Newbie Low G from High G question

shanmoon

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am very new to the uke, and have been playing a concert size. However, I had the chance to pick up a used Kala elite tenor at a substantial discount as a used instrument, and I jumped on it. It is setup with a low G, and I am tempted to switch it to high G. I know fromereading on the forums that going from high to low sometime requires widening the notch in the nut to accomodat the larger low string. What about going the other way? Will there be any issues with a smaller high G string I should be aware of?

I've never had any problem with my nut slots, so if I were you I'd switch strings with impunity. Let me append that: if I were you, I would leave it as a Low G so that I would have both a linear and a re-entrant tuned ukulele to meet any circumstance that might arise. However, if you feel that you want a second re-entrant ukulele, you may do so freely. If there is some looseness after the change (which is a remote possibility) there are options. You can get a fatter high G string (I have found that the nylon strings are fatter than other materials) and I have heard about people using fillers such as baking soda to build up a slot to be tighter. You can google that eventuality if necessary.

You will have NO problems what so every. Change to high G with peace of mind. The string is under so much tension as it sits in the nut slot it will not move. Anyone that has every owned a Koaloha can attest to how wide all the slots are in the nut and strings don't move around in those one. I have switched from low G to high G and back on at least a dozen different ukes with no problem.

Actually if a uke is set up properly from the factory for low G the nut slot will not be cut as deep. This allows the large diameter high mass string more clearance above the fret wires. This is needed because that string oscillates more.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll trying playing with the low g a bit and see how I like it, and if not, I'll just switch it out.

My uke instructor was nuts for low G and really encouraged me to try it. I didn't for a long time, but was very interested in the guitar-like sound. Then I bought a secondhand Kamoa concert where the previous owner was a guitar player and had restrung it to low G. It has been fun to play with, but I prefer the perkier, "happier" sound of the high G, which is more true ukulele sounding to my ear. I don't want to restring the Kamoa just yet, but it happens to the be uke I prefer playing right now (she's SO PURDY!), so it's low G for me for a while, I guess.

Top Bottom