Need Alternate Chord/s for Songs using Chord 0235 a Model Chord

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I need help. On my Tenor I can just make the stretch with no pain when the chord 0235 is called for. However, on my Baritone I cannot get from fret 2 to fret 5 with out pain in my hand and thumb. If there is any other chords that work please let me know. Usually the chord pops up when the melody note is on string 1, fret 5. Thank you, Johnny

G5 "chord".
You can play with 02x5, muting with index finger in re-entrant uke. Fret with little finger the high D.

Is it the way you hold the uke that is causing the difficulty? If you habitually cradle the neck in the gap between your thumb and forefinger, it makes it awkward. Have you tried placing the pad of your thumb on the back of the neck?

Just a thought.

John Colter.

Because of physical condition of my left arm and hand including the thumb, to put the thumb on the back of the ukulele with even the slightest pressure would wet down my ukulele with tears. I use to do that with a 6 string but that was years ago.

What I am doing is playing Chord Melodies. Many of the songs have a melody note on string 1 fret 5 and call for the fingering 0235. So I am looking for alternate fingerings that I can use while playing the melody note on fret 5, string 1. I use mostly Mike Lynch books one thru three. The song I am working on now is an old favorite Irish number, Carrickfergus. I transposed it from an old song book, single note melody, to key of G so it would fit on the ukulele. In G I am still playing some notes on string 4. Maybe I could transpose it further up the fretboard, however, if possible, I would like to stay in G.

Sorry I forgot to mention, I am playing a Baritone Ukulele tuned DGBE and also a Tenor Ukulele tuned,low G, GCEA. I am plalying the song Carrickferus the same on each ukulele. Sounds best on the Tenor.

G5 "chord".
You can play with 02x5, muting with index finger in re-entrant uke. Fret with little finger the high D.
Since you're on linear baritone and need the top 5, you could also do 0x35

I will be happy to receive more ideas in case I need them in the future. However, at present my problem has been solved. Thanks to all of you for the great information and ideas.

Is it the way you hold the uke that is causing the difficulty? If you habitually cradle the neck in the gap between your thumb and forefinger, it makes it awkward. Have you tried placing the pad of your thumb on the back of the neck?

Just a thought.

John Colter.

A bit off the reservation aren't we JC ?

Jarvo

by any other name

Sorry, Jarvo - I don't get your drift, but it's good to hear from you. How's things?

John C.

Sorry, Jarvo - I don't get your drift, but it's good to hear from you. How's things?

John C.

No problem John me old mucker , it's just a bit of a jolt to see someone from Cosmos here given the level of antipathy often demonstrated towards UU (NOT Unseen University I hasten to clarify), but I know that not everyone thinks the same way.

Sven is sculling about somewhere as well. Welcome aboard :D

CJ

I'm still a regular on Cosmos, but that does not define who I am and what I am about. I am far from being a new boy, here on UU. I feel comfortable in both forums - on my own terms.

John Colter.

I'm still a regular on Cosmos, but that does not define who I am and what I am about. I am far from being a new boy, here on UU. I feel comfortable in both forums - on my own terms.

John Colter.
It's the first time I seen you, I'm sorry.

Top Bottom