Happy chords are dying out...

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here I am. Was reading another thread where some said that the happiest sounding chords were major, while minor chords often evoked sadness. I'm not very up on music theory, but always assumed this too. I saw this article, which I found interesting; they claim that the happiest sounding are 7th chords. What say you?

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/happy-chords/

Very interesting. I really hadn't even noticed this, and I listen to Classical music two or three times a week.

I'm not buying a word of that. Minor seventh is the happiest of chords? Um, no.

For me it's all about context - what's the sequence? Where does it take you?

John Colter

"the sound most consistently associated with happy lyrics was the Minor 7th chord"

I'll just say that's not my experience. If others more consistently believe that, so be it.

Regardless of key, notes, voicing, etc etc etc.... The happiest chord is whatever one I play without flubbing it all up.

Different thing, I know, but my favourite chord is GM7. I like all the Major 7 chords, but GM7 really speaks to me.

John Colter

I tend to favor sus4 and add9 chords, along with a few diminshed thrown in for good measure,

I dunno if it's happy or sad, but the 'cadence' of the notes in the chord's voicing, and how they resolve to what follows, is what drives the music for me.

Top Bottom