention to it.

What I can see from you guys replying is that, among the three, KA-ATP-CTG is the best choice, which I'm going to purchase. Sadly, Mim is super buy having all kinds of fun around the world, I'll have to wait.

Besides, if may I, is there any other model within the price range that you would suggest me research?

Top Bottom