Build Thread: Custom Tenor Ukulele by Marshall Stapleton

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
Well,

I have bit the bullet and paid the deposit for a custom ukulele.

I was very taken with the Pono Macassar Ebony series but they are very difficult to get in the UK so decided to look at pursuing the bespoke route.

This is going to be a 65th birthday present from my wife, (will probably include Christmas too :)).

I contacted a few luthiers, both well known, and not so well known, with my original specification and after a fair amount of emails going back and forth decided to go with Marshall Stapleton.

Marshall is well known, down to earth, and very honest when discussing the specification, also his enthusiasm just came across in his emails.

Some of you may have heard of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, Marshall has both played for, (along with George Hinchliffe and a few others, the embryonic Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain was started), and supplied ukuleles to the UOGB.

http://marshallstapleton.wix.com/guitars#!

My original specification was

Macassar ebony back and sides
Cedar top
Slotted headstock
Ebony fretboard and bridge
Fretboard bound with maple
Ebony faceplate on the headstock
Maple binding

After a few emails with Marshall it's currently standing at

Macassar ebony back and sides
Torrefied spruce top
Additional sound hole on upper bout
Slotted headstock
Conical fretboard
Ebony fretboard and bridge
Fretboard bound with maple
Ebony faceplate on the headstock
Maple binding

Other details such nut width, bridge type, rosette design etc., (I really like his rosette designs, and it will be difficult to choose), will be discussed as and when required.

I asked Marshall about the pros and cons of a radiused fretboard, and he says he prefers a conical fretboard, so that's that decided.

I originally wanted a cedar top but then, after a lot of Google searches about tonewoods, read about torrefied spruce. Marshall was interested in using this top, so I've decided to go for it as it's something different, and it is a custom build after all.

Marshall has kindly agreed to let me post images of the build here, so hopefully I'll be able to share what will be, for me, an exciting next few months.

He is currently quite busy so don't I do not expect anything soon, but couldn't wait to share :D

Congratulations, it seems a well thought out collaboration. I had to research "conical fretboard" to find out it is a compound radius, Kinnard does those. If you like a radius you will like the conical/compound, I've owned two Kinnards and liked the playability. Good choice on the torrified spruce. What is this second soundhole on the upper bout??? Are you referring to a side sound port or will this have two sound holes on the top?? I will look forward to the pictures

good choice with a torrified spruce top. Would have gone with Redwood.
also try a string thru bridge design and 1.5 inch wide nut.
try add a Arm Bevel and Scopp cutaway. :)

Congratulations, it seems a well thought out collaboration. I had to research "conical fretboard" to find out it is a compound radius, Kinnard does those. If you like a radius you will like the conical/compound, I've owned two Kinnards and liked the playability. Good choice on the torrified spruce. What is this second soundhole on the upper bout??? Are you referring to a side sound port or will this have two sound holes on the top?? I will look forward to the pictures

A side sound port.

Cool. Following!

good choice with a torrified spruce top. Would have gone with Redwood.
also try a string thru bridge design and 1.5 inch wide nut.
try add a Arm Bevel and Scopp cutaway. :)

I'll probably go with 40mm nut width and 10mm between string, as per my KoAloha.

I thought about Redwood, so many choices.....

Also thought about an arm bevel/comfort edge but having not built one before, he didn't want the first one to be a custom made ukulele.

I think the scoop cutaway would fit into the same bracket.

Last edited:
It looks as if you will have something really special. Looking forward to updates on progress.

Congratulations, Steve. Exciting times!

John Colter

Well, after planing down the set these "spalting" spots appeared.

They are not soft and will not affect the strength at all, but it's up to me whether I want a different set or not.

Torn between having a standard pretty Macassar back and a really interesting totally one off back....

Back 01.jpg
Back 02.jpg
Sides 1.jpg

Well seeing as you asked........I would not go with that back. The "spots" just don't do it for me. But it is your instrument so you should go with what you prefer.

I like the spots! Looks like it's been in a bar fight or two. :cool:

Decided to go with the second ukulele set, without the spots.

It's from stock originally cut in the 60's, so 50 odd years old already.

Also going with these Rubner tuners, after Pete Howlett suggested taking a look at Rubner.

Rubner Tuners.jpg

Black nickel-plated brass
Elaborate engravings
Ebony buttons
PTFE mounting
Shaft spacing: 35 mm
Metal shafts

I'd also like to fit a pickup, but which one?

I've read great report of the Misi Acoustic Trio, but even this comes with or without volume and tone control.

Any suggestions?

I currently use an iRig Acoustic Stage, so I suppose I could just carry on using it as it's pretty damn good.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:
I own 6 ukes with LR Baggs 5.0, two baritones and four tenors. I own 2 ukes (I've had others) with Misi, a tenor and a super concert that one has the volume tone control wheels. I also own an iRig Acoustic Stage, same as you do. Both LR Baggs and Misi sound very very close to one another. I would give the slight nod to the Baggs, I really like the volume wheel. If you get the Misi definitely get the volume tone wheels.

The iRig is ok but for performing live I just really like the ease of plug and play. Nothing to hook onto the uke, no thin little wire dangling about, no preamp I have to clip onto my belt. The iRig, as you know, has a nice sound but not with all my ukes. Some sound too boomy which can be inherent with an internal mic. Same with feedback problems, I don't want any of those hassles on stage.

Top Bottom