Buying Brazilian Rosewood

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
I've an opportunity to consider some B/R back/sides sets. Haven't done any of that and wondered what your experience has been.

Chuck B

Consider them and then buy something better like claro walnut or Oregon myrtle... It is a wholly overrated tonewoods for ukulele. Use it in guitars and you are talking a whole different game of penuckle.

Last edited:
I have built 3 ukes with all Brazilian rosewood body, the sound was as good as any other wood I have used. As long the wood is well seasoned and stable it will work fine. The only problem I can see using it would be all the legal paper work getting it and selling it outside the USA, lower 48.

PS, I personally hate walnut for instruments although I have used it. Just my humble opinion.

Back n sides contribute very little to tone in a uke, so dont buy it thinking you are going to get a 'better tone'.
Much like figured koa, I buy it as it is a desirable wood that is very beautiful.
I (and anyone else) could make a uke from plain maple or walnut that sounds as good as one made from figured koa or Brazilian rosewood.

Rare, expensive woods are like jewelry...utterly unnecessary but if you got the $$$, its nice to be pretty :)

Spend money on a great top- thats where it all the tone comes from (well, 90%+)

Not to be difficult, but Braz Rosewood on the top for a soprano uke works very well, at least that is my experience. Very clear articulate notes and a lovely quality to the overall sound. Ukes are not guitars as we all know.

Chuck is referring to Brazilian Rosewood and Honduran Rosewood offered for sale by noted guitar luthier Dake Traphagen. He has been making Guitars for 35 years with these woods and has accumulated some uke sized sets that he has no use for. Beautiful, high quality wood, and Dake has the CITEs paperwork for it all. I have seen some of it. Would make spectacular ukuleles. Google Dake Traphagen, Bellingham Wa. if you want to see it.

Oh, and by the way. I have made a couple of tenors with Brazilian bodys. Wonderful tone and clarity. The back and sides to make a contribution in my opinion.

Last edited:
What is he selling the BRW uke sets for?

Chuck is referring to Brazilian Rosewood and Honduran Rosewood offered for sale by noted guitar luthier Dake Traphagen. He has been making Guitars for 35 years with these woods and has accumulated some uke sized sets that he has no use for. Beautiful, high quality wood, and Dake has the CITEs paperwork for it all. I have seen some of it. Would make spectacular ukuleles. Google Dake Traphagen, Bellingham Wa. if you want to see it.

Oh, and by the way. I have made a couple of tenors with Brazilian bodys. Wonderful tone and clarity. The back and sides to make a contribution in my opinion.

So I do have legal Brazilian rosewood with CITIES for sale along with Honduran rosewood for all size Uke's.
There are no issues using Brazilian or traveling abroad with your instrument. If you want to export instruments to sell then you have to to apply for permits which is very doable. No big deal just takes time. People make it a big deal out of having/using Brazilian rosewood when it's just more of a hassle than anything else for exporters not players. If you're a player no worries, just like any other wood.
As for the sound, every wood used for back and sides affect the sound, primarily the tonal color of the instrument. All the parts of an instrument work together in making a complete sounding instrument. The top is the single most important item but it wouldn't be able to function without all the other woods around it.
You can PM me for more info or better yet email me for photos of the wood. There are a few photos on my Facebook page, Dake Traphagen.
I've made Uke's out of several back and side woods including Brazilian and they all sound a little different. Cheers

As long as the CITES certification is there then I approve. However price would be my issue. It is what it is and of course, we all upcharge our clients accordingly. As much as I would like this stuff I can get more sets of myrtle for what I would pay for rosewood. It is purely a cost issue with me. But hey, go for it. They look really nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom