Season 329 - Nothing Major.

pabrizzer

Reaction score
This week I'm asking you to just bring songs in a minor key.
I’m requesting songs that were originally composed in a minor key (rather than you changing a song that was originally in a major key into a minor key).
No limit and of course original songs are encouraged.
Season starts in 11 hours and ends 8 days later.
Here's a little minor originoodle in Gm.

Playlist

Last edited:
Awesome, pa!

I imagine we'll hear a lot of blues this week!

Having no understanding of music theory, can I assume if the first chord in a song is minor, that the song is thus in a minor key? One of the people I play with doesn't sing or use charts, and he always asks what key the song is in. It seems the first chord played in the song ends up being the key he plays melody in. . .

Having no understanding of music theory, can I assume if the first chord in a song is minor, that the song is thus in a minor key? One of the people I play with doesn't sing or use charts, and he always asks what key the song is in. It seems the first chord played in the song ends up being the key he plays melody in. . .

Usually so, yes - if the song sounds resolved (ie it doesn't leave you with the feeling that thay didn't come to a finish) the last chord is a more reliable guide.

Found this minor key chord chart.
music_chords_in_the_key_of_a_b_c_d_e_f_g_flat_sharp_minor-727x1024.jpg

Like all things nothing really set in concrete and I'm certainly not big on the theory side of music. My little Gm originoodle intro vid has a Dmaj chord that dosen't fit with this chart.

Last edited:
I worry that the pedants may arrive and try to bewilder us with their superior knowledge of music theory.
If you bring a song/s that you genuinely believe sounds minor key to you I'll be really pleased....

Last edited:
Usually so, yes - if the song sounds resolved (ie it doesn't leave you with the feeling that thay didn't come to a finish) the last chord is a more reliable guide.

Found this minor key chord chart.
View attachment 109465

Like all things nothing really set in concrete and I'm certainly not big on the theory side of music. My little Gm originoodle intro vid has a Dmaj chord that dosen't fit with this chart.

Which is perfectly good music theory. A major V chord is pretty much mandatory even in minor-keyed music because with our musical conditioning it wouldn't sound right if it was a minor V.

There will almost always be (as in, almost never NOT be) some major chords when playing in a minor key, in the same way that there are very often minor chords when playing in a major key.

I have a question for the group about the minor chords and music theory and cognitive science. Songs in the minor chords evoke more emotion - they make us feel melancholy, sad, emotional.

Why is that?

How can the particular frequencies of some vibrations of particles moving through the air create predictable emotional reactions in the brain? I mean, if it's about a person remembering feelings they had in the past while listening to a song, that's understandable, but songs in the minor chords are different than that. I would argue that they create these feelings regardless of whether one has heard them before or not. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe we've come to associate these songs with sadness and that's what does it.

You can control the reactions of lots of animals by applying certain stimuli. Wave a toy in front of a cat and it will become playful. Are we controlled instinctually in the same way? Play something in the key of Em and we get the blues?

I think minor key songs often sound a little more melancholy than their major key counterparts but not always. Some reggae songs in minor keys have a joyous feel imho. I think rhythm, tempo and metre also play their part in the 'feel' of a song.

I worry that the pedants may arrive and try to bewilder us with their superior knowledge of music theory.

I'm with Ubulele on this. That was totally unnecessary. A knowledge of music theory is very useful and to put it down in that tone puts you with the "pedants" you affect to despise.

BTW, you were right it's the final chord that determines whether the key is major or minor.

Yeah, I feel like starting a theme based on music theory, however basic a concept it is, and then asking the people who know a lot about theory to take a step back is a bit much .

However there are some people who tend come in with unsolicited and at times patronising essays for even the simplest questions which can overwhelm beginners especially.

That being said I never understood anything about theory until I started joining in here, so there is good advice to be had and it does improve your playing

Well, my knowledge of music theory is absolutely non-existent (who would have guessed?) I have actually got a book somewhere entitled something like "Music Theory for Ukulele Players" ... but I've lost it. Now, as a result of this discussion, I have learnt the one thing I needed to know - that it is ending on a minor chord which determines that a song is in a minor key. Lighten up, Chaps!

If you bring a song/s that you genuinely believe sounds minor key to you I'll be really pleased....

This was written mainly in response to post #4.
I don't want anyone's concern about music theory to discourage them from bringing a song or songs.

............. with the "pedants" you affect to despise.

just totally untrue Geoff.

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel like starting a theme based on music theory, however basic a concept it is, and then asking the people who know a lot about theory to take a step back is a bit much .

Bit much or not that is exactly what I was hoping for. Play rather than say I guess is what I'd like.

(Am) If My Eyes Were Blind the (F) darkest night would never hold a (C) mystery
(Am) If My Eyes Were Blind, I’d (F) hold your features fast within my (C) memory
Within my (G) mind, If My Eyes Were (Am) Blind

Should my voice grow weak, only you could hear the voice inside me
Should my voice grow weak, but never with the word would I deny thee
I would not speak, should my voice grow weak

Should my mind grow dim and innocent as on the day God made me
Should my mind grow dim, I’d love you like a child or a baby
I’d be gentle as a lamb, should my mind grow dim

When my youth is gone, in my eyes you shall remain a beauty
When my youth is gone, in my ears I’ll hear you singing sweetly
The sweetest song, when my youth is gone

And When my body dies, darlin’ I could never leave you lonely
My spirit shall arise to comfort and to care for you only