Ukulele Cases

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I like to have a hard case for each ukulele, but there are so many choices. The best situation is getting the uke shipped to you in its case, but that isn’t always possible, so you have to start looking. Generally speaking, I buy a better quality case for a better quality uke. Putting a $50 uke into a $100 case doesn’t make sense.

What do I look for? I prefer dome-top cases, since they are stronger. I like a case with three or more clasps, the kind with the loop that flips up. All hard cases seem to have a little storage compartment, but I have one with a compartment that is so shallow that a tuner won’t fit inside, so that’s a consideration.

The Velcro that holds the neck in place is a very nice feature because the uke moves around less. It’s very easy to attach a piece of Velcro if the case doesn’t come with one. Just be sure to cover the attaching screw to avoid scratching the neck. At least one shoulder strap is a nice feature, and having backpack straps is even better. Like the Velcro, it’s not difficult to attach strap rings to the case if it doesn’t come with them.

It’s got to be difficult for case makers to come up with good dimensions. I have ukes that will fit into one case, but not another, even though they are the same general size uke - soprano, concert, or tenor. Sometimes, having a strap button on the end will make the difference between fitting into the case or having to look for a different model. A clever designer could come up with a case that would accommodate different sizes and shapes of ukulele.

Hawaii Music Supply sent me a couple of ukes in cases, and they had a very nice piece of wrapped foam that went around the headstock to take up the slack. I’d like to see things like that for sale, for both the headstock and the bout.

I would like to see makers of non-standard ukes work with case makers to produce a hard case for their special ukuleles. The Ohana VitaUke has its own special case. Tyler St. Clare, maker of the Dewdrop, is looking into that, and I hope he’s successful. I did find a nice tenor case that fits my Dewdrop perfectly. The Firefly was a different story, though, and I wound up making my own wooden case. I used quarter inch plywood, but I should have used thinner, lighter lauan.

Having metal or rubber feet on the bottom and side is important to keep the case of the floor or the ground.

A tip: When you’re at an event, or even just home, if the uke is in its case, even just temporarily, lock at least one clasp. If the case gets knocked to the floor, and it’s not locked, the uke will probably fall out and get damaged. That happened to someone I know. At a recent ukulele event, I heard four ukes fall and hit the floor, so be careful when you put your uke down.

One consideration you didn't mention: I like my cases to have a loop or exterior strap so that I can hang the case on the wall. The lack of hangability is the one gripe I have with my kamaka case.

Not alot of experience with cases, but the dome topped variety will always cost more. I've had a couple of the the cheapo flat-top $25.00 soprano cases from eBay, 1 in tweed, one in black gatorhide. They get the job done, and I've found that they are a bit longer than some; a concert will actually fit, although snugly at the upper bouts. But, both of those had sticky tops, requiring 2 hands to open, very annoying, not sure why they can't get that right.

My best case now is an arch top Guardian sop case, with the cushy green fabric inside, very nice. One I liked even better was an Oahu arch top sop case, plain black tolex, available from HMS at a good price. That one was really solid, great hardware, and reminded me of vintage cases from the past. It also had 2 rings on the outside for a carrying strap, which is handy. Unfortunately, that one was requested as part of a uke deal, so it went down the road.

Last edited:
Not alot of experience with cases, but the dome topped variety will always cost more. I've had a couple of the the cheapo flat-top $25.00 soprano cases from eBay, 1 in tweed, one in black gatorhide. They get the job done, and I've found that they are a bit longer than some; a concert will actually fit, although snugly at the upper bouts. But, both of those had sticky tops, requiring 2 hands to open, very annoying, not sure why they can't get that right.

My best case now is an arch top Guardian sop case, with the cushy green fabric inside, very nice. One I liked even better was an Oahu arch top sop case, plain black tolex, available from HMS at a good price. That one was really solid, great hardware, and reminded me of vintage cases from the past. It also had 2 rings on the outside for a carrying strap, which is handy. Unfortunately, that one was requested as part of a uke deal, so it went down the road.

It's sitting right behind me in the living room, and I like it a lot. Thanks, John.

I absolutely love the leather-wrapped Oahu fiberglass cases, which I believe our friend Andrew at HMS masterminded.

They are only a bit more $ than standard wood-frame hard cases, and a fraction of the cost of the fiberglass cases I investigated before these appeared on the market.

They are fairly adjustable with the additional padding strips; I have a six-string with a cutaway that's asymmetrical on both the upper and lower bouts, and I was able to get a cozy fit on both sides thanks to those pads. The case also has hooks and a shoulder strap, so you can hang on the wall as mentioned. I have two tenor cases, and a baritone case for my Kanilea super tenor.

I like the Crossrock 1000 series and have my Kamaka tenor in one. I like its silver color as it will not absorb sunlight and thus heat up the instrument inside. For that reason I avoid the black cases though I do have one for another Kamaka - it is a domed top. I still travel with good gig bags as the airlines are much friendlier. I have traveled all over North and South America with banjos and guitars as well - the Reunion Blues banjo bags are amazing for travel. Guitars have usually traveled in standard hard cases and the best of those was a Godin case that is hardish foam on the outside under a canvas cover and there is a suspended form fitting cradle inside. The outside absorbs knocks better that the case that is hard outside and padded. I have never seen these for ukuleles and the RB cases are not for sopranos.
My 2 cents worth

I would like to see makers of non-standard ukes work with case makers to produce a hard case for their special ukuleles. The Ohana VitaUke has its own special case. Tyler St. Clare, maker of the Dewdrop, is looking into that, and I hope he’s successful. I did find a nice tenor case that fits my Dewdrop perfectly. The Firefly was a different story, though, and I wound up making my own wooden case. I used quarter inch plywood, but I should have used thinner, lighter lauan.

I can't speak for the concert or tenor FireFly banjo ukuleles, but I use a Vita Uke case for my soprano model. Fits perfectly! The only drawback is, I have 2 Vita Ukes, and the Firefly, so I have to remember to look at the luggage tag, so I know which one I'm grabbing. (g)

-Kurt​

I have a Phitz case, that is heavy, longer than average and seems damn near indestructible. It's silver so it reflects sunlight.
I also have a Freemont case that is lighter, and rectangle shaped, that even holds my tenor size banjouke. I really like it.
Crossrocks are great, but I'm not buying one until I wear out these others.

I can't speak for the concert or tenor FireFly banjo ukuleles, but I use a Vita Uke case for my soprano model. Fits perfectly! The only drawback is, I have 2 Vita Ukes, and the Firefly, so I have to remember to look at the luggage tag, so I know which one I'm grabbing. (g)

-Kurt​

That's good to know. My Vita is in a Vita case which I got when the price was low. I have a Firefly concert arriving tomorrow, and I'll try it in various cases to see how it fits. A couple of years ago, I made a wooden case for the Firefly, but I'd prefer a commercial model.

What case do you use for your Scepter?

Most of my ukes have a hard case, but they came with the instruments or I ordered them together with the ukuleles to ensure that they would fit. I bought a case separately once and it promptly didn't fit the ukulele I had purchased it for. My favorite case is the one my Pono baritone came in, chiefly because of the "arched" lid where the bridge is, but these seem to be relatively rare. I actually prefer well-padded gig bags for convenience (and those latches on hard cases always seem hazardous!), but hard cases are hard to beat for storage and transport.

Last edited:
Most of my ukes have a hard case, but they came with the instruments or I ordered them together with the ukuleles to ensure that they would fit. I bought a case separately once and it promptly didn't fit the ukulele I had purchased it for. My favorite case is the one my Pono baritone came in, chiefly because of the "arched" lid where the bridge is, but these seem to be relatively rare. I actually prefer well-padded gig bags for convenience (and those lids on hard cases always seem hazardous!), but hard cases are hard to beat for storage and transport.

Yes, I like the domed hard cases, which are said to be a lot stronger. The hard foam, zippered cases are a good deal. They're reasonably-priced, lightweight, and they offer a lot of protection. I just don't like the zipper.

I've got a KoAloha Opio concert. It came with a nice gig bag. Come fall and winter I will need to humidify it. Do I need a hard case for the humidifier to work properly? If so, who knows what hard cases will fit my uke well? I'm going nuts searching online, where very few sites give the full inner measurements of the cases they sell.

I'm guessing I can be sure that an Oahu concert from HMS will fit it well, no?

Thanks.

I've got a KoAloha Opio concert. It came with a nice gig bag. Come fall and winter I will need to humidify it. Do I need a hard case for the humidifier to work properly? If so, who knows what hard cases will fit my uke well? I'm going nuts searching online, where very few sites give the full inner measurements of the cases they sell.

I'm guessing I can be sure that an Oahu concert from HMS will fit it well, no?

Thanks.

A hard case is best when using a humidifier. HMS will know what case will be a good fit.

A 1920s-30s Gibson Uke-2

Gibson uke-2.jpg

I also like that for an instrument of this type, the case has a nice vintage look.

Just give a call to HMS. They can tell you what fits. Their Oahu cases are the best cases for the money I have seen, even when adding in shipping from HI.

I've got a KoAloha Opio concert. It came with a nice gig bag. Come fall and winter I will need to humidify it. Do I need a hard case for the humidifier to work properly?

It depends a bit on the gig bag, but yes, probably. As Jerry suggested, I'd check with HMS or one of the other reputable dealers, they'll pick something that fits. Humidifying the room would be an alternative, and also good for the player.

Top Bottom