Season 329 - Nothing Major.

I've always liked this song, which was first recorded by Porter Wagoner, and later by Chris LeDoux. Plus out esteemed host this week, and others here in the Seasons, enjoy wearing hats, so hats off to all you ukulele playing hat wearers!

probably last one from me mate.
one of my most favourite traditional songs.
recorded today on concert ukulele.

This Jace Everett song was used as the theme song for the HBO series, "True Blood."

In going over old song books to see which ones I had not recorded for my YouTube channel, I almost overlooked this old song of mine, because its message is so upbeat that I imagined it must be in a major key. Then, to my surprise, I saw it was actually in Em. (Unless anyone with more musical knowledge can inform me that "actually it is in X Mode which while using a minor home key is actually a major mode!") I am open to that being possible... or is it? Musicologists amongst us?

Anyway, this song takes me back to my last year at University when I used to go out into the Lancashire countryside in search of small rural pubs. These bars, often close to canal towpaths, were usually the hub of social life for a large catchment area. From Friday to Sunday afternoon they would essentially become community centres at which everything from parish meetings to local hops would take place. They often had some real old characters who would entertain with a song (or five) or else show off incredible skills at billiards, darts or - in the case of our protagonist from this song - bar skittles. If you don't know what that is, there is a photo of a bar skittle board at the end of the song. Although the one Skittle Jack played was considerably bigger.

Thematically the song confirms one of my firm beliefs that local "celebrities" are an essential part of any community and the drive for mass culture is threatening the very survival of such characters. Far fewer people go to see local artists than used to and often young people would prefer to pay €80 to see a manufactured pop band who have been on TV, rather than fork out a fiver to dance to a great authentic stomping bar band from their local area. Sad, isn't it?

Incidentally, it is a sign of how the world has changed that my protagonist "sitting kids upon his knee" was a sign of what a nice guy he was. In 1978, the obsession with paedophiles and the presumption of guilt's triumph over the presumption of innocence had not yet taken hold of society.

Anyway, I'll shut up and let you listen. Hope you like it.

Late to the party.Been on a little wilderness holiday..no uke or internet.Glad I made it back for the minor fest! I do like a minor tune.Here's one from Tom Waits.It has echoes in the chords and melody of Rev. Gary Davis's "I heard the angel singing". One of the Reverend's Em songs.he did a few.But while the Reverend's is a song of redemption Tom's is a somewhat nihilistic old dirge.
"Dirt in the ground"

edit..video fixed..made public now

Last edited:
oops, I spoke too soon, brother...
remembered this soul destroying song tonight
from one of my favourite rekkids, so I had a shot at it.
Richard Buckner's debut LP, Bloomed, 1994.
22. baritone ukulele and voice.

There's not much life left in these strings so pushed my luck doing this one. Madness version in Am...………..

OK, are you ready for some classical picking? Matteo Carcassi has composed some pieces, that, like the famous Spanish Romace, start in e-minor, followed by a part in e-major and finishing in e-minor again. On the ukulele they sound best in a-minor. Like this Allegretto, arranged by Samantha Muir.
Well, a little bit of major doesn't wreak any havoc, as long as the overall impression is MINOR

Shallow Grave

This song is about as minor as they come. I learned it from the Roe Family Singers from their album The Earth and All That Is In It. The song is about a woman who killed her husband, tried to bury him, finds it was more work than she bargained for and he returns to haunt her. Awesome! Please go check out their website and Facebook page, you won't regret it.

Here is my version of their song Shallow Grave, multi-tracked and played on my Ko'Aloha soprano.

Last edited:
Interrupting the thread,

Any UK members who get Uke Magazine, take a look near the beginning of the new edition. There's a little item on YorkSteve's 365 Uke Songs project. I PM'd him about it but he's on holiday just now so hasn't seen it yet.

Well done to Steve. It's a worthwhile project.

Now you can return to your minor key songs

An old folk song. I believe that this is an English version of a song written by either J.S. Bach, or possibly by his wife Anna Magdalena. The Bach original was titled "So oft ich meine Tobackspfeife."

A poetic translation of the original German lyrics are below. They are not the same as the version I sang.

Whene'er I take my pipe and stuff it
And smoke to pass the time away
My thoughts, as I sit there and puff it,
Dwell on a picture sad and grey:
It teaches me that very like
Am I myself unto my pipe.

Like me this pipe, so fragrant burning,
Is made of naught but earthen clay;
To earth I too shall be returning,
And cannot halt my slow decay.
My well used pipe, now cracked and broken,
Of mortal life is but a token.

No stain, the pipe's hue yet doth darken;
It remains white. Thus do I know
That when to death's call I must harken
My body, too, all pale will grow.
To black beneath the sod 'twill turn,
Likewise the pipe, if oft it burn.

Or when the pipe is fairly glowing,
Behold then instantaneously,
The smoke off into thin air going,
'Til naught but ash is left to see.
Man's fame likewise away will burn
And unto dust his body turn.

How oft it happens when one's smoking,
The tamper's missing from it's shelf,
And one goes with one's finger poking
Into the bowl and burns oneself.
If in the pipe such pain doth dwell
How hot must be the pains of Hell!

Thus o'er my pipe in contemplation
Of such things - I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation,
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

I dunno...I think this works. Besides, who doesn’t love chicken-fried Depeche Mode on ukulele...
Oh.
Wait.

I enjoyed this very much! Mahalo for sharing.

I might just have to add this to my repertoire...

Interrupting the thread,

Any UK members who get Uke Magazine, take a look near the beginning of the new edition. There's a little item on YorkSteve's 365 Uke Songs project. I PM'd him about it but he's on holiday just now so hasn't seen it yet.

Well done to Steve. It's a worthwhile project.

Now you can return to your minor key songs

He mentions the uke magazing thing in his latest addition to his blog (Song #158)
He is doing really well with donations of 1100 quid (of his aim of 1500).
If he still manages to keep up with the seasons he'll get some more money from me.
Anyone reading this who hasn't made a donation - it is a very worthy cause.

Certainly WELL DONE Steve.

I managed to get something recorded on my camping trip.

Europa.

Here is my entry for the week pa. A Beatles minor song.
I must give credit to AllYouNeedIsLub for the vocal harmony breakdown.
Hoping to listen to you all tomorrow :)

Top Bottom