Koaloha friction tuners for sale

frianm

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a set of these great friction tuners for sale. Of all the friction tuners I have used these must be the best. However I have upgraded to Gotoh uptl tuners and so these are available. The buttons are amber with the Koaloha logo on them. Asking $45 shipped in the Continental USA. I am reminded that these have a patina of age!
IMG_3598.jpg

Last edited:
It looks as if the bushings and barrels have a sort of media-blasted finish instead of being shiny. I've never seen those tuners with a surface like that before.

It looks as if the bushings and barrels have a sort of media-blasted finish instead of being shiny. I've never seen those tuners with a surface like that before.

I believe it is oxidization from age. The instrument from which I took them is an Opio longneck soprano, which I bought well used. The posts are shiny and it is just the top and bottom bushings that show the effect of climate. I have just recently played this instrument while on an extended visit to Peru where the atmosphere is a tad caustic. I am not saying that my visit there would be wholly responsible BUT I do recognize the age and climate issue.

I believe it is oxidization from age. The instrument from which I took them is an Opio longneck soprano, which I bought well used. The posts are shiny and it is just the top and bottom bushings that show the effect of climate. I have just recently played this instrument while on an extended visit to Peru where the atmosphere is a tad caustic. I am not saying that my visit there would be wholly responsible BUT I do recognize the age and climate issue.

Ahh. Seems a likely cause then.

One could use the marketing term 'patina', which is highly desirable to some folks when looking for items that have been aged naturally.

IMHO, this makes these tuners special and unique.

The lucky buyer will have something really special here.

Ahh. Seems a likely cause then.

One could use the marketing term 'patina', which is highly desirable to some folks when looking for items that have been aged naturally.

IMHO, this makes these tuners special and unique.

The lucky buyer will have something really special here.

Good idea - done and THANKS

You can polish them with fine steel wool and they will look like new. ;)

You can polish them with fine steel wool and they will look like new. ;)

Good thinking but I shall leave that to the buyer. They came of an Opio long neck soprano which I really love and play most of the time. I just love the Gotoh upt tuners and have slowly put them on a few of my instruments. As a banjo player I really love planetary tuners and the Gotoh are gems. The Kolaoha friction tuners are the best I have ever used on ukulele or banjo.

I have not visited your island - only the Big Island and Kauai - we make it every couple of years. I wish I could afford to live/retire there!

Aloha

Top Bottom